• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First compound bow kill

SNIPERBBB

Well decided to try to use a vertical bow to hunt with today..

Been thinking about getting a for a while. I've used a cross bow for years and of course shotgun and rifles. Local John Deere dealer, Bridgeport Equipment bought the old KMart building in gallipolis and they've got a really nice hunting section, they even carry saddle hunting gear, saddles, platforms, ropeman, madrocks. So on black Friday I decided to make the plunge.

Never really shot a lot of bows in the past other than tinkering around with the kids bows at events and I do have a takedown bow.

Really didn't want anything too expensive and wanted something more or less fully setup so I decided on the Bear Cruzer G3. It was preset at 70# and I didn't even want to try that... I might be able to hit a golf ball 300+ yards but I have next to nothing for upper body strength. Asked to set it at 60# which turned out to be doable but it was a bit rougher on me to feel comfortable with starting out so we dropped it to 52# and 30" draw length. We discussed arrows and settled on a 340 spine and he cut em down and built the arrows, no charge.

Paper tuned the arrow and it was good to go out of the gate. I shot it several times. Being basic newbie to stick bows I actually shot it pretty well other than a few times I was gripping the bow to hard and once bangs the string on my forearm on a shot. Good thing I had a hoodie on so the welt wasn't as bad as it could of been. Got the sights adjusted and I picked up some muzzy trocar fixed blade broad heads(I use the Xbow versions on my Xbow) as I hate mechanicals and a cheap trophy ridge wrist release and out the door i went.

Shot the bow a good bit Saturday. Not quite as much as I wanted because I stringed myself 3-4 times because I apparently kept reverting to closed stance bringing my arm into danger zone. It got quite swollen and some bruising is still there as I type. Despite all that I was shooting pretty consistent groups.

Decided to go out this afternoon to hunt, not really expecting much because it rained all afternoon but I'd at least get some extra tree time, some reading time and experiment with how to get into various shooting positions and the odd ball ones with the bow and making notes on how to adjust my standing positioning as it's about backwards from using a gun/xbow.

Getting close to 4pm and a group of nosey dies come in. I had one keep looking up at me as I messed up and made a bit of noise but she couldn't quite figure it out. This went on for about 30 minutes. I made my mind up to pop one em if I could get a chance. Well eventually I did get one on the right side of my saddle setup at 10 yards almost straight down.

Of course as soon as I start to draw she looks at me. I pause and wait till she goes back to snacking. Take my shot and it seems to be good but wasn't quite sure because I'm trying to keep my grip light and apparently it was too light and dropped the bow after the shot luckily it landed on some brush I cut when I cleaned out the the spot earlier the season.

Broke camp and rappeled down.

Went to find the arrow and was worried about bit. Too used to xbows burying in the ground especially at that range. Ended up finding it well behind where she was standing laying on top of some briars.

Thanks to the rain tracking was a pain and lost blood within ten yards. Did have a good idea of the way she was traveling so I just continued on and she was laying on the side of a hill. About 60 yards from the shot. Shot was right where I aimed just a bit higher due to elevation and close range as I was using the 20yd pin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126-192207-154.png
    Screenshot_20231126-192207-154.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
Congrats. And a great write up too.

This ain’t rocket science. Appreciate you sharing your experience!
Yeah these bows are easy to shoot compared to the take down I have.

Only real difficulty I would say then compound over the X is that the awkward position shots are much harder and some of my stand locations just are nothing but awkward locations.

Well decided to try to use a vertical bow to hunt with today..

Been thinking about getting a for a while. I've used a cross bow for years and of course shotgun and rifles. Local John Deere dealer, Bridgeport Equipment bought the old KMart building in gallipolis and they've got a really nice hunting section, they even carry saddle hunting gear, saddles, platforms, ropeman, madrocks. So on black Friday I decided to make the plunge.

Never really shot a lot of bows in the past other than tinkering around with the kids bows at events and I do have a takedown bow.

Really didn't want anything too expensive and wanted something more or less fully setup so I decided on the Bear Cruzer G3. It was preset at 70# and I didn't even want to try that... I might be able to hit a golf ball 300+ yards but I have next to nothing for upper body strength. Asked to set it at 60# which turned out to be doable but it was a bit rougher on me to feel comfortable with starting out so we dropped it to 52# and 30" draw length. We discussed arrows and settled on a 340 spine and he cut em down and built the arrows, no charge.

Paper tuned the arrow and it was good to go out of the gate. I shot it several times. Being basic newbie to stick bows I actually shot it pretty well other than a few times I was gripping the bow to hard and once bangs the string on my forearm on a shot. Good thing I had a hoodie on so the welt wasn't as bad as it could of been. Got the sights adjusted and I picked up some muzzy trocar fixed blade broad heads(I use the Xbow versions on my Xbow) as I hate mechanicals and a cheap trophy ridge wrist release and out the door i went.

Shot the bow a good bit Saturday. Not quite as much as I wanted because I stringed myself 3-4 times because I apparently kept reverting to closed stance bringing my arm into danger zone. It got quite swollen and some bruising is still there as I type. Despite all that I was shooting pretty consistent groups.

Decided to go out this afternoon to hunt, not really expecting much because it rained all afternoon but I'd at least get some extra tree time, some reading time and experiment with how to get into various shooting positions and the odd ball ones with the bow and making notes on how to adjust my standing positioning as it's about backwards from using a gun/xbow.

