• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Freezer Size?

Swampdonkey47

For those of y'all that hunt and fish hard throughout the year how big are your freezers ? I have a small box 5 cubic ft freezer that filled up fast with deer and fish . I'm interested in getting other game eventually (hogs, bear,or elk) and wonder how much room other hunters have for food storage or how big of a freezer you would need for larger game .

I have a 24 cubic ft Kenmore chest freezer. Here in Louisiana we don’t have game the size of elk or bear. Deer, hogs or Tuna would qualify as the largest game I have to store. My freezer size holds this game and fish with enough room to close the lid. Hope that helps.

That’s a loaded question. So much depends on your family and how much you put up. I catch and release most of my fish. What I do keep is cooked within a few days of catching so I don’t put much fish in the freezer. I like 7-10 cubic foot chest freezers and anything bigger should be an upright in my opinion. I think a 20 cf upright or 10 cf chest freezer used in addition to your five foot would be a good place to start. A little extra is better than not enough. By the time deer season gets here my freezer looks pretty poor but I save milk jugs and fill them with water and put them in the freezer. I can then use them to ice my deer down. The wife fills up any freezer space at the beginning of summer with frozen meals for kids lunches. It’s kind of like storage space. I can’t seem to ever have enough of it.

That’s a loaded question. So much depends on your family and how much you put up. I catch and release most of my fish. What I do keep is cooked within a few days of catching so I don’t put much fish in the freezer. I like 7-10 cubic foot chest freezers and anything bigger should be an upright in my opinion. I think a 20 cf upright or 10 cf chest freezer used in addition to your five foot would be a good place to start. A little extra is better than not enough. By the time deer season gets here my freezer looks pretty poor but I save milk jugs and fill them with water and put them in the freezer. I can then use them to ice my deer down. The wife fills up any freezer space at the beginning of summer with frozen meals for kids lunches. It’s kind of like storage space. I can’t seem to ever have enough of it.

Thanks for the responses y'all,

Small family of 3, but I do like cooking for friends and relatives when they come over. I was able to get three deer and a good bit of fish this past season . The box freezer and some parts of the kitchen freezer are full. This year I have an invite for elk/mule deer hunt in the fall and (if successful) have a feeling I don't have the room even if I'm empty. Trying to get a variety of game means I need more room , but wanted to ask to get an idea .

Size is up to you. Get an UPRIGHT freezer. Way, way better for organizing the contents and avoiding loosing old stuff in the bottom...

I hunt, along with my three boys, so we have a standup freezer in our garage along with an additional refrigerator with the full left side being a freezer. Works for us and we have deer all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt, along with my three boys, so we have a standup freezer in our garage along with an additional refrigerator with the full left side being a freezer. Works for us and we have deer all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About what size is the standup freezer ?

I’m not even sure. It is an Imperial Heavy Duty Commercial that stands about 5’ tall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have both a chest freezer and an upright. If I was to only have one, it would be the upright. Both are around the 16cuft size I think. Packaged meat and fish are easy to get to in the upright. Sucks digging in a chest freezer but a chest freezer is needed for bulky items like stuff that needs to get to the taxidermist or bait for traps and ice storage. Also got an extra fridge with a freezer for my Keto beer or letting stuff defrost in or somewhere to put meat while I’m processing it.
I keep trying to get my brother to hunt but he says if he kills a deer he would have no where to keep it. That’s a terrible way to live. Too much time in the subdivision. Big house, fancy neighborhood, manicured lawn and got to eat out or go to the store every time they want to eat. I just open the freezer and go shopping!

I have both a chest freezer and an upright. If I was to only have one, it would be the upright. Both are around the 16cuft size I think. Packaged meat and fish are easy to get to in the upright. Sucks digging in a chest freezer but a chest freezer is needed for bulky items like stuff that needs to get to the taxidermist or bait for traps and ice storage. Also got an extra fridge with a freezer for my Keto beer or letting stuff defrost in or somewhere to put meat while I’m processing it.
I keep trying to get my brother to hunt but he says if he kills a deer he would have no where to keep it. That’s a terrible way to live. Too much time in the subdivision. Big house, fancy neighborhood, manicured lawn and got to eat out or go to the store every time they want to eat. I just open the freezer and go shopping!

Haha sounds like my brother, out in the country but still in a subdivision like that which makes no sense.. I've been trying to figure out which would be best . Stand up seems like the way to go. Can the temperature on those be adjusted? Say for aging quarters .

Haha sounds like my brother, out in the country but still in a subdivision like that which makes no sense.. I've been trying to figure out which would be best . Stand up seems like the way to go. Can the temperature on those be adjusted? Say for aging quarters .

There is a thermostat.

Think of it as precooked and very tenderized. You can make a stew, chili, stir fry, etc. I did a batch of venison stew meat (the tougher cuts). Melts in your mouth. And can be stored for years.

We do the same and actually love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back