• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Getting your gear up the tree

OklahomaDeerAddict

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I’m new to saddle hunting this year. I’m anxiously waiting for my Mantis but @nlrwrangler has been kind enough to loan me his kestrel to practice with and set trees (or should I say his sons’ kestrel).

My question is this: How do you prefer to get your bow/gun/gear up into the tree with you?

So far I have pulled it up, strapped it to a pack and slung it while practicing in the backyard. I tend to like the pack method most but was wanting some input. Or maybe I just want you guys to talk me into or out of a new backpack! What do you do/prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good question, one of the final things I have refined. For now I've kinda settled on my bow strapped to my pack and platform on a pull-up rope.

In a hang on it's reversed because I have the backpack straps. Without wanting to put those on my saddle platform I haven't settled on a good way to transport it up quietly. The way it straps to my pack just is not easy/silent access 20 feet up a tree hanging from a linemans.

Good question, one of the final things I have refined. For now I've kinda settled on my bow strapped to my pack and platform on a pull-up rope.

In a hang on it's reversed because I have the backpack straps. Without wanting to put those on my saddle platform I haven't settled on a good way to transport it up quietly. The way it straps to my pack just is not easy/silent access 20 feet up a tree hanging from a linemans.

What climbing method do you use? I’m using lone wolf sticks right now, and I’m trying to figure out how to get everything up/down in one trip (mainly the sticks). Tried hauling up my bow while I have sticks strapped to my backpack with my predator platform attached, but it’s cumbersome.

Thoughts?

Try hanging your sticks off the saddle. Ill set my first one get up set #2 and 3 and sometimes 4 are attached to my saddle by a loop on a biner. Platform stays in my pack. I'm still a bit awkward setting the platform and getting past it. But it works. Bag has a "stuff pocket" on it that holds the platform.

What climbing method do you use? I’m using lone wolf sticks right now, and I’m trying to figure out how to get everything up/down in one trip (mainly the sticks). Tried hauling up my bow while I have sticks strapped to my backpack with my predator platform attached, but it’s cumbersome.

Thoughts?

Helium sticks. The sticks hang from paracord loops on my saddle.

Helium sticks. The sticks hang from paracord loops on my saddle.
X2 - I picked up some molle j hooks and a simple loop of paracord on the end of the stick hangs off these hooks on either side of my saddle. Very easy to pull off and no fumbling with carabiners. Just checked and they're not available right now, but could probably source them elsewhere:
Amazon link

Welcome to the forum! I climb with everything on and in my pack exclusively so far this year (steps with k/s). Last year I climbed with my pack and pulled up my bow (single stick method). However, last time I went up I thought to myself mid climb “maybe this would be easier if I just left everything but my climbing stuff on the ground?”. So I’m gonna hook up a pull rope next time out and see. It tends to be an ongoing internal debate based on speed, noise and convenience.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I never thought of hanging sticks off my harness, but I like it.

So far all my presets are bolted, so I won’t use my helium’s very often, mostly just when I want to try a new area. When I do I plan to carry them in on a pack. Since all my hunting is currently within a mile of the truck and usually much closer, I think I need a good daypack. My Eberlestock blue widow is awesome but it weighs almost 8 pounds! I don’t plan to pack meat out since I can usually get a truck within dragging distance.

I’m eyeing the Badlands Superday. Weighs half what my other pack weighs, has straps for a gun/bow or sticks, pistol holsters (for a .22 to silence the squirrels), lots of organizable storage (for a pull rope), lifetime warranty, and I have Cabela’s points.

I'm a one tripper. Despise having to go up and down for gear.

I use paracord (about 10" long) that is attached to my RC harness/saddle. Paracord has loop on end. I take that loop through a hole on step and then slip over the point of step. This allows steps on both hips to hang and easily removed with no worries of noise.

Pack and bow are strategically placed at base of tree. Up the tree I go with platform or stand on my back. Once up and set I remove trusty homemade grapple hook. Grapple is attached to paracord and I proceed to fish everything up one at a time. Quick, easy, lightweight, and deadly quiet. Plus if I ever drop anything I can retrieve (most) without climbing down.

I did cut and wrap small pieces of reflective tape around grapple hook and loop on pack. Works great during darkness while using red head lamp.

Kind of fun and entertaining also.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm a one tripper. Despise having to go up and down for gear.

I use paracord (about 10" long) that is attached to my RC harness/saddle. Paracord has loop on end. I take that loop through a hole on step and then slip over the point of step. This allows steps on both hips to hang and easily removed with no worries of noise.

Pack and bow are strategically placed at base of tree. Up the tree I go with platform or stand on my back. Once up and set I remove trusty homemade grapple hook. Grapple is attached to paracord and I proceed to fish everything up one at a time. Quick, easy, lightweight, and deadly quiet. Plus if I ever drop anything I can retrieve (most) without climbing down.

I did cut and wrap small pieces of reflective tape around grapple hook and loop on pack. Works great during darkness while using red head lamp.

Kind of fun and entertaining also.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Now that’s a new one for me! I could see myself smiling in the tree while fishing for my gear. Or getting bored and finding a way to harass squirrels with a grappling hook!

For getting the bow up in the tree, I now use a Doyle's gear hoist. Prior to that, I was using a carabiner that was attached to the back of my suspenders or backpack (depended on where I was hunting) and carried it up as I climbed. If I have more gear to haul up I have a small grappling hook that I use to fish stuff up.

I use lw sticks most of the time, I have a cross body small tenzing pack. I wear that & set the first 2 sticks from the ground & use a wind up pull up strap for my bow. Other 2 sticks attached to saddle w/ nitize gear ties on bridge loops..... one trip works great.

I just wear my backpack, and tie a piece of p-cord to my bow and backpack. When I get up, I pull up the bow. Am I crazy? Seems pretty simple to me, dont need to complicate it too much IMHO.

Agreed. Pretty tough to beat the simplicity, weight, and compactness of paracord. I have a Doyle's hoist but seldom use it. Many of us spend time and money trying to lighten our gear, so I'd rather not carry an extra 12 oz around just to keep my paracord tow rope neat. Seems like an easy choice to me.

Back