• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting the mrs into archery!

gcr0003

SH Member
I recently bought a sage bow from @longbowwoman and traded down to 35 limbs with @Red Beard for the Mrs. She seemed unenthusiastic, so I told her let me know if/when she had interest. My wife finally asked if I would show her how to get started this week. I was pumped. She picked up the pointers well and was shooting pretty well for her first time. She had arrows on the bag all the way back to 10 yards without missing for fun but we started out at like 2 paces back and had her stay at 5 for most of it, You’ll see in the second video she had a nice little group. She has an anchor point chosen for now and I’m not giving her too much more to think about and work on at this time. We will slowly add stuff in, I’m glad she’s enjoying it as much as I thought she would and I look forward to us shooting together in the near future. She had me cracking up yesterday mimicking me like when I get home from work saying, “yea I’m just gonna go out back and shoot my bow for a little bit!” Lol

I recently bought a sage bow from @longbowwoman and traded down to 35 limbs with @Red Beard for the Mrs. She seemed unenthusiastic, so I told her let me know if/when she had interest. My wife finally asked if I would show her how to get started this week. I was pumped. She picked up the pointers well and was shooting pretty well for her first time. She had arrows on the bag all the way back to 10 yards without missing for fun but we started out at like 2 paces back and had her stay at 5 for most of it, You’ll see in the second video she had a nice little group. She has an anchor point chosen for now and I’m not giving her too much more to think about and work on at this time. We will slowly add stuff in, I’m glad she’s enjoying it as much as I thought she would and I look forward to us shooting together in the near future. She had me cracking up yesterday mimicking me like when I get home from work saying, “yea I’m just gonna go out back and shoot my bow for a little bit!” Lol

That is awesome. Good luck and good hunting.

Last edited:
That’s awesome man!! Only bit of advice I would give is to have her anchor and pause for couple seconds to avoid snap shooting cause that can lead to bad habits at longer distances. Other than that good teaching and btw women are better than us guys in shooting sports in the long run

I have no advice on archery specific material.

What I can offer, is don’t tell your Mrs. that she doesn’t have to pose for Instagram with her form/posture….and do so in exaggerated fashion.

A- she’ll film it unbeknownst to you.
B- it will not make her shoot any better
C- you’ll be forced to leak shots like this before she does to save face.

23EA7FD6-CEDC-463D-B3EC-0DCD3BDA4427.jpeg

My uncle gave me 30 lb browning recurve I believe. It would have been another good starter bow for the Mrs… would have been! Let me explain.

The Mrs is shooting great groups out to about 7 yards but she says she not really aiming. I know she’s basically instinctively shooting but she’ll need to develop some reference to the bow or she won’t actually be able to aim as we back up. I tried to explain site picture and that when you’re closer to the target your point of aim will be higher. I also explained as you go back you point of aim will approach level around 20 yards or so depending on where your anchor point is. She’s trying but I don’t think she’s understanding what I’m saying. I was working with her to notice her aim point with respect to her site picture or riser. She’s having some difficulty with it. Anyone have an idea of how to explain or train this?

I’m top of that, when discussing this she said she kept having the urge to close her eye. Her right eye! Lol! I told her that was the wrong eye to close for a right handed shooter but regardless she needed to keep both eyes open. We proceeded to do a dominant eye test. Turns out she’s left eye dominant, right hand dominant like me. Im debating on getting her a lefty bow or teaching through the eye dominance. I learned left hand shooting on a compound when I started archery despite being right handed but I pick up stuff pretty fast and spent hours shooting. The whole process was awkward for a while and I’m not sure if she’ll want to fool with building up her left arm strength and the weird feeling.

Thoughts?

My advice is ask her. :)

If she wants to develop her shooting over time get her set up with a left handed bow now since she just started and the switch will be easier. If she just wants to fling a few arrows this summer and she’s not sure she will keep at it, let her have fun with what she has.

as far as the instinctive shooting goes don’t over complicate it for her. She doesn’t have to consciously develop any reference to aim as she backs up. Her brain will do it for her. If she wants to explore gap shooting later on she always can.

If she wants to develop her shooting over time get her set up with a left handed bow now since she just started and the switch will be easier. If she just wants to fling a few arrows this summer and she’s not sure she will keep at it, let her have fun with what she has.

as far as the instinctive shooting goes don’t over complicate it for her. She doesn’t have to consciously develop any reference to aim as she backs up. Her brain will do it for her. If she wants to explore gap shooting later on she always can.
She’s unsure, so I’m not sure what will do. I could always get a left handed sammick riser and see if she says she really wants to learn and get good. She has really enjoyed shooting so I’m hoping it’s something she continues to do but time will tell if she’s sticks with it or just piddles with it. I let her tell me when she wants to shoot because I only want her to do it if she wants to.

We tried some aiming but she wasn’t really getting it so we went back to her just slinging arrows. I don’t know how she is aiming but her anchor is rock solid because she’s stacking 6 arrows together constantly. I’m usually a horrible teacher but I’ve been laid back and let her take it at her own speed so it has stayed enjoyable! I got her off the shooting bag and onto the 3D target, and she enjoys shooting that much more.

I’ll ask her again and see what she thinks.

What GC said. I'm a lefty but right eye. I was shooting right handed for years with compound. Several years years ago my right shoulder said No More! So I switched to lefthanded compound. And for trad I went left. Both eyes open didn't bother me shooting trad. With compound I learned to aim with my left eye. Enough rambling.

Ask her

You can always teach her to use the tip of arrow as a reference point or have her sight down the shaft at full draw with her anchor point at say 10 yards at a 3” orange dot and see where she hits then do the same thing at 15 yards and see where it hits that way it starts training her brain in how to process it after awhile she won’t be using the tip or shaft but focusing on what she wants to hit instinctively. This is how I taught many many people how to shoot and most definitely go with the dominant eye it will be better in the long run ain’t nothing wrong being a lefty
I like shooting my lefty and righty bows that way I train both sides of my brain :grin:

At first she said no don’t worry about it but that’s just because she didn’t want me buying another bow for her. When I told her I could just sell the riser and get a left handed one to work with the Sage limbs she changed her tune.

She said, “well maybe just get one of those left handed risers but don’t get rid of the right handed one yet. If I stink at the left handed on I can go back to the right.” lol

I told her it might be a little cumbersome starting out left handed as her arm/back builds up strength but it would help her shooting as she progresses. I might look for another inexpensive left handed riser.

You can always grab a 100$ black hunter recurve from Amazon comes complete and won’t hurt the bank. I wish I had another riser I could give you or you can find a old compound riser and warf it with the sage limbs

You can always grab a 100$ black hunter recurve from Amazon comes complete and won’t hurt the bank. I wish I had another riser I could give you or you can find a old compound riser and warf it with the sage limbs
Well I already have a sage so I’ll probably just try and find another sage riser that will work with the limbs I already have.

At first she said no don’t worry about it but that’s just because she didn’t want me buying another bow for her. When I told her I could just sell the riser and get a left handed one to work with the Sage limbs she changed her tune.

She said, “well maybe just get one of those left handed risers but don’t get rid of the right handed one yet. If I stink at the left handed on I can go back to the right.” lol

I told her it might be a little cumbersome starting out left handed as her arm/back builds up strength but it would help her shooting as she progresses. I might look for another inexpensive left handed riser.

PUSH UPS DRILL SGT!!! one one thousand, two one thousand...!!

Back