• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Guidos first hunt

Tim Tripoli

Not sure about this. Took me way too long to get setup. Comfort is ok not like a climber. And can not figure out how to keep my rope tether from sliding down on me when i take pressure off.

Rope man is hard to adjust up higher with one hand. First official run and i know it will get better. Just struggling a little.

Tim

Not sure about this. Took me way too long to get setup. Comfort is ok not like a climber. And can not figure out how to keep my rope tether from sliding down on me when i take pressure off.

Rope man is hard to adjust up higher with one hand. First official run and i know it will get better. Just struggling a little.

Tim

Yeah Tim I think everyone will underestimate the importance of practice. I have not made my first hunt yet but I've been up trees just to hang out and practice shooting my bow about 5 times now. I'm just now getting to where I think I have all the moves figured out so that I can do anything I want to and it's almost second nature. I also made sure to bring up and set up everything.

If your tether rope is long enough wrap it around the tree twice. It's highly unlikely it will slip then after it's had pressure on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim
Wrap your rope tether around the tree twice that should stop it from sliding down and if your tether is too short to do that make it go through the eye twice . With my Guido's web I use the belt that came with it and it never slides down the tree . As far as comfort I think it is very comfortable do you have the the lumbar belts on yours if adjusted correctly it's like sitting in a reclining chair.

Depending on the size of tree I may be should be able wrap the tether twice. But what does 2 times thru the loop do?

Comfort was not bad I think it will just take some getting use to. Yes worked with the lumbar belts till I was comfy. I think I found it more difficult to get around the tree without constant adjustments to get back to be comfortable. there is no way I could move around the tree I was in without using my hands or adjusting something. I certainly could not have done it with my bow in hand.

I only got to practice a few times with prior to hunting because I don't have trees big enough in my yard to work with. And some how I think people would get alarmed seeing my climb up power poles. LOL.

I also found it difficult to hang sticks with the web. I used the stock linesman belt loops. Is it easier using the tether loops with the linesman belt?

Thanks

Tim

Set up will become easier and quicker with practice, don't worry about that. Each day you're in the tree, take a few minutes to practice getting into shooting position for shots in various directions. The shorter you make your tether, the more limited will be your travel around the tree. I've ditched the GW lineman's belt in favor of one made out of seatbelt type webbing (forget the brand) since it adjusts much easier. IMHO, the web is about as comfortable as you're ever going to be when perched in a tree saddle.

Set up will become easier and quicker with practice, don't worry about that. Each day you're in the tree, take a few minutes to practice getting into shooting position for shots in various directions. The shorter you make your tether, the more limited will be your travel around the tree. I've ditched the GW lineman's belt in favor of one made out of seatbelt type webbing (forget the brand) since it adjusts much easier. IMHO, the web is about as comfortable as you're ever going to be when perched in a tree saddle.
AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!

I use the tether loops for the linesman belt as well. I love the comfort of the web but I will be picking up a Kestril to use for my shorter sits. And when I am hiking in a couple miles.

Tripoli--
I don't know if you know this but on the opposite side from the back rest adjustment, there is anot her adjustment that allows you to take up more slack so the backrest will not be leaning back as much, try that and see if the confort gets better

Only reason, as of right now, that I have not pushed a button for a kestrel is cause I don't believe it will beat the Web in any way but weight.
And with the WEB, I don't carry a thing but my bow cause I pack everything in the web and with the use of a dump pouch or 2. I pay in Four muddy stix (unless I am doing the one stick climb), 2 five step aiders, clothes, 3 cranford strap on steps, 3 screw in hanger hooks, range finder, water, snacks, calls, release, 1 or 2 pull up ropes and saw. You can be a leaner and a sitter in super comfort in a short hunt or a all dayer.
AND I don't think the Kestril can beat that.

Thanks for the input guys. Yes I did know about the adjustment on the other side.

