• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Flying with venison?

Madsteezin

I’m heading from MA - UT this week and would love to bring some venison out. It’s about a 5 hour flight and I’ll be checking a ski-boot bag. Does anyone have any tips for packing and flying with meat besides covering and wrapping in ice packs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freeze it as hard and cold as you can, put it in a trash bag, and pack it in the center of your bag, the clothes/coats/etc around it will act as insulation. it'll still be frozen when you arrive. i flew back from alaska in september with about 10 lbs of fish in my checked luggage, travel time was more than twice yours including a layover in seattle where who knows how the bag was stored, but it was all still frozen (i didn't use any ice packs, no room)

I also had about 10 lbs of homemade vacuum packed deer jerky in my carry on on the way there- no issues flying with food that way either.

Last edited:
You can fly with it in your carryon as well if you use @thedutchtouch method. As long as you don’t have the ice packs it’ll go through security.
just be extra sure that it's fully frozen if you're carrying on, i didnt want to risk a TSA screener treating a drop of condensation as liquid so out of an abundance of paranoia that i labeled as caution I chose to risk the checked bag (and then spent some of the flight worrying about the chance it was lost that way lol).

Meh that's more post shot than bringing a roast or steaks to a friend's house.

"(1) It is unlawful to import dead elk, moose, mule deer, or white-tailed deer or their parts from any state or province which has deer or elk diagnosed with Chronic Wasting Disease, except the following portions of the carcass:
(a) meat that is cut and wrapped either commercially or privately;" very first exclusion applies so it's lawful, it's no longer part of a carcass, it's just food.

Meh that's more post shot than bringing a roast or steaks to a friend's house.

"(1) It is unlawful to import dead elk, moose, mule deer, or white-tailed deer or their parts from any state or province which has deer or elk diagnosed with Chronic Wasting Disease, except the following portions of the carcass:
(a) meat that is cut and wrapped either commercially or privately;" very first exclusion applies so it's lawful, it's no longer part of a carcass, it's just food.

Confusing contradiction

freeze it as hard and cold as you can, put it in a trash bag, and pack it in the center of your bag, the clothes/coats/etc around it will act as insulation. it'll still be frozen when you arrive. i flew back from alaska in september with about 10 lbs of fish in my checked luggage, travel time was more than twice yours including a layover in seattle where who knows how the bag was stored, but it was all still frozen (i didn't use any ice packs, no room)

I also had about 10 lbs of homemade vacuum packed deer jerky in my carry on on the way there- no issues flying with food that way either.

Sounds like a solid idea. I’ve had those Alaska frozen fish and I’m not sure what they do but my freezer doesn’t freeze stuff that cold. I do think it would be fine either way as you mentioned

The Utah law sounds pretty strait forward to me. I can summarize: carry deboned steaks or ground meat.

Confusing contradiction

its not contradictory. you've cut the meat off the bone, so youre fine. the law says you cant bring animal pieces in from CWD places unless youve done one of a list of things, and you did the first one listed, you're good to go.

I flew with a sika 2 years ago. At the time I had to have it in a carry-on. Well, at least that’s what I was told. I used a soft yeti, froze hard, and some dry ice. Was about a seven hour trip, and was still hard as a brick when I landed.

Best bet is to call the airline you're flying on, at the airport you're flying out of. They may have company-specific requirements or suggestions. You can have your bags hand-inspected, like you do if traveling with checked firerarms, but you'll want to budget another hour or so at the start. If you freeze it solid and have some extra plastic wrap and tape in your bag, you can probably wrap it up more after the hand inspection. Also, if you have a sleeping bag - preferably a cheap polyfill bag, you can wrap it in, that will probably help, even if it means an extra baggage charge.

I'd be leery of dry ice - it would work great to keep it frozen, but escaping fog might provoke a security response that would cost you both your baggage and your venison.

I routinely throw a frozen venison summer sausage in my checked bag to take skiing. Bury it in clothes and it will still be frozen when you land. Don't forget to pack the knife to cut it with (in your checked bag).

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Back