• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Got lucky today

Horn

SH Member
Screenshot_20231105_200635_Gallery.jpg

Can you see me now @BTaylor :tearsofjoy:

Not much of a story, mostly just dumb luck but I'll take it! She's definitely smaller than spike but I'll take it!

I was actually headed out, had pretty much threw in the towel. Found much better sign nearby but I feel like that's a morning plan.

Heard something of to my left up a hill a bit. It was her. I was 100% exposed, but had time/distance to get ready for a shot ( nock arrow and what all) . She came in pretty quick, I just stood there , feet out of position but workable. She was feeding right to me.. finally her head was in cover so I drew. Thanks for hanging up now, doe.

I'm freakin shaking between adrenaline and holding at full draw waiting for my opportunity. She's kinda stalled at 20 and my big rear end is still just standing in the wide open at full draw.

It's INTENSE exposed on the ground!

Finally a crap opportunity for a shot! Took it and, again, heard that pop!
Screenshot_20231105_202406_Gallery.jpg
( somewhere in there, it's zoomed and my hat is at 20)

Bad shot honestly, way right 6-8 inches. Got that diaphragm though. She wandered about 7-10 yards to my left, no cover for either of us and just kinda stood there. I thought I seen where I hit her. She kinda turned and looked at it. No blood or anything so I'm wondering WT heck.

Well it couldn't have been only a few minutes but geez does time go slow in these situations, lol. She finally wobbled and tipped over, still only 20 yards away!

After several texts to friends she managed to get to her feet and moved a touch closer as luck would have it. I decided I needed to dispatch her faster, given the opportunity. Sent two more, one absolutely terrible but hit. Second happened to go literally right next to the first but exited father back.

Ouch. I suck today!! But she was definitely down and out in short order now. Need to see if my crap shots were me or I banged my sight or what. Not looking for excuses, and I'm thankful it went fairly good, I need to do better.

Still brought some meat home! 2nd public in Michigan this year.

It seems I like to run my yapper more than I thought lol

Edit: I made this, and my other success post, in the spirit of one of our regulars suggested we should post more success stories. If I remember correctly it was suggested so that we can have discussion and help each other learn what worked. Questions/ whatever welcome

Last edited:
Good job @Horn. Way to be honest about your shooting

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Man, you got luckier than me. Had a similar situation yesterday where I was caught out in the open and had to wait for an opening to nock an arrow and range her. I never got a shot though. Congrats!

Man, you got luckier than me. Had a similar situation yesterday where I was caught out in the open and had to wait for an opening to nock an arrow and range her. I never got a shot though. Congrats!
Thanks! I enjoyed your write up in the other thread. I had a really similar encounter last year on a little fork buck, that one I did manage to get an arrow nocked but no shot.

Good luck out there man! Just keep at it. Seems like after those first few encounters they start happening more often and one of them will reward you with a successful shot

Back