• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Sling

PJC

I've been reading as much as possible from all the various posts on here. I really want to get into hunting from a sling or saddle and want to get into without spending an arm and a leg.
Is it just as expensive to customize a Sit and Drag and get all the ropes and other gear I would need as it would be to get an Evo that has all that stuff included?
Is there someone on here who could help me build a Sit n Drag? or who builds them for people?
Anybody close to southern Wisconsin who might let me try an Evo or a Sit Drag?
I even liked the OneHair seat I saw posted yesterday. That looked like a good design, but I don't have much knowledge about what I need for ropes for a tether, bridge, etc. Ropeman. I'm starting with a clean slate and no experience.
Is this a bad idea? I hate to drop $400 on a new Evo.

This is tough.

The SitDrag isn't a good starter saddle in my opinion. One should be very comfortable with saddle techniques and all aspects of safety before going the ultralight route.

At the same time I'd have a hard time spending the money on an Evo.

All the information you need about ropes and techniques can be found here, but your idea of meeting up with someone is a really good idea. I had to learn by myself through trial and error. If I had someone that could have helped me out, or access to this forum (it didn't exist yet), the learning curve wouldn't have been so steep.

Try not to get discouraged or overwhelmed. This style of hunting is incredibly fun once you get the hang of it. Good luck!

Reactions: PJC
Thanks. I figured I have the whole off season to work on it to get ready for next year. I'm really excited for the hunting stand options this is going to open up for me. I'm pretty limited with where I can put up tree stands, but if I can sling from smaller trees, I'll have many more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could easily get a Sit and Drag plus Ropeman1's, carabiners, linesman belts/tether, and rock harness for less than 400, but I kind of have to agree that I wouldn't go straight to a Sit Drag. (Though I bet you end up there in the end). I started out by making a Ken Molle saddle as my first saddle, and will always have that as a backup. But, the Sit Drag is a more specialized matter. There's always stuff popping up on the classifieds here that you could pick up for less than a new commercially available saddle.

I saw one come up today. Tree Saddle I think. Large. But I don't know what I'm looking for so it was gone before I could move on it. $200

I saw one come up today. Tree Saddle I think. Large. But I don't know what I'm looking for so it was gone before I could move on it. $200

Keep checking Craigslist, Archery talk, and here. I promise one of the good options will come up in the next month or so. You may also look over the options and decide what your top 3 are (sizes included) and put a "wanted" post in the classifieds of each website.

Where does one purchase a sit and drag anyway and how much are they? I haven't been able to find them for sale via google search. Just a lot of videos and forum posts, mostly from this site.

Good idea. Is Archery talk the Facebook page or is it a web forum?

It is a Web Forum. If you use Tapatalk, it is also on there.

Just try to find a leather Trophyline Tree Saddle. It's all you need:)

I'd advise a commercial Saddle as well, G2 is right on the money. Learn the safe way and it will help you understand what the ropes and such that we use are doing. It's not rocket science, but you will feel safer in a commercial product.

Are they less than an Evo? What should I expect to spend on a used Trophy Line?

With the introduction of the New Tribe saddles to the market, it seems to have driven the price down on Trophyline saddles. Should be able to get everything for under 275.

With the introduction of the New Tribe saddles to the market, it seems to have driven the price down on Trophyline saddles. Should be able to get everything for under 275.

You know it's funny you said this about the price coming down.

I brushed off saddle hunting when I first heard about it a little over a year ago. Then when I got interested in it I looked into saddles and could not believe the prices. The most expensive rock harnesses are 1/3 of what they want for these saddles. And right away I start thinking of making one.
Then I hear about this sit drag idea and I'm looking at that and thinking this is so simple it's not funny. Anyone can make one of these. The right materials and the right know how with knots and such and your in business. And with this being such a niche market and a fairly new concept I would say, I bet these companies making these saddles won't last long at these prices. As soon as a few more companies start making some saddles for under $200 these other companies are gonna have to significantly drop prices or they are going the way of the dodo.

Like the others have said, probably best to start with an actual saddle designed for the purpose. Learn how to use it safely and figure out what you like/don't like about it. It's a learning/tweaking process that takes a while to adjust to your style and needs. It took me two seasons to figure out what I wanted. Buying used on here or AT is your best bet for finding one at a good price to start with.

I started this year. I stumbled across this forum and realized I already had a sit drag I bought a few years ago at the NWTF.

I had recently bought some rope ovwr the summer to make me a linemans belt and a few Tree tethers. Also bought some smaller rope to make prusik knots and had just converted to rock climbing harness this year. So I was pretty much set.

IMO I don't think one needs all that fancy stuff to get started. Just need a sit drag some climbing rope, some smaller rope for prusik knots, and some carabiners.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So I looked up New Tribe and I looked up Trophy Line as well as Sit Drag.
Are there other brands I need to consider? Seems I read on here that there is one that no longer makes them.
Are Trophy Tree Saddle and Tree Saddle the same or different brands?

So I looked up New Tribe and I looked up Trophy Line as well as Sit Drag.
Are there other brands I need to consider? Seems I read on here that there is one that no longer makes them.
Are Trophy Tree Saddle and Tree Saddle the same or different brands?

The other biggie is the Guido's Web

Back