Getting close to 4pm and a group of nosey dies come in. I had one keep looking up at me as I messed up and made a bit of noise but she couldn't quite figure it out. This went on for about 30 minutes. I made my mind up to pop one em if I could get a chance. Well eventually I did get one on the right side of my saddle setup at 10 yards almost straight down.

Of course as soon as I start to draw she looks at me. I pause and wait till she goes back to snacking. Take my shot and it seems to be good but wasn't quite sure because I'm trying to keep my grip light and apparently it was too light and dropped the bow after the shot luckily it landed on some brush I cut when I cleaned out the the spot earlier the season.

Broke camp and rappeled down.

Went to find the arrow and was worried about bit. Too used to xbows burying in the ground especially at that range. Ended up finding it well behind where she was standing laying on top of some briars.

Thanks to the rain tracking was a pain and lost blood within ten yards. Did have a good idea of the way she was traveling so I just continued on and she was laying on the side of a hill. About 60 yards from the shot. Shot was right where I aimed just a bit higher due to elevation and close range as I was using the 20yd pin.
I'm in N Central Ohio but have hunted several yrs on Raccoon Creek S of Gallipolis. Beautiful country.

Biggest beaver I ever caught came from just above the bridge there.
Congratulations brother, nice shooting

Can you shoot me the website for that store so I can get their address. I would like to check out.

Congratulations brother, nice shooting

Can you shoot me the website for that store so I can get their address. I would like to check out.
185 upper river road, gallipolis Ohio.

Guns, archery, tools, pretty much everything a man needs.

Great story! Great write up! Glad you’re getting into bowhunting! Awesome success already too!

Regarding the string slap, I just wanted to drill down a little bit more with that….. are you 100% sure you’re a 30” draw length? I ask because string slap like that is usually indicative of too long of a draw. You may want to have someone take a measurement of your “wingspan” and divide by 2.5” to see what what that says. Perhaps you went through all that already but just making sure. So many things in terms of shooting comfort and other form issues will be automatically corrected.

My wingspan is 73". Measured it again when setting it up. The guy that helped me setup the bow and watched my shooting didn't seem to think I was extending myself. It was the first thing we checked once we got the weight set. He thought it was more of my grip being too heavy . When I went lighter on it it stopped the torquing.
Great story! Great write up! Glad you’re getting into bowhunting! Awesome success already too!

Regarding the string slap, I just wanted to drill down a little bit more with that….. are you 100% sure you’re a 30” draw length? I ask because string slap like that is usually indicative of too long of a draw. You may want to have someone take a measurement of your “wingspan” and divide by 2.5” to see what what that says. Perhaps you went through all that already but just making sure. So many things in terms of shooting comfort and other form issues will be automatically corrected.

73” divided by 2.5 on a calculator is 29.2. That’s closer to 29 Draw length than 30”. 1” can make
a big difference. Nonetheless, you killed and recovered nicely for such a short time of practice and set up. Anything you do from here sounds like it will just make a good hunter better. Loved the story…. Well presented, thank you for sharing.

Hand position in the grip may be the bigger issue rather than draw length. But I agree with looking at that more closely after season. On gripping the bow, you want the bow grip seated over the lifeline on your palm. That will rotate your wrist some and make your knuckles run down and away from the bow at roughly a 45 with your pinky knuckle pointed at about 7:30. With that placement you can lightly wrap your fingers around the front of the grip just enough to not drop the bow. I actually just wrap my index and middle finger. Fingers are not for holding the bow, only to not drop it. That should fix your torque issue and will help with the string slap as the wrist rotation also rotates your forearm out of the line of contact some. Might want to consider an arm guard too. As much as protecting your arm. it will help with string clearance with heavier clothes.

Hand position in the grip may be the bigger issue rather than draw length. But I agree with looking at that more closely after season. On gripping the bow, you want the bow grip seated over the lifeline on your palm. That will rotate your wrist some and make your knuckles run down and away from the bow at roughly a 45 with your pinky knuckle pointed at about 7:30. With that placement you can lightly wrap your fingers around the front of the grip just enough to not drop the bow. I actually just wrap my index and middle finger. Fingers are not for holding the bow, only to not drop it. That should fix your torque issue and will help with the string slap as the wrist rotation also rotates your forearm out of the line of contact some. Might want to consider an arm guard too. As much as protecting your arm. it will help with string clearance with heavier clothes.
That was something I was working on a bit at the end. I think what you are describing is what we call in the golf world the " motorcycle move" . It does make sense as it pushes the forearm out away from the bow when I do so.

My wingspan is 73". Measured it again when setting it up. The guy that helped me setup the bow and watched my shooting didn't seem to think I was extending myself. It was the first thing we checked once we got the weight set. He thought it was more of my grip being too heavy . When I went lighter on it it stopped the torquing.
Grip is important and can cause the string slap issue your experienced. That said I have a 77" wingspan and shoot a 29.75" draw length to give myself more clearance and not stretch out into the shot when I'm in an awkward position with cold muscles. A draw length change of a 1/2" can give you a lot more room to anchor the shot without having to "push" to keep it at full draw.
Also congrats on the first compound kill, now down the compound tuning rabbit hole you go

Back