• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Going back to flappers??

Nosaj

SH Member
Now that people have been switching over to various COC broadheads from mechanicals for a couple seasons has anyone decided to switch back to mechanicals?

Now that people have been switching over to various COC broadheads from mechanicals for a couple seasons has anyone decided to switch back to mechanicals?

I never switched to coc but have considered it a few times. I understand that the ranch fairy is very passionate about this subject and he makes a valid argument. It makes sense. But for me I couldn’t pull the trigger for the following reasons.
1) I can’t afford it. To do everything correctly you need multiple field points to test with. Which wouldn’t be all that bad. But the broadheads are very expensive. I shoot a 2” 100 grain swhacker. I’ve had the same 3 for a couple years now and I have replacement blades for them. And if I lose one or it does I break I can replace it without breaking the bank.
2) I’ve made the insane quartering shots on 2 occasions and Was successful. That being said I was new to bow hunting and didn’t realize what I was doing but I got the job done. So I don’t 100% agree that you need those setups to make that shot. But I practice a lot. I only bow hunt and I’ve been shooting the same bow and basically the same arrows for Almost 10 years. I shoot my bow everyday and I know my limits. I may only shoot 20 arrows one day and another day I may shoot 100. but I am confident that I can pick my bow up and hit the bulls eye at 20 and do the same at 45 on any day of the week. Now I will only take a shot I know I can make and knock on wood I’ve taken 17 deer with my bow and only lost 1. Which was the first deer I shot with it.
3) if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. All but 3 of the deer I’ve shot I’ve gotten a pass through on. And of those 3 only 1 of them made it more than 40 yards. I believe it doesn’t make a difference what you shoot if you put one in both the lungs they don’t go far. I like what I shoot and until it fails me I believe I will continue to use it.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t switch to a coc setup but 95% of success comes from confidence in my opinion. In my mind a deer at 25 yards is dead before I ever release an arrow bc I know my stuff works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my opinion on the matter. I I haven’t found reason to switch yet. If you like what you have great. I just can’t find enough reason for me to do it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expensive is replacing mechanicals constantly. Field points for testing are cheap. I can’t remember the last time I had to trash a broadhead.

Most don’t switch until they encounter a failure. And at some point, everyone does.

But this isn't applied consistently by the Ranch Fairy Flavor Aid Fellows (RFFAF). If it was, then the first time they made a good shot but got a sparse blood trail and lost the deer then they would at least consider switching back. That this is heretical thinking leads me to believe that there is more at work than dispassionate logic. Be careful with ideas you really like or really hate because that's when you fool yourself.

I shot cut on contact heads last year and plan to again next year. A bunch of my friends switched to coc heads also this last year and most of them plan to switch back. Lack of blood on the ground being the main reason. I know the heads they were shooting were very sharp and they weren't hardly getting any blood. They got pass throughs and double lungs from a tree stand with minimal blood. One of them double lunged a doe and it only went around 50 yards and piled up in a little draw and they weren't able to find it till the next morning because the couldn't find any blood at all. Another on put what he was almost sure was a perfect shot on a buck and they came back to look in the morning and it hadn't made it far but the coyotes had eaten the whole thing. Granted they did kill the deer quickly and maybe were able to shoot closer to the shoulder with more confidence but they aren't very happy with the results.

Use both, situationally. Its an option anyway. Thats my likely plan this season.

Been blowing mechanicals through critters for a long time now and havent had any issues with the heads I have used, dead deer and at a minimum good blood trails but generally stupid easy blood trails. That is with my compound and see no reason to change anything about that setup. But I am going back to the recurve and intend to shoot either Ace Super Express or Simmons Tree Sharks. Big holes leave good sign.

Been blowing mechanicals through critters for a long time now and havent had any issues with the heads I have used, dead deer and at a minimum good blood trails but generally stupid easy blood trails. That is with my compound and see no reason to change anything about that setup. But I am going back to the recurve and intend to shoot either Ace Super Express or Simmons Tree Sharks. Big holes leave good sign.
Yeah but your shootin them little tiny southern deer :tearsofjoy:

Yeah but your shootin them little tiny southern deer :tearsofjoy:
Yeah, our deer arent as a big as some, avg mature doe where I hunt will be 120-125 and a avg 4 year old buck will be around 200. Only got to shoot 1 elk with my compound and the arrow went 10 yards or so out the backside. Planning to take the curve this year and hope to find out how it will do.

Yeah, our deer arent as a big as some, avg mature doe where I hunt will be 120-125 and a avg 4 year old buck will be around 200. Only got to shoot 1 elk with my compound and the arrow went 10 yards or so out the backside. Planning to take the curve this year and hope to find out how it will do.
Cool. Good luck.

Switchback to mechanicals? Not in this lifetime.

Had great results on three deer this year, two with good shot placement and one that was horrendous but got saved because of arrow weight and coc broadhead. Of the two good shots, one had a phenomenal blood trail leaving two parallel lines of blood and the other dropped 15 yards from where the impact took place.

What I really liked was the non reaction when the arrow hit them (the two good shots). Both deer hopped away and then stopped to look to see what just happened, the doe casually walked away till she dropped around 80 yards and the buck just toppled over a few yards later.

Been shooting COC heads for years but there is just no need for these extreme heavy setups for a whitetail Mine are of a moderate weight and have killed well over 200 whitetails Dont need my arrow to go any deeper in the dirt.

For suburban areas I want a deer not dead but butchered. Gravedigger extreme. But in Large private land woods I use black hornets. I also like gravedigger extreme on public because I can watch the deer go down.usually under 40 yards

Sent from my S52 using Tapatalk

I'm going to try using Chinadermics with my new crossbow and Trypans with my compound. I think they'll work just fine for deer. I've been hesitant to use mechanicals with my compound because I have a short draw length. But the Trypans blade angle isn't as steep and I've seen women using them with their setup. So I think I'll be fine as long as I put it in the right spot.

Back