• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear Pull Up Rope tricks?

Warthog HJ

Who has some good tricks for keeping your pull up rope from being a tangled mess in your pack or a gear bag? I'm not sure I want to go the Doyle's route, but I suppose it's a strong choice eventually. I'm new to the saddle hunting system and need to learn some tricks for organizing all of the ropes.

Try to stay away from really small rope seems to tangle easier.
But With larger rope comes bulk so not sure that helps.
This year I plan to use a bow sling and take the bow up as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't used a pullup rope in 20yrs ...(works for some though) I find it way easier to carry bow on my back pack whether its my tenzing 2220 or my little camelback. I walk in with my bow in my hand during a day/evening hunt with my sticks or LW handclimber on my back. Get to the tree,Climbing method comes off and bow goes on my back. Walking in the dark to a morning spot,everything is on my back....So simple,quiet and fast....Give it a try.

I use a larger diameter rope and haven't had any issues with it as long as I store it the way that I know that I need to. Gone are the days of hooking heavy equipment to a small diameter pull rope after spending 30 minutes trying to get the knots out.

i used a 25 ft dog tie out cable it works absolutely flawless. i wrap it around my tether pouch, hook the loose end to the back pack or bow and start climbing it usually unwraps itself sometimes I have to unwind it.
This year I climbed with everything and didn't use a pull rope one trip up all things attached to me.

I have never tried that figure 8 thumb to finger wrap but I definitely will now that looks like the way to go

I bought a $4 clothsline in camping dept at wal mart. Caribeanered to my pack as I climb it unreels. Just reel it back up. Never tangles and weighs nothing. I replaced the line W/masons line. It is flawless. Works like a Doyles but lt. wt. Wish I could post a pic.

I used to use para cord that I left on the tree stand. Now from the saddle, it only took a couple times messing with the parachord to realize I wanted something to organize my put up rope. I bought a windup type deal that I didn't care for because it would tangle around branches and stuff. Now I use an auto retracting Doyles hoist and love it. It's home is on my saddle in the center of my back, I don't even have to think about it, nice and neat.

My grandmother used to fish with a hand line. After she unwound the amount of line that she needed, she would always start at the reel end on the line, and keep laying the line onto itself until she got to the hook end. When she threw the line out, she wouldn't get any tangles, because the line would always be feeding from the top of the pile.
Before I climb a tree, I always do the dane move. Tie one end to my bow, then lady the line onto itself until I get to the other end. I tie that end to me or my gear. No tangles.
This may sound complicated, but it is really simple. I use the figure 8 method to store the rope.

1/2" tubular nylon faked into external pouch on back pack or lone wolf. Has no memory so it never tangles. But all these techniques work. Might try a Doyle's with my saddle.

I bought a $4 clothsline in camping dept at wal mart. Caribeanered to my pack as I climb it unreels. Just reel it back up. Never tangles and weighs nothing. I replaced the line W/masons line. It is flawless. Works like a Doyles but lt. wt. Wish I could post a pic.

Get it figured out man! I want to see it.

I have been a figure eight guy with paracord but I dread wrapping it back up.

I might have to give mule tape a try. I have a ton but I hate the color.

Figure 8 method for sure. I use some really tiny accessory chord that’s even smaller than paracord and it’s a piece of cake to wind and unwind, even in the dark.

Back