• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Going back to Saddle/Web from MO

BOMO

Hey everyone,
I started hunting from a Trophyline Tree Saddle in Realtree camo with Summit Buck Steps and Ameristep strap on steps for platform.
Sold that for a Cougar Claw adjustable climber because of the pinch points. I liked it the Cougar Claw, just heavier than I liked for mobility and I had to find the perfect tree.
Sold it for a mirrored ground blind :thumbdown: (what was I thinking? Busted bigtime!).
Sold that for a Summit Viper Classic climber that weighed 30lbs bare, 50lbs with gear and accessories. Talk about back and shoulder pain, even with padded straps and a molle belt.
Finally realized that for my style and access to hunting I need 100% mobility for every hunt and small packing size for travel, so what better than a saddle again to meet that.

I've been primarily looking at Guido's Web for the comfort factor. If it is as comfortable as you all and AT folks make it sound, it's what I need.

My uncertainty now is finding the right climbing method. I've looked into LW sticks (found a good deal on 3 used, but like the Muddys locking system and double-sided steps better), LW hand climber as climbing method and platform (thought this was the answer but some of the threads on here suggest maybe not), I'm intrigued by the use of the aiders/etriers with 1 or 2 sticks, but I've never climbed rocks or used ropes to climb (other than tree strap and lineman ropes). I like the idea of the climbing spikes, but kinda scares me and worried about feet comfort. I read the "Share Your Climbing Method" thread, watched many YouTube videos on various methods, just can't decide. Funds are limited so I want try to find the best climbing methods for me the first time to have 100% mobility (pick a tree and go). Can you help me decide?

I'm 6'4", ~170lbs (tall and skinny) and I hunt in Central and Southwest Missouri. Thanks for all the great info provided here.

Welcome to the site. Are you bow hunting and or gun hunting? I havent used the GW, but others here will help you out with that. Are you looking for all day comfort, or 3-4hr tops? Some of the pinch you experienced can be lessened using a longer bridge. Bridge being the green strap that connected the left/right side of your ambush that you then connected to the tree via a tether. Also a shorter tether tied at eye level in combination with the longer bridge also helps. The idea behind most of the saddles(in my opinion) now days is to lean into them, not sit on them like a swing. If you sit deep in them, they will pinch your hips for sure.
As for climbing, Hawk helium sticks hands down! I have LW sticks and wont use them now that I have the Hawks. Safer and lighter.

Ive looked at the ghost blind, Id love to hear more on it. You said you got busted a lot, thats interesting. On one hand it seems perfect, but I gotta believe the image would look "wet" and stick out to deer.

Welcome to the site!

I haven't used a guido's web but many on here will testify to the comfort in one. I used a tree saddle for years and did many all day sits in it, but there were times where I would get uncomfortable with it. 2 seasons in an aero hunter now and I think its very comfortable, even for all day sits. I think the aero hunter is about 1/2 the weight of the web.

Climbing methods: Can you use screw in steps? If you can, a preset tree with screw in steps is by far the lightest method. I have around 40 trees setup right now that all I need to do is wear my saddle in and I'm good to go. I think the next "easiest" method is climbing sticks, but you have the weight of the sticks to carry. Each set of sticks has its pluses and minuses. I have used the lone wolf for a while but I just picked up some of the Haw heliums as well. I really like them and I'm modifying them to fit my needs. I have a set of climbing spurs and I have not been able to put enough practice time into them to get comfortable but I'm hoping to before next season. Many are also using SRT to climb a rope. I think this is possible the lightest way to get into any tree but it also takes more practice to get good at it. I prefer to have a tree setup with paracord to pull my rope up because I don't enjoy struggling to get my throw bag over the branch I want as I'm setting up for a hunt. I use all of these different options to get into a tree depending on where I am hunting due to different rules. State land I can use screw in steps. Sometimes if I want to try a new spot I'll use SRT. I have a park I can hunt in but I can only have one tree at a time, so in that place I take my sticks in and out. Ultimately you will have to figure out which one will work best for your situation.

Good luck!

Man this is a loaded question. I don't think there's a perfect/best system out there. I've tried Muddy sticks, Lone Wolf Sticks and combination of both.

What I used most of this past season is 3 modified Lone Wolf sticks. Here's a link to that.
http://saddlehunter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=848

Most of us on the forum end up modifying our sticks to one degree or another.

