• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Flat out miss

MIPublic

SH Member
You obviously never think you’re going to post here, until you do. This one hurts, not gonna lie.

It’s my third year bowhunting and first full season with my compound. I missed a nice 8 last year on private with the mini, but this one hits different. It was my first encounter with a good buck on public.

Had the day off work, weather was set up nicely, winds were shifting in the right direction for this spot, and the temps dropped about 15 degrees overnight. Got set up in the tree by 615 am, shooting time was 658. I’m hunting a small ridge that bottoms out into a marshy swampy area for a couple hundred yards before it hits a lake. I shot my doe on the same ridge last year and this year I found a good scrape line and some good rubs last weekend. Last weekend I bumped a bedded doe near a tree I was planning to sit in. As I walked through her bed I could smell a buck. I knew I was getting close. This morning I set up in the middle of the scrape line about 80ish yards east of where that bed was. I did a rattling sequence at 7ish and working 30 seconds of putting my bag away I could hear leaves and sticks crunching and cracking. This buck came in on a string from roughly 100 yards, right in the general area of where I bumped that doe last weekend. While it was legal shooting light it was a little cloudier that in was on my walk in. It wasn’t uber clear but as he got closer I realized it was one of the nice 8 points I had in camera from the last week. Honestly it didn’t matter what it was, if I had a quality shot at any buck it was going down. I had the wind advantage and felt good. At about 40 yards he turns and starts circling my tree heading towards my back side. He stepped behind a large oak tree and I drew. He steps out from the tree at my 530 and he stands broadside, probably 15 yards.

I had all the time in the world, he was calm, had no idea I was there, and I yanked it, clean miss. He jumped and went about 10ish yards and turned around and looked back. On one hand I’m obviously happy it was a clean miss, at the same time it’s devastating to do almost everything right and still come up empty.

Takeaways

-I feel like a lot went right, so I need to remember that.
-He was startled but certainly not spooked. While it’s the rut and anything can happen, I suspect he’ll be in the area for the next couple days unless other pressure pushes him out.
-I need to continue to shoot with my bow. Buck fever or not, 14 yards broadside is a shot I should make, often.

Ya learn and move on, doesn’t mean it that sting is leaving anytime soon.

Good luck everyone, hunt on!

Been there, done that. It was a clean miss so be thankful. Get back in there and get after him. Good luck.

Cliche I know but its why its called deer hunting not deer killing. Get back after them bucks.

I dread the day i have a miss. Been lucky so far. I like to think me shooting most of the year and also never taking shots that are questionable lead to good results, if you do something enough youre bound to become a statistic.

It’s always a good thing to have a positive mindset after a mistake. You understood what went wrong and can actively work on improvements! Get back in the tree and hopefully you get another chance!

1. Nice job getting on a big buck on MI public
2. Any idea why you missed? I know you said you need to practice more, but there could be some contributing factors to work out. For example...Wearing a mask, but practice without one? Practice on lawn, executed shot hanging in saddle? Sight got bumped? Hit a twig? Draw arm crept of the backwall after a long hold?

Anyone can miss. I know of an indoor league champ blowing a shot like that. But really, at 14yds, it's surprising you did't hit the deer at all and maybe you can identify something specific that affected your shot.

I missed comically bad on my second shot at a deer. 20 yards. Missed by about 5 feet lol.

The point of my post here is that that deer was at about 11-11:30, and looking towards me, I thought I'd get busted moving my legs around. My tether was a little high, interfering with my how string, I simply pushed the bow over to put the pin on the deer without moving my anchor or rotating my body if that makes sense.

Something to consider, good luck out there! Those MI public have been kicking my butt!

Back