• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Lite bibs

VFL

Morning all,

I wasn’t too sure where to post/ask this, so here goes.

I have the North Branch bibs and have been thinking about upgrading to the Solitude bibs (and probably jacket). The North Branch, although slightly noisy, are pretty rain/wind resistant overall. Does anyone have the Solitude bibs? Other than the seat, how does it perform in the rain/wind? Are they comparable to the Catalyst pants?

Thank you for any input...

The solitude is fantastic. They are warmer than the catalyst pants. I have both, but only wear the catalyst in the warm weather. Both are quiet.

Reactions: VFL
How does the Solitude compare to the Sitka Stratus. I have a pair of Stratuts pants that I love. The Stratus are wind proof... are the Solitude wind proof?
I'm a First Lite first fan, I do own some Sitka also.
BTW I have the Sactuary setup for really cold days. I olny wear when it gets in the teens and lower.

I am very warm in the solitude. I would say it is quite windproof, but not air tight. that is my biggest complaint, but again I am warm in this outfit into the beginning of our cold weather. It also plays really well in a saddle. The pockets seem to all be in the right places.

How does the Solitude compare to the Sitka Stratus. I have a pair of Stratuts pants that I love. The Stratus are wind proof... are the Solitude wind proof?
I'm a First Lite first fan, I do own some Sitka also.
BTW I have the Sactuary setup for really cold days. I olny wear when it gets in the teens and lower.

That was going to be my next question...the sanctuary might be overkill for what I’m looking for, especially when walking in.

The solitude is fantastic. They are warmer than the catalyst pants. I have both, but only wear the catalyst in the warm weather. Both are quiet.

I find the catalyst to be too warm on 50-60 degree weather, that’s when I turn to my Sitka jet stream jacket and mountain pants

I am very warm in the solitude. I would say it is quite windproof, but not air tight. that is my biggest complaint, but again I am warm in this outfit into the beginning of our cold weather. It also plays really well in a saddle. The pockets seem to all be in the right places.

How are the bibs when walking in? I usually have a 1-3 mile hike in. Do you wear base layers under the solitude? If so, which ones?

Thanks again!

How are the bibs when walking in? I usually have a 1-3 mile hike in. Do you wear base layers under the solitude? If so, which ones?

Thanks again!

I have long hikes in as well.
I wear various base layers depending on how cold it is.

On a 60F hunt I am probably not wearing the solitude. I would wear uninsulated pants.
On a 50F hunt I might wear a light long john under the solitude pant.
On a 40F hunt I would wear a long john under the solitude pant.
On a 30F hunt I would wear a heavy long john and a fleece pant under the solitude pants (first light furnace long john, Canadian military fleece pants)
Below 20F I am in my Sanctuary.

On my top I wear a light baselayer for the walk in. All my other layers are in my bag. On the walk in the solitudes are fully unzipped down the sides to shed heat. After I climb I start adding layers. The pants I need to mostly zip up before climbing because I cant work the zippers all the way with my saddle on.

If I am walking that far I will pack in my outergear and wear something light. I just change pants at base of tree and add jacket when I am settled in.

I have long hikes in as well.
I wear various base layers depending on how cold it is.

On a 60F hunt I am probably not wearing the solitude. I would wear uninsulated pants.
On a 50F hunt I might wear a light long john under the solitude pant.
On a 40F hunt I would wear a long john under the solitude pant.
On a 30F hunt I would wear a heavy long john and a fleece pant under the solitude pants (first light furnace long john, Canadian military fleece pants)
Below 20F I am in my Sanctuary.

On my top I wear a light baselayer for the walk in. All my other layers are in my bag. On the walk in the solitudes are fully unzipped down the sides to shed heat. After I climb I start adding layers. The pants I need to mostly zip up before climbing because I cant work the zippers all the way with my saddle on.

Great breakdown..thanks!