Get yourself a pair of climbing spurs( there are several manufacturers to consider) and a mobile platform ( Ameristeps) and enjoy. With a little practice you will be confident and feel safe. If you are looking for the lightweight mobile solution then this is a great one to consider. These other guys have loads of knowledge to share in terms of sticks, ropes , aiders and more. This is just one guys preference. Good luck, no matter what you choose in the way of getting up a tree , at least once you are there you will spend the rest of your day in a saddle!!! ;)

kenn1320 said:
Welcome to the site. Are you bow hunting and or gun hunting? I havent used the GW, but others here will help you out with that. Are you looking for all day comfort, or 3-4hr tops? Some of the pinch you experienced can be lessened using a longer bridge. Bridge being the green strap that connected the left/right side of your ambush that you then connected to the tree via a tether. Also a shorter tether tied at eye level in combination with the longer bridge also helps. The idea behind most of the saddles(in my opinion) now days is to lean into them, not sit on them like a swing. If you sit deep in them, they will pinch your hips for sure.
As for climbing, Hawk helium sticks hands down! I have LW sticks and wont use them now that I have the Hawks. Safer and lighter.

Ive looked at the ghost blind, Id love to hear more on it. You said you got busted a lot, thats interesting. On one hand it seems perfect, but I gotta believe the image would look "wet" and stick out to deer.

It will be some of both, but mostly bow. I've only ever done up to 3 hrs due to lack of comfort. I've read a lot about adjusting bridge length in the last week or so on here, looking forward to trying it out. I will look at the Hawk Helium sticks, I think they're cheaper too, which is a plus!
The ghost blind is probably ok in the perfect spot, but for me, being 6'4", I couldn't get behind it enough to be concealed and shoot a bow. It is probably more useful for longer rifle shots.

redsquirrel said:
Welcome to the site!

I haven't used a guido's web but many on here will testify to the comfort in one. I used a tree saddle for years and did many all day sits in it, but there were times where I would get uncomfortable with it. 2 seasons in an aero hunter now and I think its very comfortable, even for all day sits. I think the aero hunter is about 1/2 the weight of the web.

Climbing methods: Can you use screw in steps? If you can, a preset tree with screw in steps is by far the lightest method. I have around 40 trees setup right now that all I need to do is wear my saddle in and I'm good to go. I think the next "easiest" method is climbing sticks, but you have the weight of the sticks to carry. Each set of sticks has its pluses and minuses. I have used the lone wolf for a while but I just picked up some of the Haw heliums as well. I really like them and I'm modifying them to fit my needs. I have a set of climbing spurs and I have not been able to put enough practice time into them to get comfortable but I'm hoping to before next season. Many are also using SRT to climb a rope. I think this is possible the lightest way to get into any tree but it also takes more practice to get good at it. I prefer to have a tree setup with paracord to pull my rope up because I don't enjoy struggling to get my throw bag over the branch I want as I'm setting up for a hunt. I use all of these different options to get into a tree depending on where I am hunting due to different rules. State land I can use screw in steps. Sometimes if I want to try a new spot I'll use SRT. I have a park I can hunt in but I can only have one tree at a time, so in that place I take my sticks in and out. Ultimately you will have to figure out which one will work best for your situation.

Good luck!

I looked into the AeroHunter saddle first after finding out that Trophyline went under and read a lot of posts by you, Bourderoux (sp?), and others. It seemed like the go to choice. Then I read a bunch of posts about Guido's Web and how comfortable it was. Honestly, I'm still not sure which to choose. I think the AeroHunter is more versatile and lighter, like you mentioned, but GW has the comfort factor going for it. I'm interested in the SRT climbing idea and the AeroHunting seem better suited that. I will probably still get sticks to use in case I don't get enough practice with the rope climbing gear. I need to do some major research before I start dumping money on rope climbing gear. I read the entire "Climbing a rope for access" thread and was so confused by all the names of ascenders, hitches, and knots, but the concept I like.

g2outdoors said:
Man this is a loaded question. I don't think there's a perfect/best system out there. I've tried Muddy sticks, Lone Wolf Sticks and combination of both.

What I used most of this past season is 3 modified Lone Wolf sticks. Here's a link to that.
http://saddlehunter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=848

Most of us on the forum end up modifying our sticks to one degree or another.