Like I said with limited practice at the house I am learning while hunting. I think my main struggles are hang the stick while wearing the web (Muddy Pro). I will try the tether loops w/ linesman belt next time. Also how are most adjusting the web when hanging sticks? With or with out leg straps? Adjusted tight or loose?

Next issue would be moving around the tree without constantly adjusting. I already change out the stock tether and bridge for a Rope tether , ropeman 1 and 24 sling for the bridge. It just learning where to set the tether and how to keeping it from sliding.

Getting stuff out of the pockets while wearing the web is impossible. I am too old to be that flexible. Also got to figure out where to hang my gear once I get to height. Work in progress.

Tim

Thanks for the input guys. Yes I did know about the adjustment on the other side.

Like I said with limited practice at the house I am learning while hunting. I think my main struggles are hang the stick while wearing the web (Muddy Pro). I will try the tether loops w/ linesman belt next time. Also how are most adjusting the web when hanging sticks? With or with out leg straps? Adjusted tight or loose?

Next issue would be moving around the tree without constantly adjusting. I already change out the stock tether and bridge for a Rope tether , ropeman 1 and 24 sling for the bridge. It just learning where to set the tether and how to keeping it from sliding.

Getting stuff out of the pockets while wearing the web is impossible. I am too old to be that flexible. Also got to figure out where to hang my gear once I get to height. Work in progress.

Tim
No leg straps with multiple stix.
Leg straps snug when single sticking
Cant help with the rope issues, still have web straps on mine
I take the shoulder straps off my shoulders after i gey settled, this in return allows me to get to my pamys pockets easily
hang bow just under tether height and it should be perfect to reach. Opposite side, i hang ramge finder at shoulder height while sitting. Hang quiver on back side of tree at about 2 o'clock if the bacl of tree is 12

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

For the rope I always put a screw in step in above my head to hang my pack or whatever, then run the rope over it.

As far as getting stuff out of your pockets, I always wear cargo style pants but I also have dump pouches attached to the sides of the Web. See the video below for some mods I've done.

For the lineman's belt I use 11mm static rope tied to one side of the web and a carabiner and ropeman1 on the other side. When I'm not using it I unhook and stuff it in my dump pouch.

20171008_091923_zpskerhf4d7.jpg

To adjust the ropeman 1 higher just stand up and pull up on the loose end of tether. The ropeman will adjust up no problem. Coming down tether takes more effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim
Tim, you can cut the tree strap off the bridge and just use the bridge with a rope tether. It's way more adjustable and safer than a sling. The stock bridge has the web loop at the top as a safety so you can't over rotate when you turn sharply to either side for a shot.

As for moving around the tree, the Guidos Web is not like a regular saddle where a low eye level tie in is more comfortable. it only limits rotation. Try putting your tether up high over your head. It doesn't affect comfort in any way and gives you more rope to move around the tree. Keep at it, once you get it all dialed in you won't want to hunt any other way.

How is the stock bridge more adjustable? I felt it severely limited rotation and has zero adjustments. A climbing sling is rated at 4700 pounds and allows for more rotation. Never over rotated to a point I felt unsafe.

The bridge doesn't have any adjustability. The use of a rope tether with a ropeman 1 along with the stock bridge gives you more adjustability over the stock Guidos Web tree strap.

The bridge doesn't have any adjustability. The use of a rope tether with a ropeman 1 along with the stock bridge gives you more adjustability over the stock Guidos Web tree strap.

Yes! I like this idea! I already carry an extra linemans rope with a ropeman for maneuvering about limbs. I think I'll just cut the bridge off the GW tether, use a carabiner to my extra linemans rope with the ropeman and wrap it around the tree as a tether.

The biggest problems I've had with the GW tether is I can't draw the bridge up close enough to the tree when I want to. I like keeping the tether at about eye level and being able to lean way back but some times I need to be able to shorten it to do things. The other problem is the GW tether makes a lot of noise when you try to slid it around the tree and it is bulky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back