• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First Stick for Single Stick Climbing - Best configuration

Cvan1971man

Hey guys, I am new to the saddle hunting world. There are a lot of different stick manufacturers out there.

My question is on the configuration of it. I have been looking at making a short stick - 12-15" in length with one double step on the bottom / no top double step.

I have seen several guys running this type of setup - most are customized. The one manufactured this way is the Shikar Mini.

I realize that each person is going to have their preference. I am looking for the downsides of having a short (12-15") stick as well as only having a bottom double step.

I appreciate your input.

Attachments

• SHIKAR_MINI_main__65877.1587397707.jpg
    SHIKAR_MINI_main__65877.1587397707.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 61
I wouldn’t use the Shikar mini especially just starting out. If you are building your dedicated 1 sticking stick I recommend a 15” stick.

If you just want to try it out. Just modify a stick you have

This is going to get some naysayers but hear me out. I would recommend a single Hawk mini stick (20") combined with a single step aider. The stick can be bought for ~$50 and you can add a GM Climb runner to the lower standoff as an aider for another $10. If you add a Harken 150 cam cleat for $35 (see classifieds here) and 8 ft of 6mm Sterling accessory cord you can be one sticking for less than $100. Essentially the same system I've been using for four years now.

I bought a 4 pack of muddy pro sticks. They already have a cam cleat on them and I cut up to different lengths and found what I liked. Kept one and put a monarch platform on the top and a lightweight double step on the bottom. Works great. I then got a 12" fixed shakar and put a cam cleat on that to use with a separate platform. I made a rope aider to experiment with different step hights and when I found what I want I ordered a 3 step aider from EWO. Their are a lot of different options. Just got to jump in and find what works for u. I would find something used on line to experiment with

Hey guys, I am new to the saddle hunting world. There are a lot of different stick manufacturers out there.

My question is on the configuration of it. I have been looking at making a short stick - 12-15" in length with one double step on the bottom / no top double step.

I have seen several guys running this type of setup - most are customized. The one manufactured this way is the Shikar Mini.

I realize that each person is going to have their preference. I am looking for the downsides of having a short (12-15") stick as well as only having a bottom double step.

I appreciate your input.
I’ma smaller guy at 5’7”. I’ve been loving my EWO 12” stick with UP on top. 2 step aider.

All I can speak to is what I’ve got and it’s the 14” Sh1kar. I debated on building up a Hawk stick that I already had but decided to buy once/cry once and if I didn’t like it, I could sell it.

I built the Sh1kar with double steps on top and bottom, Harken 150, full bury amsteel, 3 step webbing aider from EWO with 15” spacing, and added a gear tie for a handle. I don’t have anything else to compare it to but I’m extremely happy with it.

Some folks don’t use the top step while climbing but I found over time I really preferred using it. I’ll climb up on it and get my tether as high as I can reach and then lower myself enough to be able to reach the Nite Ize handle to advance my stick up the tree. By using the top step to get my tether as high as possible, when I reach the bottom step of my stick after my first, second, or third move, the tether doesn’t have as much slack as it would if I had been standing on the bottom step when I advanced my tether.

If I only use the bottom step to get the tether as high as I can reach, when I advance my stick up the tree, the top step is right against my tether. This creates a lot of slack as your climbing. Some folks don’t seem to mind this but I don’t want to fall any farther than I have to if I have a stick kick out.

One last thing, if you’re using a platform, it’s really nice having the top step of the stick at the same level as your platform. If I can I’ll always place my platform to the right of my stick. This gives me an extra step around the tree and another place for my feet so I can kind of stretch out a bit. Makes my sets much more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been looking at making a short stick - 12-15" in length with one double step on the bottom / no top double step.

I appreciate your input.

I've had a handful of one-sticks and if I were you I would find/build one with two steps or one step and a platform.
18" - 20" length is what I recommend as well...

Screenshot_20210717-120756_Gallery.jpg

Sumthin' like those ^^^.

Getting the hang of moving the stick seemed to be the biggest obstacle IMHO(after trusting the equipment and being able to just hang) You’ll move it more often or use an aider, but the only recommendation I have is a double step versus a single left or right side mounted step. Fiddling while on both feet is surely better than one and you got that, so go climb with it and see!
BTW- I added a 3 step aider to my short stick. After a few climbs I realized the 3rd step was overkill and I vet taped the bottom 2 steps together to make it a 2 step. Play and tinker seems the norm around here…..and $pending!

Back