• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Grivel Twin Gate Carabiner

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
Is anybody using these or have any experience with them? They have several different models and a couple different kinds of gates. I use petzl Williams screw locks which I like but are not good for wet and freezing conditions. Plus I could save some weight. Any input?

Or

Havent used it yet but I got the twin gate Grivel in the combo pack from EWO with the Grivel ATC rated for 8mm rope. Played with the biner a bit at the house and I dont think operationally it will be as much of a pain as I thought it might be when I ordered it.

I used a Grivel Clepsydra (K10G) this season and loved it. Works really well in keeping your carabiner correctly oriented while using a distel and tender.

Last edited:
I have the Mega HMS twin gate. Got it in the same combo from EWO as @BTaylor. It’s a little tricky for me to get my finger in there with gloves on. I like the HMS shape of it with the ATC though.

So has anyone used both the wire gate and the other gate? Which do you prefer? I think I’m going to give these a try but don’t know which one I would like better.

So has anyone used both the wire gate and the other gate? Which do you prefer? I think I’m going to give these a try but don’t know which one I would like better.
Take into consideration the shape of the carabiner as well - the two you have listed are for different purposes and shouldn't be compared on gate style alone. HMS style carabiners are for belay situations (rappelling in our use). I use the Plume you listed to connect my lineman to my saddle for example.

Shape is an important consideration. The plume works for me with distel hitches on Sterling TRC.

I also selected wire gates because they Perform better in wet icy conditions and they may be a little lighter

Take into consideration the shape of the carabiner as well - the two you have listed are for different purposes and shouldn't be compared on gate style alone. HMS style carabiners are for belay situations (rappelling in our use). I use the Plume you listed to connect my lineman to my saddle for example.

I see. So if I was to get only one type I should go with the HMS as I do rappel from time to time? Do the different shapes provide any benefit to us saddlers? I need all the same carabiners because I want every connection to be the same in the dark, cold, wet, etc... I only use prusik knots. Could I use the plume with say a figure 8 type device?

Last edited:
My understanding is the different shapes are for different uses. Did you mean getting different shapes with the same type gate? That would make sense so you don’t have to worry about them opening differently. I use the HMS shape with my ATC, Modified D on my tether, and and Oval on top of my hand ascender instead of a pulley (but I think I am about to change this one to a pear shape or HMS because the width is almost to small to fit right on the ascender. I guess you could use all the same shape, but they are different shapes for a purpose, although I admit I don’t know what they all are, I just base it on which shapes looks like it will work better for what I want to use it for.

Last edited:
Back