• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finally bit the bullet and accepted my fate

Exhumis

SH Member
Picked up a Barnett xp400 on sale from Basselas. I can still shoot a compound but barely. My shoulders are just too tore up. All the practice shooting gets to my shoulder. I believe I will still shoot compound off and on but a crossbow will allow me to stay in the deer woods. Interested to see how it affects me season.

I’ll tell you how it will affect you… you will get busted less, leading to more meat in the freezer.
You will have sniper accuracy, which will result in more meat in the freezer.
You will also gain more distance accurately and you know what that will lead to… lol.

Killing deer humanely with accurate shots seems much more important to me than the tools we choose to do it with. I had to use a crossbow for several years due to traumatic bursitis and enjoyed being able to continue hunting. I went back to a recurve 3 years ago but deterioration in my shoulder will send me back to the crossbow soon and I will embrace my time in the woods with just as much joy regardless the weapon. (except rocks, never could throw well).

I have bad shoulders. Don’t know if I could even shoot a compound but it really doesn’t matter because I shoot a crossbow….because I want to shoot a crossbow. It’s legal and the haters can cry all they want. I really don’t care. Haven’t picked up my rifle in the 4 years since I got my xbow and a lot of deer are still living because of that so the haters should just be thankful. So rock on brother!

No judging brother….. you enjoy the hunt, that’s what matters. Last year was my first ever Xbow big game kill. Took a gobbler with a HC mini two springs ago and this buck last season with another Xbow I had. I took the crossbow out simply because I wanted to. That thing pushed a mechanical through the buck like a hot knife through marshmallows. The blood poured out of that buck like he was completely slit from brisket to tail. It was fun. Real fun. Will I use a Xbow this year? Maybe. But you will and that’s good.

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpeg
    IMG_1118.jpeg
    821 KB · Views: 26
I have a crossbow and I’m not an invalid. I just picked up a cheap one for certain situations like hunting off the ground or out of a blind. Haven’t killed anything with it but hopefully I can draw blood this season. Still prefer my vertical bow because it’s lighter and less awkward to carry. But you can get a lot of crossbow for a few hundred bucks.

Still don't understand the crossbow hate! Sight in the scope and I can make accurate shots over and over again, not worrying about anchor point, twisting the riser, bending at the hip, staying at full draw too long, sitting...... I still have to put all the work in to get within 30 yards of a deer. AND get this, my shoulders, elbows, and back don't get worn out over the years by having to shoot 100's of arrows a week to build and not lose the muscle memory. I used to shoot a compound and understand exactly what it takes to humanely and ethically kill deer.

Still don't understand the crossbow hate! Sight in the scope and I can make accurate shots over and over again, not worrying about anchor point, twisting the riser, bending at the hip, staying at full draw too long, sitting...... I still have to put all the work in to get within 30 yards of a deer. AND get this, my shoulders, elbows, and back don't get worn out over the years by having to shoot 100's of arrows a week to build and not lose the muscle memory. I used to shoot a compound and understand exactly what it takes to humanely and ethically kill deer.
It's not hate from me (since I'll more than likely be using one) and I agree with you for the most part, but it doesn't feel as challenging (and therefore rewarding) to me. I hunt to supplement my protein purchases but mainly as a hobby/because I enjoy it, so the experience/memories matter as well. If I were truly just trying to fill the freezer, any legal method my friend. This is also one of the reasons I'm hoping to continue learning trad, though that's been slower developing than I'd like to admit. To each their own. I still say the deer will taste the same, but will find out if the experience differs in a way that matters to me.

Experience is all what YOU make of it. If shooting a deer less than 30 yards with a rifle is less rewarding than a bow, then maybe you need to readdress the limitations you put on yourself and the respect you actually put on the animal. My heart pumps just as hard dropping a deer out to 300 yards with my 06 as it does when I shoot a deer at 5 yards with my crossbow. Completely different set of skills.
Not YOU personally, YOU in general.

If it is not a rewarding kill, don't pull the trigger.

This will be my second year with a crossbow. I'll never turn back. I like the speed and accuracy. I would like it even better if it was as light as my recurve. I also like the fact that a wounded deer is unlikely with it.

While I reserve the right to give y'all crap for using a crossgun, I honestly could not care less what anyone hunts with as long as it is a legal weapon for the season. That said, at whatever point I can no longer shoot a bow, I will switch to a ML to finish out whatever years I have left. Reckon I might go into analphalactic shock if I had to use electric motorcycle or a crossgun, my azz would be all messed up. Youins can carry on wid yer group hug now. :p

... always the "crossgun"...why must people say that... beyond the stock, that's the ONLY thing they have in common... arrow, fletching, broadheads...hmmm...I was a hater too in the very beginning...but that quickly faded when I started using one in late season Archery (PA special regs area)... I was (and still am) a finger shooter with a compound...I don't treat my crossbow hunting any different than my vertical bow hunting...as close as I can get ...

Back