• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Finally pulled the trigger on a Tethrd Mantis

InsrgntKillr

Hi all. My name is Stephen and I’m a retired Marine. I’m new to doing the saddle system and I finally pulled the trigger. GOD has blessed me with an awesome wife that ordered me the Tethrd Mantis beginner setup with the Predator Platform. The only other thing I’ll be looking into during the off season is a decent climbing method. I’m a little torn between Wild Edge step ladder system and a pair of tree climbing spikes. Anyways that’s about it. I’m an avid outdoorsman and look forward to sharing.

SEMPER FI

Congrats on the purchase and Welcome to the site. Don’t hesitate to ask questions there is a ton of knowledge and really helpful guys on here. Study different methods of climb and remember practice a lot. It goes along ways and will make your hunt even more enjoyable. I’m an ole Army AirCav trooper

Thnx gents. What climbing system would either of you prefer? I’m looking at all angles yet the climbing spikes and wild edge seem a preferred option yet I’m open to suggestions. Just trying to keep weight on/in the pack down. This way it’s easier to drag my deer out.

Congrats on the purchase and Welcome to the site. Don’t hesitate to ask questions there is a ton of knowledge and really helpful guys on here. Study different methods of climb and remember practice a lot. It goes along ways and will make your hunt even more enjoyable. I’m an ole Army AirCav trooper
Freaking. Nice brother. I’m gonna be studying my rear end off. TN deer season came to a close, except for where I live. Three counties(Hardeman, Fayetteville, and McNairy) are open to the end of this month due to being in an area of positive CWD. Where I live (McNairy) so far all tests have been negative but the majority of positives are from Fayette then Hardeman counties. The first positive was within 10 miles of McNairy so they made our season longer.

Thnx gents. What climbing system would either of you prefer? I’m looking at all angles yet the climbing spikes and wild edge seem a preferred option yet I’m open to suggestions. Just trying to keep weight on/in the pack down. This way it’s easier to drag my deer out.
I personally use Primal steps with five step aider. I can get 20’ with 3 steps. I have several preset trees on private that I use older sticks. Really there is no right or wrong, kinda like Ford or Chevy, it’s all what you familiar and comfortable with. By the way Go Vols

If I could only get one climbing method, and damage to trees is legal... I would hands down get a treehopper bit and bolts.
Spikes are great, but there is a big learning curve and some guys never get comfortable on them.
If you are never hunting the same tree twice, they win hands down.

If you can’t use a method that damaged trees (but with spikes being an option it sounds like you can), I would personally go with a 24” set of climbing sticks. (Beast, DOY, modified helium’s etc...)
I have tried to love my wild edge stepps, but they just haven’t fit my style for anything more than an added platform step. I am going to try to give the multi-step aider and WE stepps a go to try to finally like them... otherwise I may end up selling the 3 I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would focus on my deer removal efforts if I were you. Dragging is a gigantic pain, bone out the meat and bring it out on/in your pack if it’s legal for you to do so.

Cool deal brother. Yeah I mainly hunt private land and family property so the spikes are an option. The stick climbing method has intrigued me yet I’m just wanting to be able to keep weight down a lot since transitioning from Climber to saddle. Thnx for the input. I’ll do my research. Looks like I’ll be finding more trees and affixing permanent climbing positions for next year possible. Screw ins are a definite option in that case

I would focus on my deer removal efforts if I were you. Dragging is a gigantic pain, bone out the meat and bring it out on/in your pack if it’s legal for you to do so.
Yeah it’s perfectly legal here in TN. Plus I mainly hunt private property so I have no worries. Generally I can drag a decent range or at least to my closest field road then get the truck or four wheeler in. However I have had to drag for some distance at times so I gut and drug em out but you are correct. Getting better at the complete field dress is a better option

Hi all. My name is Stephen and I’m a retired Marine. I’m new to doing the saddle system and I finally pulled the trigger. GOD has blessed me with an awesome wife that ordered me the Tethrd Mantis beginner setup with the Predator Platform. The only other thing I’ll be looking into during the off season is a decent climbing method. I’m a little torn between Wild Edge step ladder system and a pair of tree climbing spikes. Anyways that’s about it. I’m an avid outdoorsman and look forward to sharing.

SEMPER FI
Thanks for your service brother!! I just got my Mantis on Friday. Lovin’ it! While I was waiting for it to be delivered I made some mods to my hawk helium’s. Cut them shorter and did the rope/versa button mod with Amsteel blue. Love that set up. I also purchased some climbright aluminum spikes and did some mods to them as well. I switched out all straps with quick release buckles like flinginairos did. I climbed a tree outback about 10 times and I am completely comfortable with them. Biggest thing is to just trust your lineman’s belt and “feel” the spikes digging into the tree. The packability with the spikes are AWESOME! I’ll attach a link of my pack loaded down. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bHCEF9LxIgB952MXp0mO9QaWbF4MdWel/view?usp=drivesdk https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ODk-z3ygrtR-HlEJ6hVTNdhVhV4K9Q7H/view?usp=drivesdk

Hi Stephen, welcome from Massachusetts. Thank you for your service! There are many different climbing methods it's hard to pick just one.

Back