• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First climb hunting with stepps and 5 step aider.

Smokinya1

Jul 11, 2016
Shelby Al.
Ordered my 5 step aider last week and connected it to the hook from my wild edge aider and climbed a couple steps to practice and did my first climb actually hunting this weekend. Hunting height with 3 stepps........can't beat it!!!!

I've been using the swaider but will use the 5 step aider going forward......crazy how high we can get with so little to carry:)Screenshot_20181029-111248.png

pesqimon

Apr 25, 2018
Massachusetts
What is the step spacing of the aider? Looks like 1ft to me.

I'm curious about this method but will wait until I am more practiced with the stepps.

What is your platform? Are you using a WE Stepp platform and using the aider to get up on that?

Smokinya1

Jul 11, 2016
Shelby Al.
Spacing is around a foot. As far as my platform I either use 1 extra stepp off to the side of my top stepp or use my ring of steps. I also have the wood platform for my Primal step but have only used it a couple times this year but it does work well!

pesqimon

Apr 25, 2018
Massachusetts
Cool so you’re at about 18ft (3 steps) plus platform.

Do you think a custom aider with like 2ft spacing would be just as effective but less bulk? That’s the direction I am leaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanielB89

Nov 17, 2017
Monroe, LA
Cool so you’re at about 18ft (3 steps) plus platform.

Do you think a custom aider with like 2ft spacing would be just as effective but less bulk? That’s the direction I am leaning.

absolutely it would. It would have to be wouldn't it?

rutjr

Oct 6, 2018
Cumberland, RI
Interesting. Where did you purchase it? I too have to get used to my WE steps and aider before I try something like that.

drew13

Sep 11, 2014
Maine
How did you move the aider up to the second stepp? Did you stand on the first stepp and bend down to unhook it? Was it difficult or precarious? Curious because I am currently using the knaider/swaider with my stepps but could gain an extra foot or so per stepp with a long, moveable aider like this...

morgancountry

Nov 23, 2017
How did you move the aider up to the second stepp? Did you stand on the first stepp and bend down to unhook it? Was it difficult or precarious? Curious because I am currently using the knaider/swaider with my stepps but could gain an extra foot or so per stepp with a long, moveable aider like this...

My brother is doing this method and doing exactly that. Just stand on the step and squat down and unhook the aider after you set the next one up. He can be 18 to 20 ft with 3 steps. I think he uses 2 more at top for a platform.

Reactions: Smokinya1

Smokinya1

Jul 11, 2016
Shelby Al.

I have Paracord connected to the hook and an S biner on the other end that I hook to my belt. Pull aider up after hanging next stepp on way up and lower to next stepp on way down

Homebrew454

Oct 17, 2017
Wisconsin
If you're use to the knaider, you could just use that to transition to the next step similar to what you're currently doing. I may look at this in the off season. I'm pretty comfy with the knaider/Swaider.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

JaredG16

Aug 1, 2018
Gonzales, LA
If you're use to the knaider, you could just use that to transition to the next step similar to what you're currently doing. I may look at this in the off season. I'm pretty comfy with the knaider/Swaider.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I was thinking of doing this kind of setup...

So on the top of the 5-step aider, I am going to attach a Fifi hook (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E5N14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qqugCbK19PV0P). Once I cam down my WE step, the aider steps are attached with the Fifi step (the Fifi step is taking the place of a traditional 'biner). On the hole at the top of the Fifi hook, I'm going to run a bungie strap through it and attach the bungie strap to my lineman loop. The bungie strap will be at such a length so that when I step out of the top aider step and onto my WE step with one foot, it will pull the Fifi hook up and off of the WE step, clearing the WE step for my other foot and making the aider accessible for the next WE step.

This setup would eliminate the need for the knaider (or swaider) and the need to bend down to detach the binder. It also keeps the aider always attached to prevent dropping it and being in that screwed up position of being 6-7 feet from your next step when descending.

What do y'all think?

(I'll send a pic once I get the Fifi and 5 step aider in the mail.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dylan9862003

DanielB89

Nov 17, 2017
Monroe, LA
One concern I would have with the FIFI is the noise if could produce should it slide or something like that. I couple be wrong, but it looks like it may would wear out the tape or whatever you're putting on the cross bar quickly( i could be wrong here).

That's exactly what I am planning on doing as well. I have gotten significantly better with the WE stepps the more i've used them. I am thinking they could be my "go to" option if everything goes like I hope!

Bowhunter05

SH Member
Aug 22, 2018
Dover Delaware
YOUTUBE
CliffVids
Ordered my 5 step aider last week and connected it to the hook from my wild edge aider and climbed a couple steps to practice and did my first climb actually hunting this weekend. Hunting height with 3 stepps........can't beat it!!!!

I've been using the swaider but will use the 5 step aider going forward......crazy how high we can get with so little to carry:)View attachment 7354
I got this same type of aider just came in yesterday tried it out today it’s actually more smaller and compact as I thought it would be very nice

JaredG16

Aug 1, 2018
Gonzales, LA
One concern I would have with the FIFI is the noise if could produce should it slide or something like that. I couple be wrong, but it looks like it may would wear out the tape or whatever you're putting on the cross bar quickly( i could be wrong here).

That's exactly what I am planning on doing as well. I have gotten significantly better with the WE stepps the more i've used them. I am thinking they could be my "go to" option if everything goes like I hope!
I am planning to put a couple of strips of heat shrink wrap on the Fifi to not only help keep it in place, but also to quiet it down.

Reactions: DanielB89

kenn1320

Sep 15, 2015
I wanted to try this 5 years ago and every time i brought it up i was told about a guy who nearly killed himself doing it. Now we are knaider, swaider, 5 step aiderin! right up the tree
I think its awesome

I remember those times. Theres still lots of risk, the step has to be set right or it could get ugly Im sure.

Reactions: JaredG16

Live2huntt

Jul 11, 2018
I am planning to put a couple of strips of heat shrink wrap on the Fifi to not only help keep it in place, but also to quiet it down.

What are the Fifi hooks rated for? The only thing I could find says "body weight"......I think I would like this method better than the knaider because I am already going to tie the aider to me somehow so I don't drop it.....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk