• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gloves

THill202

In the short time that I've been here this site has helped me spend a lot of money. The one thing on my list I haven't been able to gather many opinons on is gloves. I would have assumed there's an official glove thread but I haven't found it yet. The ideal archery glove would be a midweight, water/wind resistent glove with at least one folding finger. I typically use the UA early season fleece gloves for all conditions, but they really shine in the 40-60 range. If it gets much colder or if they get any sort of wet they will freeze your hands. If it's cold my hands will usually be in a pocket and handwarmers can be applied if needed, so I'm 100% for loosing insulation in the name of dexterity. I'll probably add a muff to my kit at some point. Essentially I think the perfect cold weather archery glove needs to provide short duration of warmth/protection from the elements without accelerating the cold during adverse conditions and while mainting dexterity and ability to throw in a lip. I don't know if the perfect glove is out there but if it is I'm sure somebody here knows about it. I've been looking at some cold weather/ice fishing gloves but reviews are scant to questionable. What kind of gloves are you all wearing when the temp gets down around to below freezing?

Following, my gloves are either made for the arctic or the summer, not so much the in between.

Living in Minnesota we have to deal with sub 0 temps at times in late archery season in December. What works for me is a pair of mechanix gloves (or similar mechanic style gloves) and a hand muff. The thinner profile and maintained dexterity of the mechanic style gloves allows me to still do what needs to be done, like manipulating a range finder or grabbing my grunt call, light a cancer stick, or even shooting my bow. They also allow me to leave them on inside the muff. the muff you can toss in a single or both of the hand warmers right in there, and rub them in your hands to warm them up if need be.

On days closer to freezing or even up into the 20s the muff itself can be sufficent, and since my hands stay in there unless needed, they stay pretty warm. some days just a single hand warmer is needed. I dont have a pair of gloves for hunting that i have personally found that allows me the flexibility and warmth of just a regular old hand muff

I finally found a glove mitten this year that is great. The Sitka incinerator glove. It has fingers inside the mittens. You can feel the release or a trigger no problem. I wear just a thin kuiu glove in. Then once I get setup I can just slip the Sitka over the thin kuiu glove. It’s kinda beat of both worlds. I sat down to 0 this year without getting cold fingers.

I do have a mid-weight pair I can use if it’s late fall/early winter. Also got a new muff that attaches to the saddle to try this year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Growing up we wore lite gloves inside of mittens. Right now my favorite glove liners are First lite aerowool or talus gloves, and I shove those inside either a hand muff or Air Force Flyers Mittens. For solo usage inside a muff I use First Lite Guide Lite Touch. They block wind a bit better and are durable enough for me to one stick and rappel. They’re designed for extreme weather with wool liner inside of leather mitt that is backed with beaver fur. Used to wear those snowmobiling in Alaska and my hands would sweat.

Growing up we wore lite gloves inside of mittens. Right now my favorite glove liners are First lite aerowool or talus gloves, and I shove those inside either a hand muff or Air Force Flyers Mittens. For solo usage inside a muff I use First Lite Guide Lite Touch. They block wind a bit better and are durable enough for me to one stick and rappel. They’re designed for extreme weather with wool liner inside of leather mitt that is backed with beaver fur. Used to wear those snowmobiling in Alaska and my hands would sweat.
Seems more movement with the flyer"s gloves, I've used both hunting. The glove kinda flops around when slipping your hand out, muff is less so.
However, the flyers mitts are the greatest snot wiping, ice fishing, warmest, chopper mittens ever made. In the muff I use surplus wool glove liners & hand warmers if needed.

I've lived in northern Michigan and hunted in cold weather my whole life. My hunting glove of choice down to about 20Fhas always been just a pair of fingerless wool gloves combined with a muff or my pockets. Below 20F I use a pair of thin Mechanixs gloves with the fingerless wool over them. It's funny but in the last five years or so I've become a lot less bothered by cold fingers than I was in my younger years. I thought that was supposed to go the other way but for me it hasn't. I've actually reached a point where numb fingers are only a slight bother. Go figure.

First lite talus are my go-to gloves unless I am in the stickers then I got a pair of kryptek tora gloves that I really like. If it is really cold then I just wear a heavy glove over the talus and use a muff in stand.

