• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

First water buck

Haha that's awesome. Canoing to one of my spots weather permitting. Hope to do something similar. Nice buck!

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

That's a full load lol. What kind of yak?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I opened this expected to see an African Waterbuck - which to me is one of the top trophies Id like to kill. but nice buck as it is :)

I do some river hunting on public occasionally and always use my canoe. If I'm gun hunting, I like the fact that I can actually have a loaded gun in the boat if there's no motor. The only down side is coming back up stream at night. I've been thinking about going the kayak route but that's a load in a kayak - me at 225# and my monster swamp buck at 325# (ok, maybe not quite). Add in freezing temps and I always choose to stick with the canoe. Gonna try it with a kayak paddle this year but I probably need a narrower canoe.

So post up pics of other kayaks you guys are using and how they work with hauling a deer out.

I do some river hunting on public occasionally and always use my canoe. If I'm gun hunting, I like the fact that I can actually have a loaded gun in the boat if there's no motor. The only down side is coming back up stream at night. I've been thinking about going the kayak route but that's a load in a kayak - me at 225# and my monster swamp buck at 325# (ok, maybe not quite). Add in freezing temps and I always choose to stick with the canoe. Gonna try it with a kayak paddle this year but I probably need a narrower canoe.

So post up pics of other kayaks you guys are using and how they work with hauling a deer out.
Ive heard of guys putting a life jacket on the deer and floating it behind the kayak. Lol

A couple of those kiddo blow up pool rafts will get the job done

I know it may not be legal in all states but where I could I would quarter and put the meat in meat sacks for the trip out. I do this on my hard to reach places now and will never drag another one where legal to quarter in the filed. I have a mini tripod for my phone and use the timer to get a few field pics and get to skinning and packing out. Just all together easier when you hunt remote and alone.

What tensaw you talking about? not the Tensas in Louisiana is it?
Nope. T E N S A W. Tensaw River in Alabama. Big honkin' river that forms the eastern border of the Mobile-Tensaw delta. I live on it. Up where I'm at, it's pretty mild. But there's a 5ish mile stretch of it south of me where it widens out to go around a large island and when the winds pick up...oh boy. It kills some folks in canoes and overloaded jonboats every few years. I was pushing my luck with that show on board.

I'm familiar with the Tensas as well though.

Lol. I did think about an inflatable raft. Wouldn't want to float out a gutted deer though.

Maybe there's an obvious answer, but why not? It it that it simply doesn't float?

I had friend who floated out a hog that he had already gutted.. big mistake..
Just curious, what happened? I've always kept gutted animals as clean and dry as possible and i'm sure it spoiled but i have always wondered how the meat would react to water. Did it turn rancid? Get mushy? did he try to eat it and get sick?

Just curious, what happened? I've always kept gutted animals as clean and dry as possible and i'm sure it spoiled but i have always wondered how the meat would react to water. Did it turn rancid? Get mushy? did he try to eat it and get sick?
Growing up, my family primarily hunted by boat. We would often gut and then submerge our deer in open water, it cools the meat down nicely. The important thing is to not let the gutted area touch the river bottom or leaves. We have left them for extended periods in “cold” water with no issues. When left in current it actually helped clean out the insides.

Our stream is a wild, free flowing clean resource where we presently hunt & fish.

Last edited:
Back