• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Floating across water

Backstrap Assassin

I have a few spots I'm going to try to hunt this year in northern Michigan, but to access them I need to cross some deep slow flowing rivers or creeks, beaver ponds, small lakes, etc. Has anyone floated across bodies of water like these with something other than a kayak or canoe? I'm literally thinking an inner tub haha....I need something smaller and light.

I'm not worried about getting a deer back across once shot. I will drag it around the long way or something.

I am faced with water navigation CONSTANTLY. Here's a pic of my backyard.

Screenshot_20190814-105749_Google.jpg

Everything from major rivers to just knee deep mud.

I have crossed water too deep to wade in an inner tube. I do NOT recommend it if there is any current, if it is very cold, or really if you are by yourself. If you cant navigate it in chest waders, get a lightweight canoe or kayak.

At least 4 people that I know of died just last year messing with water they shouldn't have been messing with out in the swamp. Happens every year.

If it's just a short crossing, I would think an innertube with a mesh or foam seat across the opening (like this) could work. If you want to take gear, get a second tube/seat, maybe keep a third deflated in a bag with a small bicycle pump and extra straps could be reasonably packable and may even float a small deer back out.

It may look ridiculous though, and a puncture would mean you're gonna have a bad time.

Edit: My intention with the seat was to wear waders and straddle the seat with your legs down through the tube. The tube would just be to keep the opening of the waders above water where it gets deep.

I am faced with water navigation CONSTANTLY. Here's a pic of my backyard.

View attachment 15015

Everything from major rivers to just knee deep mud.

I have crossed water too deep to wade in an inner tube. I do NOT recommend it if there is any current, if it is very cold, or really if you are by yourself. If you cant navigate it in chest waders, get a lightweight canoe or kayak.

At least 4 people that I know of died just last year messing with water they shouldn't have been messing with out in the swamp. Happens every year.

Some of these creeks and rivers are hardly moving and they are only 10-30 yards wide...but yes I don't see myself doing this in late November/December.

If it's just a short crossing, I would think an innertube with a mesh or foam seat across the opening (like this) could work. If you want to take gear, get a second tube/seat, maybe keep a third deflated in a bag with a small bicycle pump and extra straps could be reasonably packable and may even float a small deer back out.

It may look ridiculous though, and a puncture would mean you're gonna have a bad time.

Edit: My intention with the seat was to wear waders and straddle the seat with your legs down through the tube. The tube would just be to keep the opening of the waders above water where it gets deep.

Now you are speaking my language!

Goretex or other waterproof bivvy bag. Throw all your gear in, tie it tight to trap sir inside, not too much, enter the water and laying half/3/4 on the bag. Kick your way to the other side. You can tie off and run a rope with you if you feel so inclined. Keep your firearm out of the bag. Yes it does mean you get wet.

Obviously you need to take appropriate safety precautions. Including not using this method if it's too cold or fast flowing.

Can be a bit of a mind **** but it works, done it.

Some of these creeks and rivers are hardly moving and they are only 10-30 yards wide...but yes I don't see myself doing this in late November/December.
Just remember you can drown in a toilet.

Like I said, I cross water all the time. It's probably about the same as climbing trees. It can be perfectly safe, until it isnt.

float tube
9a19ca3083c008ff97cbcf6bd4205d97.jpg

How far in are these crossings? I mean are you walking a mile in then crossing the water? If so, do you really want to haul a big inner tube or some type of float through the woods? If it's close to the truck, no problem, but being sick of lugging bulky crap through the woods is what led most of us here in the first place. I personally prefer to walk a little further to either go around the obstacle or find a shallower crossing and wade across.... Contractor trash bags make great little hip waders for short, shallow crossings.

Here's another thing I'll throw out. I'm buying a pack raft at some point. Mayne not this one, but the concept is neat as heck:

https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-14LDB...argid=aud-829758849484:pla-315860994661&psc=1

2lbs is on the heavy side for these things. They make them under a pound, and pair them with kayak blades that attach to hiking poles.

I can think of one pond in particular where this would be invaluable for retrieving wood ducks. Big pond, too deep for waders, WAY too remote to drag a boat to, unless you did it once and then just left it there.

I have a spot in ohio, where i have debated this similar to Nutters blow up. Last year I had some nice bucks on cam. I came in from another side...and took a total bath, especially coming back...Im talking horizontal totally under....lol.
This year I may take this old gal...ex life guard Im told.
eeb2aa94ffa64504201abb5b09e21c7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How far in are these crossings? I mean are you walking a mile in then crossing the water? If so, do you really want to haul a big inner tube or some type of float through the woods? If it's close to the truck, no problem, but being sick of lugging bulky crap through the woods is what led most of us here in the first place. I personally prefer to walk a little further to either go around the obstacle or find a shallower crossing and wade across.... Contractor trash bags make great little hip waders for short, shallow crossings.

I actually love the trash bag idea if the water is swallower.

Back