• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Flex question

ImThere

Does the inside of yours look like this after 3 climbs? Is this the inner rubbery coating coming off ?
9af363da12f1cfb9b7e2cc4dc4bc97f9.jpg
58a8e2e56b9c87bdda3fd2987e554bc4.jpg
7e252306209732816544dd1282f6735f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is showing some discoloration but not that bad

Ya that's exactly what I thought I'm not very impressed.. cant wait to see it after one season

That's interesting, I haven't really used mine enough to notice yet.

All cordura fabrics I've seen in backpacks and stuff have that polyeurethane coating, but all I've ever seen is clear coat. I'd never seen that black one before and don't really care for the appearance of it, but at least it's on the inside. I had been kinda figuring it was going to wear off to some degree.

Mine is getting there, though not that bad (at least, I don't remember it being so. I'll have to dig it out later)

I try not to think too hard about it.

It is the rubberized backing coming off the cordura. The Kestrel is likely doing this internally, but you can't see it between the layers. This does not affect the saddle one bit, have seen it happen on all other backed cordura products I've owned too.
92fb666c0a4c50ada79564d838b5bf8a.jpg
45ae41a3f4e6edf80e598e020e26b921.jpg
b03b48d469c7c4c6b9970c14dc2bcee6.jpg

It is the rubberized backing coming off the cordura. The Kestrel is likely doing this internally, but you can't see it between the layers. This does not affect the saddle one bit, have seen it happen on all other backed cordura products I've owned too.
I’m sure you know this as your post is well-presented, but for anyone who’s curious, the “actual” cordura is the material poking through. The coating is simply that: a paint of sorts. All coatings on heavy cordura-type materials will eventually fade or wear. This does look particularly bad aesthetically, though, and the haters will definitely be taking AH to task on this for their next run of Flexes. Whether it’s expected, affected, or any other -ected, it’s still not super visually attractive, and it will probably get in some guys’ heads to where they don’t “feel” safe and confident. People need to feel confident and safe if they’re going to hang 20-30’ up from heavy dental floss lol. I love AH; they should probably try a different (or no) coating, or put a warning on packaging that this discoloration is probable but completely safe.

I wonder why it’s not on the inside like the Kestrel? Does it help holding the flex in place?

I wonder why it’s not on the inside like the Kestrel? Does it help holding the flex in place?

If I had to guess, they were trying to ease the “slide-ability” of the inside on Flex, and reduce fraying of seams. Kestrel doesn’t “shift” like the Flex is supposed to on your butt, so it’s not really intuitive or justifiable on Kestrel IMO.

Just a guess, I don't have a Flex, but I suspect that the Flex is a single layer saddle where the Kestrel has two layers sewn back to back. This is how the Flex is somewhat lighter than the Kestrel.

This isn’t mine. But I was curious about it. Care to share pics of yours? Is this the rubbery coating I have heard mention of?

Yes it is. I honestly don't know what purpose it serves. I will take some pics after work. It looks like crap but I don't think it affects anything.

Back