• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Flat UP.

dougell

Nov 21, 2019
I hunted all of last season with an EWO one stick and UP.It was great but I'm not a fan of slanted platform.I really don't think they're any more comfortable and they limit you on how you can take a weak side shot or just stand.I got the flat UP last week and had a chance to play with it briefly.In my opinion it's a huge improvenet over an already great set up.I was easily able to shoot from my weak side and easily stand and turn any way I wanted.I doubt I'll even use a ring of steps with this.

huntin_addict

Jun 18, 2018
Erie County, PA
I hunted all of last season with an EWO one stick and UP.It was great but I'm not a fan of slanted platform.I really don't think they're any more comfortable and they limit you on how you can take a weak side shot or just stand.I got the flat UP last week and had a chance to play with it briefly.In my opinion it's a huge improvenet over an already great set up.I was easily able to shoot from my weak side and easily stand and turn any way I wanted.I doubt I'll even use a ring of steps with this.
Man I had the exact same experience with my UP last year. I was going to pull the trigger on a flat UP, just waiting on my brother who is getting into saddle hunting to let me know what he wants to order from EWO to save on shipping.

Thanks for this, confirms what I thought as well.

NMSbowhunter

SH Member
Jan 3, 2022
This is good feedback since I may be going this route later in the summer to finish out my one sticking setup.

cincyprostheticguy

SH Member
Feb 8, 2022
Im looking into the same thing and was wondering if the flat would be better and from what i gather it depends on how you use the saddle. For leaning or sitting in the saddle most like the angled .. is that wrong?

Crcusmonky

SH Member
Dec 29, 2020
Huron county, MI
I used a flat monarch and I am mostly a leaner. When I get tired of the edge in the middle of my foot I just put my heel on the edge and my toes on the tree. But I might try the flat up this year for the extra space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougell

Nov 21, 2019
Im looking into the same thing and was wondering if the flat would be better and from what i gather it depends on how you use the saddle. For leaning or sitting in the saddle most like the angled .. is that wrong?
I personally don't find an angled platform to be any more comfortable while leabing and certainly not more comfortable when sitting.Even it it were more comfortable,to me it's not worth giving up the ability to stand,turn around or pivot.

treefox 1

SH Member
Nov 12, 2015
Southeast pa.
I'm also ready to pull the trigger on a one stick, I've always used a ring of steps,but they get uncomfortable after awhile so I'm looking for more comfort and also to be able to change some of your clothes in tree so if the flat one is comfortable for a leaner I think that is the one I am getting.

forkhorn83

Feb 15, 2019
thanks for the feedback Doug - thought the name looked familiar...i've messaged you over on the PA forum on AT. i was close to pulling the trigger on the angled version, but concerned about the useable space. i'm 80% leaner / 20% sitter, but sounds like the flat might be the way to go even for a leaner. will be my first 1 stick - coming from using a lwcg .5 for my platform.

Nohvah

Oct 31, 2021
thanks for the feedback Doug - thought the name looked familiar...i've messaged you over on the PA forum on AT. i was close to pulling the trigger on the angled version, but concerned about the useable space. i'm 80% leaner / 20% sitter, but sounds like the flat might be the way to go even for a leaner. will be my first 1 stick - coming from using a lwcg .5 for my platform.
If you lean more, you will really love the angled.

Reactions: AttackMode

forkhorn83

Feb 15, 2019
might have to buy both and sell whatever one i don't like. i lean way more, but the extra real estate to pivot and stand on for the flat version is making me question if i should get the angled version or not.

hokiehunter373

Jan 14, 2019
Maryland
might have to buy both and sell whatever one i don't like. i lean way more, but the extra real estate to pivot and stand on for the flat version is making me question if i should get the angled version or not.
Make sure to report back your findings. I'm contemplating the same right now

dougell

Nov 21, 2019
I have one of each set up to climb with.If you're ever in central Pa,you're more than welcome to try both out.I 100% like the flat one better but I still liked the angled one.

forkhorn83

Feb 15, 2019
I have one of each set up to climb with.If you're ever in central Pa,you're more than welcome to try both out.I 100% like the flat one better but I still liked the angled one.

Thanks Doug - really appreciate that. I'm about a half hour north of Pittsburgh, but we have a camp out towards Potter and I'm out in central PA every so often fly fishing. Will definitely reach out if I'm in the area, but in the mean time I'm going to order the Flat. I hunted off a LWCG .5 as a platform last year and never had any issues without having an angle. I think I'll benefit from the flat design, but could always order the angled if I don't. Thanks for the feedback.

woodsdog2

SH Member
Jun 28, 2019
I've got the angled UP and did not experience any issues with weak side shooting. I mostly lean so this may have a bearing on my tendency to want a slightly slanted platform end which the UP is. It is nothing drastic and quite comfortable. I also would not envision any problems with standing on it for an offside shot but I don't use that method anyway to gain weak side access to shoot. Course, I'm only a size 10 boot.

forkhorn83

Feb 15, 2019
I've got the angled UP and did not experience any issues with weak side shooting. I mostly lean so this may have a bearing on my tendency to want a slightly slanted platform end which the UP is. It is nothing drastic and quite comfortable. I also would not envision any problems with standing on it for an offside shot but I don't use that method anyway to gain weak side access to shoot. Course, I'm only a size 10 boot.

I'm 9.5 so I may have a little more space yet :). I'm going to give the flat a shot first and if I think I need more of an angle I'll order the angled to try.

phatkaw

SH Member
Feb 23, 2021
Western Pa
I had a U.P. and liked it a lot. The angled part is only out on the end and I thought it was a great design.
After a whole bunch of time on the U.P. and an angled Monarch and a flat Scout I prefer the Scout hands down!

forkhorn83

Feb 15, 2019
I had a U.P. and liked it a lot. The angled part is only out on the end and I thought it was a great design.
After a whole bunch of time on the U.P. and an angled Monarch and a flat Scout I prefer the Scout hands down!

What did you like better about the Scout? I could see that being an option for short sits but anything over a few hours and I’d feel like I’d want something bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phatkaw

SH Member
Feb 23, 2021
Western Pa
I like everything about the flat Scout better.
It might be a little smaller but when you're in a tree it gives you two places to bury your feet against the tree that the other platforms don't. I can get around the tree easier on the Scout mostly because of that.
It being smaller, obviously it packs better too.

forkhorn83

Feb 15, 2019
I like everything about the flat Scout better.
It might be a little smaller but when you're in a tree it gives you two places to bury your feet against the tree that the other platforms don't. I can get around the tree easier on the Scout mostly because of that.
It being smaller, obviously it packs better too.

Thanks - makes sense and good to know. I thought about the Scout for quick hunts, but I don't mind the additional weight of the UP. I think I may end up trying a few different versions of the stick until I find what works for me.