I've lived in northern Michigan and hunted in cold weather my whole life. My hunting glove of choice down to about 20Fhas always been just a pair of fingerless wool gloves combined with a muff or my pockets. Below 20F I use a pair of thin Mechanixs gloves with the fingerless wool over them. It's funny but in the last five years or so I've become a lot less bothered by cold fingers than I was in my younger years. I thought that was supposed to go the other way but for me it hasn't. I've actually reached a point where numb fingers are only a slight bother. Go figure.
Screenshot_20220205-063847_Gallery.jpg

30° today with a 23 realfeel. $19.99 merino wool Instinct gloves from Cabelas. I can text, unzip my fly, pick my nose, etc.

I've lived and hunted in WNY my whole life in the snowbelt. I cannot add anything productive to @Jay_Disarray 's post at all. The only exception is that I use the GI wool glove liners and a hand muff and if its super, super cold I use the wool glove liners and the muff on my IWOM XT. I have found no other glove that keeps my hands warm enough for all day sits. Before I used a muff I used to buy some oversized leather mittens and wear my wool glove liners inside of them. I used a leather punch and put a hole in the cuff part of each mitten, ran a length of paracord long enough to go around my neck and let the mittens hang just below my hands at natural position and tied one end to one mitt, then put a small clip on the other and would run that cord up my sleeves, around my neck and that worked pretty slick too but I didn't like the mitts dangling and flopping in the deer stand if I took them off to shoot or whatever but it really kept my hands warm like a muff.

Living in Minnesota we have to deal with sub 0 temps at times in late archery season in December. What works for me is a pair of mechanix gloves (or similar mechanic style gloves) and a hand muff. The thinner profile and maintained dexterity of the mechanic style gloves allows me to still do what needs to be done, like manipulating a range finder or grabbing my grunt call, light a cancer stick, or even shooting my bow. They also allow me to leave them on inside the muff. the muff you can toss in a single or both of the hand warmers right in there, and rub them in your hands to warm them up if need be.

On days closer to freezing or even up into the 20s the muff itself can be sufficent, and since my hands stay in there unless needed, they stay pretty warm. some days just a single hand warmer is needed. I dont have a pair of gloves for hunting that i have personally found that allows me the flexibility and warmth of just a regular old hand muff
As a Minnesotan who just got a muff this year I couldn't agree more... I typically wear the FL talus gloves and then just a muff.... hunted down to 10 degrees this year.... worked better than any glove option id previously tried

A lady down the road from me has an alpaca farm and makes some sweet gloves, hats, socks, etc. I just wear the fingerless gloves and keep my hands in my pockets with some chemical hand warmers in there. Once it gets around 20° I pack in some big Carhartt mittens to wear on the walk out after my hands inevitably freeze from packing up cold metal sticks and platform.

I use a couple different pairs thru out the season...for early season I use the fingerless gloves from first lite but when the temps drop I use the Fanatic Gloves from Sitka in conjunction with the First lite Aerowool Liner underneath the Fanatic Gloves...Also run a hand muff ...Nothing worse than freezing hands. Hope this helps

This year for rifle season I went to knit, dipped gloves from the hardware store, backed up by a muff. I bring a book to read in the tree so I pretty much always have at least one hand out of the muff. If it gets colder than that I switch to mechanix gloves under heavy milsurp gauntlet mittens.

I switched to a muff years ago because I could never find the right gloves. Either too bulky or not enough warmth.
I have two muffs a lighter one and then more of a late season one

When it is cold I typically wear a pair of Give’r classic gloves to and from the tree but while hunting I use the muff and maybe a hot hand or two

But I’ve never been a fan of gloves on my hands while shooting a bow for some reason

I use a couple different pairs thru out the season...for early season I use the fingerless gloves from first lite but when the temps drop I use the Fanatic Gloves from Sitka in conjunction with the First lite Aerowool Liner underneath the Fanatic Gloves...Also run a hand muff ...Nothing worse than freezing hands. Hope this helps

I used the fingerless Talus gloves from FL this year as well, but just purchased the Sitka Fanatic gloves a week or so ago. Really like the feel of them and the additional coverage. The liners underneath might be all I need to limit air exposure on the walk in/out when it’s below freezing.

Back