• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Guide to Fliplines / Lanyards and Adjusters in Tree Climbing

How to use a 2-1 lanyard, Works good for saddle hunters as it allows us to pass obstructions without detaching and using the same lanyard!

Wow cool video. I've been thinking about using my tether like this so that I wouldn't have to bring a separate linesman belt with me. The advantage I could see was the slight weight reduction. Any disadvantages to using a 2 in 1?

Wow cool video. I've been thinking about using my tether like this so that I wouldn't have to bring a separate linesman belt with me. The advantage I could see was the slight weight reduction. Any disadvantages to using a 2 in 1?
Only downside is the linemens belt would need to be longer around 12 feet would work good!

I think one disadvantage of the 2-in-1 lanyard is that you cannot use it with a Ropeman 1, as the adjustment has to be done in both directions. Notice that the pull shown in the first video above is in one direction and then the other after you make the switch to the second lanyard. Notice in both videos that they are using a slightly different version of the 2-in-1 lanyard, where the first video shows essentially 3 carabiners with the middle one on a prusik, while the second video uses 4 carabiners.

Looks like it could get real confusing to a novice climber (like me) in the dark especially.

I think one disadvantage of the 2-in-1 lanyard is that you cannot use it with a Ropeman 1, as the adjustment has to be done in both directions. Notice that the pull shown in the first video above is in one direction and then the other after you make the switch to the second lanyard. Notice in both videos that they are using a slightly different version of the 2-in-1 lanyard, where the first video shows essentially 3 carabiners with the middle one on a prusik, while the second video uses 4 carabiners.
Thats just his style, Countryboy has a lot of different methods of doing things but all his videos are good. You obviously can do it like the first video and be fine unless you use a ropeman then your limited to what can be used.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You shouldnt be doing anything you're unfamiliar with in the dark.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Very true, I just like keeping it simple. With a linemans rope, and then use my tether when needed to go around a limb. Then a quick visual reference I can tell everything is good.Honestly if you would have told me a year ago I'd be hanging from a rope in a tree and hunting I would have called you crazy. So anything is learnable and possible.

The 2 in 1 in the first vid is more like a 1.5 in 1 cause like you said, only one leg end can be tensioned at a time. In the second vid, it's essentially two separate lanyards in one that allows both to be tensioned simultaneously. For those not familiar with tree work, there is a subtle but important difference between the two. The first 2 in 1 is mostly just about passing obstructions and staying tied in. The second system is being used to create two points of contact while cutting (creates a backup in case one line is cut). If using the first 2 in 1 in the second scenario and the tensioned end gets cut, the climber loses control of their position and risks getting hurt cause the other end isn't tight. Whereas if one end gets cut using the second lanyard, it's going to be scary but not nearly as dangerous.

Dave made a good point in the first vid that the spilt tail climbing system for the most part phased out the 2 in 1 lanyard. The split tail equivalent for saddle hunters is using the flipline like normal and then using the tether as the second attachment. It's simpler and more effective most of the time. The guy in the second vid I'd guess is climbing a certain kind of tree or doing a specific type of work a lot that makes the 2 in 1 particularly handy. My first climbing set-up 20+ yrs ago had a 2 in 1 but shortly after switched to a split tail and never used one again.

In the pic I dug out my old flipline that was used for removals. 3/4" 3-strand with the big Petzl Macrograb. Haven't used this thing in quite a long time :D

Attachments

• Macrograb 1.jpg
    Macrograb 1.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
The 2 in 1 in the first vid is more like a 1.5 in 1 cause like you said, only one leg end can be tensioned at a time. In the second vid, it's essentially two separate lanyards in one that allows both to be tensioned simultaneously. For those not familiar with tree work, there is a subtle but important difference between the two. The first 2 in 1 is mostly just about passing obstructions and staying tied in. The second system is being used to create two points of contact while cutting (creates a backup in case one line is cut). If using the first 2 in 1 in the second scenario and the tensioned end gets cut, the climber loses control of their position and risks getting hurt cause the other end isn't tight. Whereas if one end gets cut using the second lanyard, it's going to be scary but not nearly as dangerous.

Dave made a good point in the first vid that the spilt tail climbing system for the most part phased out the 2 in 1 lanyard. The split tail equivalent for saddle hunters is using the flipline like normal and then using the tether as the second attachment. It's simpler and more effective most of the time. The guy in the second vid I'd guess is climbing a certain kind of tree or doing a specific type of work a lot that makes the 2 in 1 particularly handy. My first climbing set-up 20+ yrs ago had a 2 in 1 but shortly after switched to a split tail and never used one again.

In the pic I dug out my old flipline that was used for removals. 3/4" 3-strand with the big Petzl Macrograb. Haven't used this thing in quite a long time :D

Thanks man, that cleared a few things up for me. I appreciate it!

You're welcome. Seeing pics/vids of the equipment is one thing, knowing why it's used can kinda help hunters decide if it's something they want to incorporate into hunting. I thought about this while posting the response yesterday but didn't mention it, then ran across this video later in the day. Climbers like to have a quick way out of the tree so if something happens up there they can burn out. On a job one day a friend got attacked by bees, injuries, fires, etc.

With a 2 in 1, going up and down is safe but you ain't gonna come down quickly if something happens. With a standard flipline and a split tail (using the end of the climbing line as the second flipline) or an SRT equivalent, there's always quick access to the ground. Probably not a bad idea for more hunters to consider using a ground length tether.

Back