• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Mechanical Device Failure Tonight (Safeguard)

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
Tonight I dragged the camper to the area I'm hunting this weekend and arrived right at 6:00. Rushed out to spend an hour in an observation sit. I was setup on the edge of a large clear cut and sat right to last light. When I went to rappel down the lever of my Safeguard came right off in my hand. I wasn't very high so I just one sticked back down the tree. Still it was a bit of a shock.

Attachments

• 20191024_202634.jpg
    20191024_202634.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 508
Thanks but there was no danger, just inconvenience. I carry an ATC and prusik as a backup but didn't feel the need to break it out. I also have a backup Safeguard here in the camper so my weekend isn't even ruined. I really wanted to bring attention to the fact that these things can and will happen so have a backup plan.

Wow! Didn't figure that could/would happen. How long have you been using that safeguard? I'm assuming there were no obvious signs of fatigue/wear? Maybe I should invest in a backup/atc :fearscream:

Wow! Didn't figure that could/would happen. How long have you been using that safeguard? I'm assuming there were no obvious signs of fatigue/wear? Maybe I should invest in a backup/atc :fearscream:
Best as I can figure that Safeguard has been with me for about two years. Its seen a lot of use but I hadn't noticed anything odd. I used it last on Sunday morning and it felt normal then.

I use my Safeguard as an ascender only and I rappel with an ATC. The lever on my safeguard is extremely difficult to release while under load.

Back