• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ground hogs in trees? Totally bizarre

Ckwilli

SH Member
I have a ground hog that’s been hanging around my house for a while. Yesterday I watched it climb a chain link fence, climb into a tree and start eating leaves. Who knew they could do that? I guess I’ve got to reevaluate my idea of how much wood can a woodchuck chuck now that I know they climb trees. I’ll try and link a video.

It’s gotten where it will let us get pretty close in fact I almost ran over it mowing my yard. I was amazed when I saw it climbing the fence.

Many moons ago I was grouse hunting and there was an old abandoned apple orchard with scrub within and throughout the orchard. I’d kicked up grouse all the time in this successional growth. One day walking along an enduro run path that shot straight thru the old orchard there’s woodchuck about 7 feet off the ground in one of the apples. He got a face full of 7.5’s

I used to watch a very large, old groundhog that sunned himself on a long straight limb over a draw behind my Grandparents house. I think he got used to me as I squirrel hunted that draw every weekend and I was able to get right under him within about 20 feet. He had a burrow in the bank of the spring fed trickle about 30 yards from that tree.

I saw one in a tree when I was a kid. I’ve seen opossums in trees also even though they mainly seem to be a ground animal. I think all those varmit type of animals can climb.
I caught a big ole possum in a log crossing set for mink in a 110 conibear trap one time. He must have been 12lbs and only his head made it through but he was dead right on the log still upright. I’m sure I’m embellishing his weight but he was big!!

I always understood that possums would sleep in trees. Maybe that was a myth or something.

Saying it climbed a tree may be a bit of a stretch. More like it entered a bush. At least to my eye :laughing:

But I get it that there is an old tree stump in that bush.

Saying it climbed a tree may be a bit of a stretch. More like it entered a bush. At least to my eye :laughing:

But I get it that there is an old tree stump in that bush.
It actually climbed the chain link fence and climbed up onto the tree limb. I posted it because it was a funny video and didn’t realize someone would actually be that picky. I’ll make sure to change the title to more accurately reflect what happened.

Our jack Russell chased one up into an arborvitae a couple of months ago. That woodchuck definetely climbed. I thought my dog was literally barking up the wrong tree but I finally went and checked it out. Sure enough,a medium woodchuck about 7' up. I grabbed a shovel and whacked it out of the tree and my dog did the rest. I got an assist.

They will flat climb a tree. They will also get up an oak and shake the branches and get the acorns to fall.

Back