• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Glowing Spider Eyes?

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
A first for this northern boy. Walked back in the dry woods and it looked like beads of water were everywhere. Reality is its dry as bone tonight. Further inspection revealed they're actually spider eyes glowing in the headlamp. Never noticed that before. Screenshot_20220904-220101_Gallery.jpg

Wolf spider? I get those running through the house, harmless but'll get your attention.

In Oklahoma, I've have Brown Recluse running around but we had an agreement. They leave me alone and they get all the bugs they wanted.
When we bought our Kentucky home a few years ago, the house was infested with brown recluse! Routine sprays have knocked them way down. Went from seeing a half a dozen a week and glue traps full to barely ever seeing them.

I watched a documentary years back.
The world is covered with spiders.
Every lawn has webs that can be seen in the early light before the sun gets too high.
There is a number like a dozen, maybe more spiders a person eats in thier sleep per year?..

Funny tidbit about me. During spider season I walk through the woods with a 5-6ft branch out in front of me to protect me from walking into webs. I hate webs in the face!!!
I thought I was the only one who did that! I use my bow tho.

I've probably seen this before but have always assumed it was little drops of dew on the ground. I really couldn't believe how many sets of little eyes were glowing. Despite my fascination my wife wasn't coming to look. "Let it go if you ever want get me in the woods again!" :tearsofjoy:

Funny I was just telling a similar story yesterday, where a few years back I was walking across a previously herbicided field in the dark and at first I thought I was seeing a reflective mineral but nope, yep one zillion spiders of different sizes.

Funny tidbit about me. During spider season I walk through the woods with a 5-6ft branch out in front of me to protect me from walking into webs. I hate webs in the face!!!
I'm this way with ticks only I have my son walk in front of me. He's the only person I know that can get ticks standing in the middle of an asphalt parking lot.

Trekking pole is what I use--collapseable and light weight. Was scouting in Ohio river area last weekend. So many large spiders had to wave the trekking pole in front the whole hike. And even after diligent permethrine treatment still got jammed up by chiggers.

Back