I know it's a loaded question and everything is very individual on what works, what people like, etc. Just trying to get the optimal setup (as best I can) for someone of my size (tall and skinny) and hunting style the first time, so I don't waste a lot of $.

huck72412 said:
Get yourself a pair of climbing spurs( there are several manufacturers to consider) and a mobile platform ( Ameristeps) and enjoy. With a little practice you will be confident and feel safe. If you are looking for the lightweight mobile solution then this is a great one to consider. These other guys have loads of knowledge to share in terms of sticks, ropes , aiders and more. This is just one guys preference. Good luck, no matter what you choose in the way of getting up a tree , at least once you are there you will spend the rest of your day in a saddle!!! ;)

What manufacturers do you consider good for climbing spurs? I'll have to do some more research on this method.
Any idea where I can get strap-on Ameristeps at a decent price? (I'm aware of the recall and scarcity).

Good luck. They come available fairly often but they aren't cheap usually. They typically go for around 20 each

I have a bunch that I haven't used for a while but I'm afraid to sell them.

Hello all,
I will add my 2 cents worth. I started out saddle hunting about ten years ago and started with a tree saddle and six LW sticks to climb with. Found this setup challenging due to the weight of the sticks and not having a good way to carry them. Didn't have any knowledge of eteirs or aiders also found the pinching and having to use knee pads with the saddle annoying.

Then I made DIY climbpaws with 3 inch PVC pipe using buckle straps to secure them to the tree. These were good for weight reduction but extremely bulky to carry. I then found out and switched to the Guidos web in 2011 for comfort which was the best thing I did for myself having started to get arthritis in my back and knees.

I then changed to using tree bolts for my climbing and platform. These are nice after you have all your trees setup but having to drill 25 holes in each tree is a pain. I like to hunt atleast 25 foot up and 6 bolts for my platform. And now since these are illegal in Michigan on state land. I am now changing to what I hope will work for me next year which is eight Jim Stepp's with 6 foot etiers on the bottom 2 steps then the remaining 6 spaced 2 feet apart to make it easier for me to climb to 24 feet and then six of my DIY climbpaws on a strap for my platform.

In closing I absolutely love the web for comfort at my age of 58 and my arthritis in my back and knees I can make all day hunts easily. I am hoping this new climbing method will work for weight and packability. And I agree everyone has to experiment to make their setup work for them.

Tall, skinny, and young. Most guys in this category fall into loving low bulk equipment. In that case I would recommend starting with the evo or a less bulky saddle.

Older, fatter, and fighting preexisting medical problems, I'd strongly consider the web first.

I currently use both a web and a modified NT champion. The champion is super light, cool, and reasonably comfortable. I can pull an all day sit in it, but things get rough after a few days. It only gets picked for deep all day sits.

I pick the web for consecutive all day hunts and cooler temps. Sometimes a break from my minimalist saddle.

mejer said:
Hello all,
I will add my 2 cents worth. I started out saddle hunting about ten years ago and started with a tree saddle and six LW sticks to climb with. Found this setup challenging due to the weight of the sticks and not having a good way to carry them. Didn't have any knowledge of eteirs or aiders also found the pinching and having to use knee pads with the saddle annoying.

Then I made DIY climbpaws with 3 inch PVC pipe using buckle straps to secure them to the tree. These were good for weight reduction but extremely bulky to carry. I then found out and switched to the Guidos web in 2011 for comfort which was the best thing I did for myself having started to get arthritis in my back and knees.

I then changed to using tree bolts for my climbing and platform. These are nice after you have all your trees setup but having to drill 25 holes in each tree is a pain. I like to hunt atleast 25 foot up and 6 bolts for my platform. And now since these are illegal in Michigan on state land. I am now changing to what I hope will work for me next year which is eight Jim Stepp's with 6 foot etiers on the bottom 2 steps then the remaining 6 spaced 2 feet apart to make it easier for me to climb to 24 feet and then six of my DIY climbpaws on a strap for my platform.

In closing I absolutely love the web for comfort at my age of 58 and my arthritis in my back and knees I can make all day hunts easily. I am hoping this new climbing method will work for weight and packability. And I agree everyone has to experiment to make their setup work for them.

