• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Get me on some sticks!

SkylineReaper

Ok guys I am considering buying a set of sticks to try next year to use as opposed to my WE steps up to this point I have been 100% WE step pro choice but the more I read about people using sticks I just wonder if I am missing out as I have never used sticks or should I just stay with my WE steps give it to me straight you won't hurt my feelings lol.

I would say it depends on how you hunt, what you’re looking for in a climbing method, and how high you like to climb. Sticks are simple to set up and climb with, but tend to be heavier and bulkier for transport. You might gain a good amount of weight going to sticks, especially if you’re using an aider with your WE stepps. I have Lone Wolf sticks now and they work, but I’m looking to switch to WE stepps with an aider soon. Really don’t like carrying the bulk of sticks if I’m trying to slim down my setup with a saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can climb higher lighter with stepps. I’m probably a little faster with sticks. It’s hard to beat the compact carrying of stepps. I use both. If it’s cold and raining I usually use sticks. If I’m going in blind to a spot I picked on a map it’s almost always stepps. If I’m scouting until I find a place to hunt it’s stepps.

I've never used sticks, only my Primal steps, but I sure can't see what the benefit of sticks would be in comparison to the lightweight, compact size of the step. Throw in a knaider and a swaider and you're really getting some height out of that size.

I agree with Eric, too. Being able to throw them in my backpack and scout in without getting hung up on everything walking through the woods was awesome this year.

In my opinion WE is better if your carrying multiples but one sticking isn't easy with a WE and that's where the stick advantage comes in

I was 100% WE w/KnSw during October archery and loved the low weight & packability. Concerned about tree damage though.

Had a kickout on a wet tree using bigger boots during gun season that spooked me a bit. Been working on making sub-two pound sticks since then. Only was able to do a couple hunts with them before the season shut down but I liked the ease of use. I wasn't carrying them deep so bulk was not a big issue.

I also like using the hand climber system.

I think in the end I will continue to use multiple systems based on circumstances, but I suspect sticks, if/when they get down closer to 1.5 lbs will be the default.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have both and the Wildedge steps are are easy to carry and using a swaider&knaider you can carry less steps and climb about 20 feet with 5 steps. My lonewolf sticks are a bit bulky and with 4 sticks I can climb 20 feet and they are a bit faster at putting up. I also have Hawk helium sticks they have a double step witch is nice but only have 3 of them need one more . The steps and sticks both have their place some like one or the other I like both.

I just ordered the wild edge steps so I'm waiting for those. I have muddy aero lite pros, my buddy has the hawk helium's. I've used both. Here is what I've encountered now. So both have buckle straps and both sets of straps weight almost as much as the sticks not quiet but they do weigh a bit and you have to store them. Going up the tree they are clunky to say the least, now once you set them climbing is not a problem. figuring out where the next step goes, takes a bit of practice.
So now I'm going to get some amsteel for those , or if anyone knows what the rope wild edge uses please let me know! Im going to make whoopie slings for those sticks. I will most likely just set them up in a permanent spot or move them as need be but leave them like a climbing stick. You also have to connect these to your bag, and hook them back together which is kind of a pain and can get noisy!
My hope is that the wild edge steps pack up much easier. ( I've watched the videos) but till you have them in your hands and practice this stuff you never really know if your going to like them.
My biggest complaint with sticks is noise, when taking them apart. get rid of the buckles as well , just my opinion. Some guys like the buckles. I just find them clunky. They have gotten me closer to deer, I'm sure if I had the system down a bit more they will work fine. With the sticks im getting 20 feet. Three sticks plus the buckles is around 15 lbs. It has condensed my carry in situation down. It is just not totally where I want to get it yet. With the wild edge being 8 to 12 ponds and in a bag I can carry or attach I think I will be able to travel easier. Have any of you tried grip tape on top of the wild edge steps ?

After some significant modifications and many man hours, Helium’s are the best sticks I’ve used.

I’ve used Lone Wolf full length and shortys with and without the rope mod, XOPs, and Muddy Pros.

Lone Wolf- really light. Proven name. Single step isn’t for everyone.

XOP- heavier than LW. Single step isn’t for everyone but it’s a little bigger than LW. My favorite feature out of all of those sticks was the way the XOPs attaches to each other by rotating the middle step.

Muddy Pro- short stick for the price of full length. A bit heavy but built like a tank. Already comes with the rope. Double step is a plus. Definitely need aiders if you don’t wanna carry 6 sticks.

Hawk Helium- really light. Double steps are a plus. The stock strap/attaching method on these sticks are the worst I’ve seen. Definitely needs the versa button rope mod.

I think the best stick out of the box for a compact setup is the Muddy Pro if you don’t mind the cost and weight. All you need to do is add aiders and you are ready to hunt.

