• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Saddle Hunt, 9/6 MD Archery Opener

SouthernTierHunter

Just finalized taking off work 9/6 for opener of MD Archery. Plan to take the 6 hour drive south Thursday night, scout Friday morning and sit the evening for my first ever saddle hunt! Going to hunt Friday and Saturday for Sikas and Whitetails and go crabbing for Blue Crab on Sunday (since there is no Sunday hunting). Out of state license is 130 and archery permit 25; can take 15 does, 3 bucks, 3 sikas (one of which may be antlered), not too shabby.

Old Town Canoe
PSE - Drop Tine
Eastons w/ Rage Trypan's
Sit Drag + Harness
Hawk Heliums
Modified Lone Wolf Seat platform

Will post pics if I have any success.

The strips of timber inbetween the marsh and crop fields hold deer now because they can get away from the heat imo. Id look for a private crop field that buts up against public marsh that has a timber buffer zone. Its hard to get to some of these spots but the sign is crazy. Taking that canoe will help a ton.

The strips of timber inbetween the marsh and crop fields hold deer now because they can get away from the heat imo. Id look for a private crop field that buts up against public marsh that has a timber buffer zone. Its hard to get to some of these spots but the sign is crazy. Taking that canoe will help a ton.
You are a gentleman and a scholar. I will definitely be posting about anything I see... just no GPS waypoints.

Also permanone the living crap out of your clothes and a thermacell is crucial if you want to stay in the woods for more than 5 minutes. If you’re hunting anywhere on the eastern shore the heat and humidity is pretty brutal early season but the bugs will send it over the top. And don’t be too freaked out if you stick something and when you get to it it’s blown up like a balloon. And when you go to stick a knife in it to field dress it and it gassed out because of the heat. Split the pelvis and get the meat cooled down quick and you’ll be good. My opener is on 9/1 and just giving you some hard won advise to help you out. I’ve spent a mess of time getting deer out in 90+ temps and it pretty rough but don’t let it stop you from getting after it.
Good luck btw.

Also permanone the living crap out of your clothes and a thermacell is crucial if you want to stay in the woods for more than 5 minutes. If you’re hunting anywhere on the eastern shore the heat and humidity is pretty brutal early season but the bugs will send it over the top. And don’t be too freaked out if you stick something and when you get to it it’s blown up like a balloon. And when you go to stick a knife in it to field dress it and it gassed out because of the heat. Split the pelvis and get the meat cooled down quick and you’ll be good. My opener is on 9/1 and just giving you some hard won advise to help you out. I’ve spent a mess of time getting deer out in 90+ temps and it pretty rough but don’t let it stop you from getting after it.
Good luck btw.
How do I go about permanoning? Also, thanks such detailed advise, you just shrunk the learning curve way down.

Permanone is great. Spray your clothes down well (they should be damp) and let it dry. It should last for a few weeks, even through washings. This isn't for spraying on your skin.

Also, of you're using your canoe watch the tides. You could end up high and dry in some spots down there, and you won't wanna drag through that mud.

Good luck. I'm from the lower Shore and love it there. There are solid deer there. Get them processed quickly as suggested. I'll probably be hunting Charles County in MD.

Yep, can't wait. The rut is great but I love hunting them bachelor groups. I'll be washing my early season hunting clothes this weekend and liberally applying the permethrin. It helps to keep the chiggers, ticks and mosquitoes at bay. The only issue other than the bugs would be the spiders. In the next couple of weeks they'll grow from manageable to the stuff you find in a horror movie. The sound of the web snapping and seeing one "swoop" upon the head lamp just freaks me out! But since I'm a survivor that won't keep me from my first saddle hunt!

I hunt Calvert County on the Western shore of the bay. i love hunting southern MD. There are alot of big deer there. i hope everything pans out for you.

Back