Hey Im not trying to be negative, but several things for you to consider. Jim Stepps are great, but I put a long aider on one of mine and its an accident waiting to happen. I was able to climb it, but aiders are prone to kick outs and with nothing to grab onto other than the tree, your not very stable. Aiders on a stick allow you to hold the stick. Also by design, the Jim Stepp doesnt look side load friendly. Im not talking pushing on it as a platform, it works well for that. I mean pulling downward on it on only 1 side, like you would experience with a kick out on an aider.
2ft step spacing is huge when dressed for fall hunting. Im 6'2 and can span 30" in shorts, but anything over 20" with my hunting pants and its a show stopper. Have you tried the Jim Stepps? Where are you at in Mi, maybe we could meet up. I have 3 stepps you can see how they go on a tree, mess with spacing, and I have a 3 step aider and a 5 step one we can put on it. Id like to see the guido web in person so win win for both of us. :cool:

kenn1320 said:
mejer said:
Hello all,

Hey Im not trying to be negative, but several things for you to consider. Jim Stepps are great, but I put a long aider on one of mine and its an accident waiting to happen. I was able to climb it, but aiders are prone to kick outs and with nothing to grab onto other than the tree, your not very stable. Aiders on a stick allow you to hold the stick. Also by design, the Jim Stepp doesnt look side load friendly. Im not talking pushing on it as a platform, it works well for that. I mean pulling downward on it on only 1 side, like you would experience with a kick out on an aider.
2ft step spacing is huge when dressed for fall hunting. Im 6'2 and can span 30" in shorts, but anything over 20" with my hunting pants and its a show stopper. Have you tried the Jim Stepps? Where are you at in Mi, maybe we could meet up. I have 3 stepps you can see how they go on a tree, mess with spacing, and I have a 3 step aider and a 5 step one we can put on it. Id like to see the guido web in person so win win for both of us. :cool:

kenn1320 I appreciate your input, I have the Jim Stepp steps already but not the aiders so any help choosing the right set up is great. All I am looking for is something that will be legal on state land here in Michigan and hopefully light weight without a lot of bulk. Not asking for much right. I do have 6 of the lone wolf sticks still so maybe use 2 with aiders and use the one stick climb method. I am in the Jackson area and don't mind driving to meet you.

BOMO said:
huck72412 said:

What manufacturers do you consider good for climbing spurs? I'll have to do some more research on this method.
Any idea where I can get strap-on Ameristeps at a decent price? (I'm aware of the recall and scarcity).

Lost my whole paragraph for some reason so I'll keep it short. Spurs are Illegal in Missouri for public land and you can get sticks hella cheap in comparison. I use SRT on public land and on my private land using prusiks and split tails. I you're still set on spurs I do have a set I'm selling for 150 barely used. I do still use stagger steps from time to time for quick setup but I'm getting almost as fast at setting lines with a throw-line so I might give them up completely eventually. If you have any questions or you'd like the spurs PM me and I'll drop you me number.

DIYSaddler said:
Lost my whole paragraph for some reason so I'll keep it short. Spurs are Illegal in Missouri for public land and you can get sticks hella cheap in comparison. I use SRT on public land and on my private land using prusiks and split tails. I you're still set on spurs I do have a set I'm selling for 150 barely used. I do still use stagger steps from time to time for quick setup but I'm getting almost as fast at setting lines with a throw-line so I might give them up completely eventually. If you have any questions or you'd like the spurs PM me and I'll drop you me number.

Thanks for the response. Do you setup SRT spots in the dark and/or take it down when done hunting? I like the idea of this method and may pursue it in the future. For this next season, I'm gathering supplies for climbing with one or more sticks in a GW as funds allow. For me, comfort is king!

BOMO said:
DIYSaddler said:

Thanks for the response. Do you setup SRT spots in the dark and/or take it down when done hunting? I like the idea of this method and may pursue it in the future. For this next season, I'm gathering supplies for climbing with one or more sticks in a GW as funds allow. For me, comfort is king!
I usually setup a spot durring the day so I can see what I'm going to have for shooting lanes and what not. But then I leave I leave a piece of parachord in the tree so I don't have to throw into the tree when I come back.

g2outdoors said:
Good luck. They come available fairly often but they aren't cheap usually. They typically go for around 20 each

I have a bunch that I haven't used for a while but I'm afraid to sell them.

I'd like to have a set but refuse to pay that :lol:

flinginairos said:
I'd like to have a set but refuse to pay that :lol:

I used to have a set when I had a tree saddle and sold them with the saddle, but I won't that much either. It's going to be Cranford rope steps on a strapworks strap and boat buckle for me.

Back