• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finally finished my DIY sit drag...

BudgetBuck1

Tell me what you think. It has 1.5 inch foam inside for extra padding which makes a big difference over my original sit drag. I debated over installing leg straps on this thing but finally after testing I decided against it. I haven't found a way yet to fall out of it and feel like the leg straps are overkill. Maybe I will change my mind later and will add them. I currently use a rock harness with my lineman's belt as a back up although with this set up the waist belt can also be attached as a backup tether with the lineman's belt. I simulated a fall(main tether failure) and the back up waist belt attachments caught me successfully. I installed 20 inch zippers on the back of both pieces so I can remove the padding if I need to air it out or change it out. Two of the pics(with black webbing) are of my son's saddle that I made first but mine is identical with the matching webbing. I would never have been able to finish this project without all of the help from the guys on this forum and it is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0265.JPG
    IMG_0265.JPG
    568.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    479.8 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    518.4 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    369.3 KB · Views: 372
Looks good! The zipper idea is cool. I did the same thing with padding, but made my fleece cover with draw strings on each end to be able to slip it off.
Nicely done.

Looks good! The zipper idea is cool. I did the same thing with padding, but made my fleece cover with draw strings on each end to be able to slip it off.
Nicely done.
I would love to see the way you did that. I am getting ready to make one for my brother and he might like that better. Did you like the padded saddle better than the original?

I would love to see the way you did that. I am getting ready to make one for my brother and he might like that better. Did you like the padded saddle better than the original?

I do like the padding, it is very comfortable.
I don't have a picture right now that I can show you, but if you can imagine I sewed the fabric into a tube, kind of like a large hand warmer, on each end I doubled the fabric over and stitched about 1 inch from the end. then I put a couple little slits in it and fished a piece of small rope through. after sliding it over the sling and padding, I just drew up the ropes tight to cinch it and tied it....think string in the waist of sweatpants.

I do like the padding, it is very comfortable.
I don't have a picture right now that I can show you, but if you can imagine I sewed the fabric into a tube, kind of like a large hand warmer, on each end I doubled the fabric over and stitched about 1 inch from the end. then I put a couple little slits in it and fished a piece of small rope through. after sliding it over the sling and padding, I just drew up the ropes tight to cinch it and tied it....think string in the waist of sweatpants.
Ok, got it. Thanks for the info. In the mood to make some matching pouches after browsing the forum tonight.

Tell me what you think. It has 1.5 inch foam inside for extra padding which makes a big difference over my original sit drag. I debated over installing leg straps on this thing but finally after testing I decided against it. I haven't found a way yet to fall out of it and feel like the leg straps are overkill. Maybe I will change my mind later and will add them. I currently use a rock harness with my lineman's belt as a back up although with this set up the waist belt can also be attached as a backup tether with the lineman's belt. I simulated a fall(main tether failure) and the back up waist belt attachments caught me successfully. I installed 20 inch zippers on the back of both pieces so I can remove the padding if I need to air it out or change it out. Two of the pics(with black webbing) are of my son's saddle that I made first but mine is identical with the matching webbing. I would never have been able to finish this project without all of the help from the guys on this forum and it is much appreciated.
Awesome job. I really like this. I may have to steal your idea.

Awesome job. I really like this. I may have to steal your idea.
Steal away. I really like mine. Kind of in between a sit drag and a guido's web. I have been using it every hunt this year and I have no complaints so far. At this point there isn't anything I would change. Now, If I could only come up with a platform that I love.....

Does this serve as some sort of safety function?
e84062c93f0709512a30b8cb96e5d2ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does this serve as some sort of safety function?
e84062c93f0709512a30b8cb96e5d2ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's where I attach my lineman's belt as a backup instead of storing it in a bag at hunting height. I have been meaning to add another layer of webbing to it but I have simulated falls and it has held so far. The buckle isn't load bearing. It is just to keep it around my waist while I am climbing. The strap is rated at 1500 pounds and is a continuous loop around my sit drag just like the bridge attachment straps.

I'm also going to copy your idea! Do you leave your lineman's belt attached because you don't wear a RC harness? Also did you just tie a knot on the bridge for your back band loops, (prussic knot on bridge and looped through sit drag and a knot to finish the connection)?

Yup, the prussic on the bridge and the overhand on the back band. I just copied the same knot that Hunter Safety Systems used. They also use a metal clasp which I was unable to find. I use two 50 lb zip ties in lieu of the metal band to secure the ends although I check them every use and none have moved at all. I have to admit that I don't use a RC harness all of the time but I probably should. I have tested the saddle so many times that I am comfortable without the RC Harness. Still, if I am gone hunting public by myself I still use the RC Harness. If I am local I don't most of the time. In regards to the lineman's belt I find that leaving it attached like shown in the picture doesn't restrict my movement. Also, I don't have to find a place to store it because a lineman's belt takes up quite a bit of space in a pack.

This is an older thread, but deserves a bump in the summer lull as folks keep making DIY saddles. @always89y has been knocking some good ones out, you should try something like this if you want max comfort! Having sat in this one, it in a class by itself, a true hybrid between standard saddles and Guidos/JX3. I have it on good authority that Adam has an improved model with some cool new features too!

Back