Oddly enough I’m about to put down the sticks for the WE steps and a knaider and swaider lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still up in the air. I have Muddy, Gorilla, and Lone Wolf sticks. I bought Jim's Stepps years ago and didn't care for them so got I rid of them. Recently I bought WE Stepps again.
What I like about the sticks is they are easy to set up and they are big ( I like them full length) so you have a stable platform as you are climbing. I've tried them with a five step aider and can get about nine feet per stick. If you have a kick out there's a lot to grab to help you out.
What I like about the WE Stepps are they are small lite and easy to carry.
What I don't like is they have a learning curve on how to use them, and they are small.

I think right now my favorite is the LW sticks with the five step aider. I carry them on the sides of my pack, two on each side. I don't think they are bad carrying. They get me nice and high.

I used the WE steps and really wanted to like them but they aren’t for me. Went back to my LW sticks with a single movable aided. I get 20-25 ft with 3 sticks. Added the DanO double step on top of the 3 sticks and been really happy. I carry my stick with the webbing aider as a sling. I can maneuver through the brush really well and quietly this way. Climbing methods are like saddles and bows and everything else we use. There is a ton of personal preference in it. Good luck.

Last edited:
I really like my spurs but if I cant get over the learning curve, I regrettably may go back to my LW sticks with the rope mod. But I'm going to give them more than a enough time. I really like the mobility and quickness of the climb using spurs so I will give them more than enough time to learn the technique

I'm still up in the air. I have Muddy, Gorilla, and Lone Wolf sticks. I bought Jim's Stepps years ago and didn't care for them so got I rid of them. Recently I bought WE Stepps again.
What I like about the sticks is they are easy to set up and they are big ( I like them full length) so you have a stable platform as you are climbing. I've tried them with a five step aider and can get about nine feet per stick. If you have a kick out there's a lot to grab to help you out.
What I like about the WE Stepps are they are small lite and easy to carry.
What I don't like is they have a learning curve on how to use them, and they are small.

I think right now my favorite is the LW sticks with the five step aider. I carry them on the sides of my pack, two on each side. I don't think they are bad carrying. They get me nice and high.
How do you use your aider? Do you attach it to the sticks. I was think you would use it in between 2 sticks ....

I have 32" sticks with three steps. I put the 5 step aider on the second step of the stick when I get on the first step of the stick I take the aider off, climb to the top step of the stick, put the next stick as high as I can, put the aider on and so on.

Another option is 1 inch webbing, water knot at top and put it over the top step so it’s long enough to reach all the way down for a step under the bottom step. You can then slide the aider behind you steps and it doesn’t shift when you put your foot in it. When I get home from work I’ll try to take a pick.

Once you step off the second step you grasp the aider and put it over your head like a necklace to position next stick and toss aider over stick. It’s rock solid easy to move and is long enough to double as a sling for your sticks.

I just ordered the wild edge steps so I'm waiting for those. I have muddy aero lite pros, my buddy has the hawk helium's. I've used both. Here is what I've encountered now. So both have buckle straps and both sets of straps weight almost as much as the sticks not quiet but they do weigh a bit and you have to store them. Going up the tree they are clunky to say the least, now once you set them climbing is not a problem. figuring out where the next step goes, takes a bit of practice.
So now I'm going to get some amsteel for those , or if anyone knows what the rope wild edge uses please let me know! Im going to make whoopie slings for those sticks. I will most likely just set them up in a permanent spot or move them as need be but leave them like a climbing stick. You also have to connect these to your bag, and hook them back together which is kind of a pain and can get noisy!
My hope is that the wild edge steps pack up much easier. ( I've watched the videos) but till you have them in your hands and practice this stuff you never really know if your going to like them.
My biggest complaint with sticks is noise, when taking them apart. get rid of the buckles as well , just my opinion. Some guys like the buckles. I just find them clunky. They have gotten me closer to deer, I'm sure if I had the system down a bit more they will work fine. With the sticks im getting 20 feet. Three sticks plus the buckles is around 15 lbs. It has condensed my carry in situation down. It is just not totally where I want to get it yet. With the wild edge being 8 to 12 ponds and in a bag I can carry or attach I think I will be able to travel easier. Have any of you tried grip tape on top of the wild edge steps ?

Several people have used camp form tape or vet tape. I nodded some by filling them with spray foam and that worked really well.

Several people have used camp form tape or vet tape. I nodded some by filling them with spray foam and that worked really well.
What is nodded? Why would you fill them with spray foam, I was asking about grip tape because if slipping

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Modded... the spray foam eliminates the metal on metal noise if you happen to bump them together when pulling them out the bag while climbing.

Back