I bought the Solitude bibs and jacket this year thinking they would be lighter weight and good mid-to-late season (30-50degrees). I have the Sanctuary set but they are too warm for those ranges. We had a milder fall and winter this year and I wore the Solitude all but one hunt that started in the teens. I was comfortable in the Solitude on days that were in the 20's. So, for me, the reality is the two sets have a lot of overlap as far as temperature range. I like the layout of the Solitude pockets/hand-warmer better.

As others have said, I walk in wearing just my base layer on top and my bibs unzipped and move slow. I like how both sets seal up against the wind. That has been the biggest advantage over my old, heavy-weight wool coat and pants.

I figured there was going to be a lot of overlap/overkill with the sanctuary and solitude. Glad to hear the solitude seems more versatile. I’m assuming you can layer up fairly well without too much bulk in the solitude jacket? Is there any room for wearing a base layer and light pants under the solitude bibs? I was thinking about merino wool base layer pants and sawbuck (or similar) walking in then putting bibs on before climbing...thoughts?

I just wear merino wool base layer pants under both bibs on the way in normally. My legs don't get too cold and where I hunt I am not walking through heavy briars, etc. I never wear either coat in as I get too hot. When it's warmer I use the shoulder straps like a belt and unzip the sides and have stayed pretty cool. I have packed in the Sanctuary bibs and jacket and dressed at or near the tree, usually when the snow gets a littler deeper and it's too hard not to overheat walking. I have been hunting mostly private land with walks of only 1/2 to a mile long.

I figured there was going to be a lot of overlap/overkill with the sanctuary and solitude. Glad to hear the solitude seems more versatile. I’m assuming you can layer up fairly well without too much bulk in the solitude jacket? Is there any room for wearing a base layer and light pants under the solitude bibs? I was thinking about merino wool base layer pants and sawbuck (or similar) walking in then putting bibs on before climbing...thoughts?

Lots of room for me. I am 6'3" 220lbs and wear an XL pant and jacket. Both have lots of space to add layers.

Lots of room for me. I am 6'3" 220lbs and wear an XL pant and jacket. Both have lots of space to add layers.

Good to know - thanks! I’m also 6’3 215-220, so knowing there’s plenty of room to layer up is huge. Thanks again!

I’ll just add a counterpoint here! I have the NB set, and then the Sanctuary + Woodbury set... if I could only have one (Sanctuary or Solitude) I went with Sanctuary because I can make the NB work to the point that the Sanctuary kicks in. I’ve never regretted packing the Sanctuary bibs in when it’s 35 degrees, and then of course I’m covered for colder temps as well. For me the question is what’s trickier... layer the Solitude up for colder temps, or layering the Sanctuary down (minimal other layers) for warmer temps like mid 30s. Edit: I just think that for something truly treestand capable when the temps go down, it’s got to be packed in, I’ve never been able to comfortably hike any serious distance in something that’s going to keep me warm in stand.

I’ll just add a counterpoint here! I have the NB set, and then the Sanctuary + Woodbury set... if I could only have one (Sanctuary or Solitude) I went with Sanctuary because I can make the NB work to the point that the Sanctuary kicks in. I’ve never regretted packing the Sanctuary bibs in when it’s 35 degrees, and then of course I’m covered for colder temps as well. For me the question is what’s trickier... layer the Solitude up for colder temps, or layering the Sanctuary down (minimal other layers) for warmer temps like mid 30s. Edit: I just think that for something truly treestand capable when the temps go down, it’s got to be packed in, I’ve never been able to comfortably hike any serious distance in something that’s going to keep me warm in stand.

This has merits. I do prefer the least bulky possible option. The Sanctuary is the warmest option. In my mind there are a bunch of temps where a lighter pant with some layers below makes life easier.

Kind of off subject,( well not too far), I have a set of FL bibs I bought maybe 7-8 yrs ago. They are neoprene for the most part. ASAT. Anyone know which bibs these may be? Apologies to the OP.

Back