• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Full burry amsteel vs Oplux for tethers, LMB and Bridge

Rpd3d

I was watching @always89y two tether climbing videos where he used full burry amsteel to make system. What is the advantage of using amsteel here over Oplux?

1/4 amsteel weighs 1.6 lbs/100 ft, Oplux weighs 2.8 per/100 ft. With the full burry the amsteel weighs more than Oplux. You might need more feet of Oplux if you use knots there making weight about equal.

I would think that the Oplux would be more abrasion resistance.

If you haven’t seen alway89y YouTube channel you need to check it out!

The advantages that I could think of are:
1: Amsteel doesn’t absorb water, so if it is wet outside, The Oplux will hold water and therefore weigh more than the Amsteel.
2: splices are a little cleaner/less bulky.

Are those worth it? Probably not to most folks.

Thanks for the plug!
1st and formost, OPLUX is a HUGE advantage over amsteel regarding safety.

Now you get into acceptable risk and personal judgement...thats covered at length elsewhere.

Regarding weight, 3/16 amsteel, full buried is tough enough FOR ME, and close to half the weight.

Amsteel is not water absorbent

Amsteel is actually quite abrasion resistant. I would argue even more so than the OPLUX sheath.

Lastly, bulk

OPLUX is the better choice according to available safety data.
5a7062e02b4e182656e3d5f22bea5dee.jpg
42828f16b53d2049d0e52f0ac2d40128.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The OPLUX and amsteel in the pics are the same length with same length prussik loops. 2 on each.

Thanks for the plug!
1st and formost, OPLUX is a HUGE advantage over amsteel regarding safety.

Now you get into acceptable risk and personal judgement...thats covered at length elsewhere.

Regarding weight, 3/16 amsteel, full buried is tough enough FOR ME, and close to half the weight.

Amsteel is not water absorbent

Amsteel is actually quite abrasion resistant. I would argue even more so than the OPLUX sheath.

Lastly, bulk

OPLUX is the better choice according to available safety data.
5a7062e02b4e182656e3d5f22bea5dee.jpg
42828f16b53d2049d0e52f0ac2d40128.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t think about the other reason stated on comparing to two. I was just thinking weight.

I was comparing it 1/4 inch. 3-16 is 1 lb per 100ft so it would be lighter.

Back