• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

filming archery

mschultz373

SH Member
do y'all film your archery hunts for the purpose of analyzing shot placement and in aid of recovery after?

this will be my first season hunting archery and I'm wondering if having some way to film would be helpful. of course, any harvest would allow one to analyze shot placement; but in the case where you make a poor shot and cannot recover the deer, has filming your shots been useful?

The only way I'd film a hunt is with a GoPro, strapped to my head. :)
I'm not missing a shot on a nice deer, because I was messing around with the camera. o_O

How long does a GoPro battery last? It’s not that long is it? I know my BNL uses them for Bass tournaments, and he has to keep them plugged in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long does a GoPro battery last? It’s not that long is it? I know my BNL uses them for Bass tournaments, and he has to keep them plugged in.
I have no idea, but if I were to use one I'd have it plugged in to an external battery to make sure it lasted long enough for filming of the shot. Plus, I wouldn't even turn it on, until it was needed. A couple of minutes prior to taking the shot, as an animal approached.

I’m excited about my new filming setup for the phone. CGM Reach Around arm with a DJI gimbal to track the animal. Previous arm was 6 lbs this setup is well under 2 and very compact. Over time I did lose interest in packing in the heavier setup.684BEF20-378F-4665-87B5-7C13D7A778BE.jpeg

I have a GoPro 4 and I only used it for my daughters travel softball games. The video is of good quality and you can play back and record in slow motion. There is a distinct electronic sound when you turn it on but maybe that can be corrected in the settings or it may not be an issue with newer models. I have considered using it for shot analysis but instead I just completely dissect my deer and analyze the shot that way.
I have only been exclusively bow hunting for the last 5 seasons but in my opinion if you are just getting started, I would focus just on hunting and not being preoccupied with filming....enjoy the moment.
Almost forgot, my batteries last about 1-2 hours depending on video mode selected.

I use a go pro on my bow. I think I remembered to turn it on twice last year. Battery life isn’t an issue if you’re just using it for just the shot at a deer. Hopefully I can remember it more than twice this year

I use a go pro on my bow. I think I remembered to turn it on twice last year. Battery life isn’t an issue if you’re just using it for just the shot at a deer. Hopefully I can remember it more than twice this year

How was the video quality when you released the arrow? I would think there would be some vibration distortion of the video, if so does it clear up before the arrow impacts the deer?

How was the video quality when you released the arrow? I would think there would be some vibration distortion of the video, if so does it clear up before the arrow impacts the deer?

I’ve shared this a few times but it’s pretty good. I got it instead of a Tactacam cause it seemed to recover quicker from the vibration.

I’ve shared this a few times but it’s pretty good. I got it instead of a Tactacam cause it seemed to recover quicker from the vibration.

This is mounted to your bow!?!? That is so much better than I could have imagined. Which GoPro do you have and how do you attach it?
@mschultz373, sorry I have derailed your post.

Painted Arrow outdoors has a MagSafe attachment to the stabilizer for $50. Kind of feel that is steep and maybe this whole thing is a luxury item I don’t need. But then I think, gosh I’d hate to be unsure if I got a good shot on a deer and have no ability to assess that.

This is mounted to your bow!?!? That is so much better than I could have imagined. Which GoPro do you have and how do you attach it?
@mschultz373, sorry I have derailed your post.

It’s a 9 or 10 I think, unsure I got it new last year. I used a 3D printed mount off eBay but found this a few months ago and it’s way better. I broke both of the 3D printed ones I had

Painted Arrow outdoors has a MagSafe attachment to the stabilizer for $50. Kind of feel that is steep and maybe this whole thing is a luxury item I don’t need. But then I think, gosh I’d hate to be unsure if I got a good shot on a deer and have no ability to assess that.

Shoot lighted nocks, and learn to read your arrow. Even with a camera you will still need that info. If you are unsure post the arrow on here, I’m sure many will tell you where you hit it. It’s also always best to give an animal time…no matter the shot.

@jtw0057
You, sir, may have opened a can of worms! :rolleyes: I'm going to shop around and see what I can find in a good model of GoPro camera. If I get one, I'll buy a decent headband and off to the woods I'll go. :cool: I wouldn't mind using one for bow shot (practice and form) analysis too. :)

I've got one of these I plan to use this year. Feels solid so far. I'll film some target shots tomorrow and share them for others to see.

What about the OOAL cell phone arm? Anybody use that? I can no longer find it on their website to post the link though.

Just my opinion but anything mounted on your bow isn't going to allow you to see shot placement as the vibration from the bow firing will cause blurriness in the video. If you want to see placement you need a separate bow arm and a lighted nock makes it 10x easier to see placement. Again just my 2 cents.

Back