• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gear Strap

Jbeeler20

I bought a saddle and platform late this season and managed to get two hunts in before the season ended and despite numerous upgrades needed I think I am hooked. First up on my list would be a gear strap. Leaning towards Latitude gear strap or Tethrd Hys. Anyone got experience with either or both?

I have a Tethrd HYS with S-biners and a heroclip for my bow. It works well and feels the most secure but is a little bulky. there are less bulky options like amsteel daisy chains. I also use this sometimes and it works fine:

I bought a Night Ize CamJam ( the smallest aluminum one) and ran a piece of camo paracord through it, longer than the girth of any tree I might saddle up to. Tied stopper knots at each end to keep it from pulling through. Then I attached about 8 prusiks of gutted paracord in safety orange, spaced out along the length of the camo cord. It bundles up into a tiny pocket on my belt. When it's time to deploy, I just clip to one of the prusiks and tighten the CamJam. I can hang my pack, Thermacell, bow, and deer call on the other prusik loops. Obviously the colors don't matter, I just like the camo with orange to make the loops easy to find in the dark. The whole rig cost a couple of bucks, packs super well, and hangs all my gear with no problem.

I use this ^^^^^ too but I use the plastic one and it’s the best method I have tried

I bought a Night Ize CamJam ( the smallest aluminum one) and ran a piece of camo paracord through it, longer than the girth of any tree I might saddle up to. Tied stopper knots at each end to keep it from pulling through. Then I attached about 8 prusiks of gutted paracord in safety orange, spaced out along the length of the camo cord. It bundles up into a tiny pocket on my belt. When it's time to deploy, I just clip to one of the prusiks and tighten the CamJam. I can hang my pack, Thermacell, bow, and deer call on the other prusik loops. Obviously the colors don't matter, I just like the camo with orange to make the loops easy to find in the dark. The whole rig cost a couple of bucks, packs super well, and hangs all my gear with no problem.
Why gutted paracord? And do you have keychain carabiners on all your gear to clip them into the orange prusiks? Just curious.

Thanks for all of the input. I ordered the $10 hammock strap but I am love the idea of using paracord for weight and packability. The one thing I thi k I will want for sure is to be able to hang my pack on the tag end of whatever I use so I can keep the pack down out of the way most of the time. Have u tried this with the paracord and prusik?

that's the main reason I haven't given up the HYS strap. I hang my pack from the tag end and I feel like the paracord would either stretch too much or the pack would pull the cord out of the CamJam

My favorite strap has been Amsteel Daisy chain with the small aluminum camjam, s biners and genesis 3D foldable bow hanger.

Why gutted paracord? And do you have keychain carabiners on all your gear to clip them into the orange prusiks? Just curious.
The gutted cord takes up less space, especially the knots. And it's more than strong enough for anything I'm gonna hang. I do have a keychain 'biner for the thermacell, a sturdier one for my pack, a Night-Ize s-hook with one wire gate removed for my bow (though a Hero hook would work), and my deer call has a natural hook shape to it and hangs naturally.

The one thing I thi k I will want for sure is to be able to hang my pack on the tag end of whatever I use so I can keep the pack down out of the way most of the time. Have u tried this with the paracord and prusik?
I tried hanging my pack from the tag end, and it works. I just don't like having it around my feet. I keep it about elbow height for easy reach. but to each his or her own.

I bought a saddle and platform late this season and managed to get two hunts in before the season ended and despite numerous upgrades needed I think I am hooked. First up on my list would be a gear strap. Leaning towards Latitude gear strap or Tethrd Hys. Anyone got experience with either or both?

I have used two different gear straps. The Tethrd HYS and Hero clips is easily the best option I have tried. Very easy to use, and very adaptable to any situation.

50’ of dynaglide. Daisy chained roughly 7’ for gear/pack hanger. Multi purpose use for a pull up rope and rappel rope retrieval line. Hook is a medium cable clamp. It secures around the tree with a plastic cam jam and utility rope I had laying around. I took a few different ideas from other members and combined them.
34487e8c2ffc402559db4361824e5acc.jpg

923ac9a21ec76f56c3a2de021c47d800.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a tethrd hys strap and it works well. I prefer an Amsteel daisy chain. It can be used for multiple purposes, packs light and small.
I use an amsteel daisy chain. I girth hitch it to the tree and hang my pack from the free end. When I do that it makes the loops very tight to get my clips in. How do you use it? Does it work any better for you?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I use an amsteel daisy chain. I girth hitch it to the tree and hang my pack from the free end. When I do that it makes the loops very tight to get my clips in. How do you use it? Does it work any better for you?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I know what you are talking about. I put my hooks in before attaching the pack. I keep the amsteel daisy chain and clips in a drop pouch or pants pocket depending on my setup. That way I don’t have to access the bag before having a way to hang it.

7DC96687-2A98-47D9-BF23-B128FE932AE5.jpeg36876B38-7E0C-4D46-BB8D-EB1F9ADA4B2B.jpeg
I personally like a strap around the tree with a quick attachment method, then a medium plastic s biner for my bow and a hero clip for my backpack

Paracord with prusiks for the win. Can even put a monkeys fist on a Blake’s on the end of the paracord, put the fist thru one of the prusiks, pull tight and it can’t get any lighter or more compact. Kydex hook on bow, d loop material for prusik stays wide open for kydex to slip in and out. Bag stays put on prusik on tag end at any height u want.

Back