• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gri Gri plus

Pilk64

would the gri gri plus be a good option to replace the madrock safeguard for rappelling since the safeguards are no longer available?

Yes it’s a smoother operating belay device than the Madrock. It holds your position when advancing and it has a panic braking feature in case you pull the lever too hard while rappelling. I use a gri gri plus when I SRT, just be sure to pay attention to the rope size specifications.

Yes it’s a smoother operating belay device than the Madrock. It holds your position when advancing and it has a panic braking feature in case you pull the lever too hard while rappelling. I use a gri gri plus when I SRT, just be sure to pay attention to the rope size specifications.
awesome and thanks...I do have a safegard but my belief is always have something in case you lose it or it breaks bla bla bla...I believe 2 is 1 and 1 is none

I just got the gri gri plus a week or so ago. I’ve only played with it once and my only complaint is I feel it’s a little loud getting set up as it kinda rattles around. Otherwise no complaints with its function.

I know that a lot of folks use the MR with 8mm rope even though it’s out of spec, myself included using it at my own risk, is the GriGri more particular to spec though?

I know that a lot of folks use the MR with 8mm rope even though it’s out of spec, myself included using it at my own risk, is the GriGri more particular to spec though?
Never mind if I would have used the search feature instead of being lazy I’d have seen the answer sorry guys.

Lots of posts on this.

I have a new one sitting on my desk and have a Mad Rock safeguard arriving on Thursday. I will try out both side by side and let you know what works best. My initial thought is that the MR Safeguard will work better for ascending and the GriGri+ will work better descending. This is based on research, not first hand use, so I will let you know if this is actually true.

I have a new one sitting on my desk and have a Mad Rock safeguard arriving on Thursday. I will try out both side by side and let you know what works best. My initial thought is that the MR Safeguard will work better for ascending and the GriGri+ will work better descending. This is based on research, not first hand use, so I will let you know if this is actually true.
where in the world did you find a safeguard??

where in the world did you find a safeguard??

I was sending PMs to guys selling saddles and 1-stick gear asking if they had an extra Mad Rock Safeguard they could sell. I only asked guys that have been around for awhile to avoid getting scammed. I found a guy with an extra, brand new, Safeguard. I had actually bought gear from this guy in the past and knew he was legit. He sold it for $130 TMD.

I bought the GriGri + from Amazon the day before I found the MD Safeguard.

I have both and use both. The SG is used when I one stick and the GG+ is used when I SRT. The GG+ is much bigger and has more rattling noises ( quiet under load) but descends so much better than the SG. The GG+ also functions more like the original Lifeguard vs the Safeguard.

Back