• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gloves and Liners

ricky racer

Everyone has a preference for gloves. I am no different. Decades of trying everything under the sun to keep my hands warm while maintaining dexterity and comfort has lead me to what I use today. Actually, I've been wearing my choice in gloves for more than 10 years. I thought I'd share my choice of hand wear with all of you.

My choice is nothing special nor high tech but has proven itself a top choice in my book. The gloves are just unlined deerskin gloves. When it gets colder out, I add liners and when it gets real cold I add a muff to slip my gloved hands into.

The gloves can be purchased at a variety of places. I usually pick mine up at a TSC, Rural King or Menards stores. The things I like about the deerskin gloves are first, comfort, good gripping ability and they conform to my hands so they "fit like a glove". Another thing I like about deerskin gloves is if they get wet, and you know they will, once dry they don't get hard like cowhide gloves do. They stiffen up a little bit but as soon as you put them back on they soften right back up.

As far as liners go, I've had good luck with silk glove liners but what I've been using lately are made by Seirus. They are a high tech liner that are very thin but add quite a bit of cold weather comfort. They have a reflective lining to help retain warmth. When slipping the liners inside you deerskin gloves they will feel snug for a few minutes but the gloves will quickly adjust to the liners and again will "fit like a glove".

I shoot with fingers and the deerskin gloves work great and I don't need a tab or any other shooting glove. I've always hated bulky gloves and these deerskin gloves, both with and without liners are anything but bulky.

Glove Liners (Medium).jpg

Glove Liners 1 (Medium).jpg

Great system. I literally just got new gloves today. Also, in the trad archery world kangaroo leather is very popular as a shooting glove material.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I like this post. I wear wool convertibles because I shoot with a tab and string walk my recurve. I have to see my bare fingers to know where to grab the string for what yardage I'm shooting. It works ok. I have cut the fingers off some nice gloves because of my needs...

We got some of those seirus gloves to test at work. They work well. I like the outdoor reasearch liners/contact glove a bit more. Hard to beat the tried and true army polypro/wool glove liners. Cheap and effective

I have been liking GloMitts that I flip open to shoot but I'll try it. My fingers get cold fast and I tend to my bow in my hand most of the time. I have been looking at lightly insulated work gloves lately. I got some nice Mountain Hardwear gloves and they aren't durable enough to shoot with a tab.

Back