• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Foot fatigue

Davis21

1st year full time saddle hunting. Been in the JX3 all season and comfort isn’t an issue. Had first hang in regular saddle. Noticed my feet got sore pretty quick, is this normal or does it just take some time to get used too? Was wearing my Irish setter snake boots??

Yeah, could be the boots but you definitely have a lot more weight in your feet in a traditional saddle than Jx3

1st year full time saddle hunting. Been in the JX3 all season and comfort isn’t an issue. Had first hang in regular saddle. Noticed my feet got sore pretty quick, is this normal or does it just take some time to get used too? Was wearing my Irish setter snake boots??
May not be any truth behind it, but the reviews I've read on the Irish setter boots they have said that they have a softer sole on them, that may be what's causing the foot fatigue. May try a stiffer soled boot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What are you standing on? All I've ever used are my home brew platforms. I was having some foot but mostly ankle discomfort. My newest, and most comfortable, is at an extreme angle letting my feet/ankles be in a for natural position

Predator platform. I’ll try angling it down a little bit. Appreciate it

I have arthritis in all my joints. Had it since I was a teen. I find staying in any one position hurts after a while so I’m constantly (slowly) shifting positions.

Maybe you need to try sitting in your saddle and putting your knees on the tree or on a smaller tree, hug it. Anything to take the weight off your feet for a few minutes every so often would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a suggestion. Most people do not stand and work on their feet all day. Just a change in the work we do compared to what Americans did 100 years ago. So our bodies are not as hard as they once were. The exception is @huck72412.

I would suggest a steel shank boot. It is a trade off, as most steel shanks are stiffer and they do not flex as much. Trying some inserts may help as well.

Lace up boots for ankle support helped me, and I thought for sure a platform would do the trick. Also sitting takes weight down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got sore feet when I first started out from the sharp front edge of my predator. I wrapped it along the front with some cheap 3/8" rope and that helped a ton.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

One thing that really helps sore feet replace those boot inserts I replace mine with dr sholls workboot inserts. they make a ton of difference on comfort in any boot I am wearing.

Lean, sit, stand. About 15 minutes each, as necessary til you climb down.
I don't know if you can stand up in your JX3 but if I can't stand up once in a while my feet and knees get uncomfortable after awhile.

Lean, sit, stand. About 15 minutes each, as necessary til you climb down.
I don't know if you can stand up in your JX3 but if I can't stand up once in a while my feet and knees get uncomfortable after awhile.

I've noticed this about sitting. We are all different shapes and sizes. But on the rare occasion I find a chair that has the seat at the exact angle, at the exact distance off the floor, I can sit still in comfort with no nerve pinching or soreness. That's what the hybrid is. You can alter your hookup height, so that you place the exact amount of weight on your feet/knees that you prefer, at the proper distance that makes you comfortable. If you're hooked up too low, your knees will be at too acute of an angle, and get some stiffness, ankles too. Too high, and you'll pinch the nerves/circulation in back of your hams, and legs will fall asleep. Just right, and I can sit still for hours. I do stand up about once every couple of hours to pee and stretch. And sometimes I'll stay leaning for a while.

But the hybrid is definitely a cureall for foot soreness!

The best place to start is stiffer suppoortive boots with a good vibram sole--superfeet inserts at the very least.

Just a suggestion. Most people do not stand and work on their feet all day. Just a change in the work we do compared to what Americans did 100 years ago. So our bodies are not as hard as they once were.

Good point! I was having issues staying still/comfortable on a ROS. Realized I stand most of the day at work, so switched to a platform and mostly standing (leaning) and have been more comfortable. I wear minimalist shoes, I don’t deal with clunky boots.

So to the OP try a standing workstation. It could have health benefits beyond improving your hunts.

Good point! I was having issues staying still/comfortable on a ROS. Realized I stand most of the day at work, so switched to a platform and mostly standing (leaning) and have been more comfortable. I wear minimalist shoes, I don’t deal with clunky boots.

So to the OP try a standing workstation. It could have health benefits beyond improving your hunts.

Check out LEMS boulder boot....

78ba27caf0985f0cd383f64f26eccec8.jpg

Colorado Hippies and I’m pretty sure that’s the first one (or 2 in this instance) has ever stood on a gobbler’s neck, but they are damned comfortable and light as a feather.

Check out LEMS boulder boot....

78ba27caf0985f0cd383f64f26eccec8.jpg

Colorado Hippies and I’m pretty sure that’s the first one (or 2 in this instance) has ever stood on a gobbler’s neck, but they are damned comfortable and light as a feather.
I"d be afraid someone would mistake my foot for a turkey wearing fancy feathered boots like that. man, you must fly up the tree though!

Back