• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Full-body harness to saddle?

LarkHarrison243

So i am 16 years old and i am on a pretty tight budget. I was wondering if it is possible (and safe) to turn a full body harness into a tree saddle. I have already installed a loop of 1'' webbing through my linemen's belt loops so that i can use that as my attachment point while one sticking. I have been using a cheap hang on stand that weighs about 20 pounds, and obviuosly can not really justify the price of a nice one. so i am thinking that a diy saddle might be a cheaper option. Is this even possible? I know full-body harnesses can cause suspension trauma, is there a way to eliminate this risk with a diy tree-saddle?

So i am 16 years old and i am on a pretty tight budget. I was wondering if it is possible (and safe) to turn a full body harness into a tree saddle. I have already installed a loop of 1'' webbing through my linemen's belt loops so that i can use that as my attachment point while one sticking. I have been using a cheap hang on stand that weighs about 20 pounds, and obviuosly can not really justify the price of a nice one. so i am thinking that a diy saddle might be a cheaper option. Is this even possible? I know full-body harnesses can cause suspension trauma, is there a way to eliminate this risk with a diy tree-saddle?
On a budget try a DIY fleece saddle or look up Wraptor and try one of those they are awesome! With the fleece you would still need the safety harness!

the Sitdrag is the go-to for the harness saddle combo

On a budget try a DIY fleece saddle or look up Wraptor and try one of those they are awesome! With the fleece you would still need the safety harness!
Could I use my full-body harness instead of a rock harness? I assume most of the weight goes on the saddle unless the saddle fails? I guess I am trying to make sure that I am not putting mysef at risk for suspension trauma by putting weight on the harness.

correct, rock climbing harness or full body harness, doesnt much matter.
you use the sitdrag/fleece as the "saddle" and the harness is a backup (the sitdrag is not intended to be used at any heights). I also used the lineman loops on my harness for climbing because the sitdrag/fleece doesnt have "lineman loops" per say.

Last edited:
Could I use my full-body harness instead of a rock harness? I assume most of the weight goes on the saddle unless the saddle fails? I guess I am trying to make sure that I am not putting mysef at risk for suspension trauma by putting weight on the harness.
Yes you can use your harness because it is just in case the fleece fails so you should be fine! But one Jay said I would put lineman loops on the harness its not hard at all!! I used one just like this when I first started! Just be safe!

Honestly, save a up few dollars and get a used gym climbing harness off eBay and make a fleece saddle. I got my petzl pandion for $25 dollars and have been using it for 5 seasons. I did add lineman’s loops when I started using spurs. Before that I just used the tether to climb with sticks or one sticking.

Back