• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Fletching jigs

Hogtooth

Thoughts on Arizona ez fletch jig. What jig should I buy. Mini or mini max. Does anyone have any experience with this fletching jig. Let's get it started and learn together.

I have an arizona ez fletch mini for putting on blazers with a right helical and love it. The glue can run though, so I apply pretty lightly (just enough) and use a gel super glue. When you get glue on the arms, soaking in acetone removes it with a toothbrush. The minimax is if you want to do vanes longer than a standard blazer.

I used an EZFletch Mini for years for my Blazers, worked fine except for as mentioned above the glue running out and getting on fletching tool. If you clean it regularly shouldn't be an issue. That being said, I recently bought a Bitz and love it, definitely worth the additional ~$60 especially if you decide to use feathers at some point in the future.

I used an EZFletch Mini for years for my Blazers, worked fine except for as mentioned above the glue running out and getting on fletching tool. If you clean it regularly shouldn't be an issue. That being said, I recently bought a Bitz and love it, definitely worth the additional ~$60 especially if you decide to use feathers at some point in the future.

Yeah, it is a thin line (literally) between too much glue and not enough with those. If you get too much, and let the fletching sit too long to dry, then it pulls some of your arrow wrap off and onto the jig (needs removed then). I think if you used a primer pen and a matching glue and then pressed them on for just a few seconds, then it would be fine. But Wally World gorilla glue gel is so cheap, easy, and tough.

I chose the goat tuff fetching jig. Cheap and easy to use. I like the fact that the pressure is applied from the arrow to the vane vs the vane being pushed to the arrow. I also like the way u just push the shaft down square to the vane....

I started with the Easton EZ Fletch , a lot like the Arizona. After a couple years I upgraded to the Bitzenburger because of small inconsistencies with EZ Fletch results. I like the metal construction over the plastic a lot - really helps with glue cleanup.
The EZ Fletch was very fast to use, but I prefer the precision of the Bitz.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

I'm on team bitz as well. It can be a little tricky with small vanes, I was putting on a 4 fletch of AAE PM 23 vanes and they were a little tricky due to the small contact area on the shaft of a small diameter arrow and the helical, but doing the a more normal sized vane is easy.

I chose the goat tuff fetching jig. Cheap and easy to use. I like the fact that the pressure is applied from the arrow to the vane vs the vane being pushed to the arrow. I also like the way u just push the shaft down square to the vane....

I got hung up on EZ fletch's claim to "true helical". What degree helical do you run and can you post a closeup of the fletching job? I've not heard of the goat tuff and am interested. The way the van is held horizontal and below the arrow means that runny glue won't get on the arrow (but probably will get on the jig).

The jig doesn't have a true straight fletch but these 2 practice arrows are on 1 degree right wing 2"razor feathers...I'm just a weekend tinkerer. I did 6 arrows for my friend with blazers on the 3degree and they turned out nice but I dont have pics. Excess glue is easy to clean because the part that holds the fetching separates from the rest of the jig and just wipe with whatever solvent u prefer. The way the jig holds the vane u have two hand control with the glue bottle so that is a plus also20200703_105743.jpg20200703_105810.jpg

I'm on team bitz as well. It can be a little tricky with small vanes, I was putting on a 4 fletch of AAE PM 23 vanes and they were a little tricky due to the small contact area on the shaft of a small diameter arrow and the helical, but doing the a more normal sized vane is easy.

I didn’t realize initially, but there’s a plate between the clamp and the magnet than can be removed for micro diameter arrows.

I didn’t realize initially, but there’s a plate between the clamp and the magnet than can be removed for micro diameter arrows.
Ya I have the zenith kit too, but the fletchings are just so touchy with the micro diameter and small fletchings that it just takes a little trial and error. I got it down pretty good now, occasionally I have to redo one but its not often.

The jig doesn't have a true straight fletch but these 2 practice arrows are on 1 degree right wing 2"razor feathers...I'm just a weekend tinkerer. I did 6 arrows for my friend with blazers on the 3degree and they turned out nice but I dont have pics. Excess glue is easy to clean because the part that holds the fetching separates from the rest of the jig and just wipe with whatever solvent u prefer. The way the jig holds the vane u have two hand control with the glue bottle so that is a plus alsoView attachment 29655View attachment 29656

Thanks, looks good.

Back