• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Guido's Web Help or just basic 101

Tim Tripoli

Need some advice. I made my own tree tether with climbing rope and ropeman 1. I also bought a 24" climbing sling to use as a bridge on my web. I am having issues getting around the tree with out moving the tether and making noise. Do you guys stand up while holding the tether line and slide it? Or do you just have enough slack and let it wrap around the tree? I can get maybe 90 degree around the tree before I feel the tether pulling back. Not feeling like a ninja.

I also have difficult getting the web to slide on climbing sling bridge. Really not sure how hard you have to lean/shift to get this thing to move. That maybe exaggerating the issues with walking around the tree, because I am still facing the tree and not side into the tree. I lack the confidence to let the web slide/pivot in fear of going to far and not being able to get it to slide back using the 24" sling. Now I wondering if I should try the stock tether and bridge again. At least there I can only pivot so far.

And what about the foot work on the platform, I am using the the Ameristeps with boat buckle, how are you guys stepping around the tree. With size 12.5 boots those steps sure seem small. Or will that get better once I get comfortable changing the angle of web so I can move around the tree without facing the tree.

Sorry for all the complaints, but I really want to make this work and understand what I am doing wrong.

Tim

image.jpeg Tim, how high is your tether? If you put your tether up high above head level, it will give you more rope to be able to move. It doesn't affect comfort in any way and you won't have to move your tether to get around the tree.
As for the bridge, the stock bridge is very well made and thought out. The webbing loop in the center keeps you from over rotating to either side. I my opinion I don't see any benefit by replacing it with a sling.
Foot work on your steps comes with confidence in your equipment. When your comfortable with, and fully trust your equipment, walking around your steps is like walking on the ground. Give it time.

You can walk around the tree but the majority of guys don't, they lean. Multiple steps for a platform makes leverage easier to get into some stretched out shots

get in it in the back yard a couple feet off the ground and get that bridge sliding around. You will find it moves with you and returns to center as you do. There is no fall to one side with no hope of return....the upper side of you always has gravity to assist it in return to center

I use the tether that came with the Guido's web it works well if you have to move all the way around the tree. First thing you do is just grab it up top where is wrapped around the tree and just slide it around where you can position yourself around the tree. Go to Guido's web web page and watch the video on how he moves around the tree. I think that will help.

Had a better day on Saturday. Still struggling to move around the tree quietly and getting the saddle to pivot. Just not sure what I am doing wrong. Had a shot opportunity and blew by hitting the bottom of my bow on the bridge. But the good things is I saw deer, just wish they had antlers.

Anyone else have lots of pictures of bucks, go out and hunt and not see any. I mean I saved the spot I hunted on Saturday for weeks because I knew the bucks were traveling thru that area. Everything was perfect, wind, temp, and I climbed the tree in complete silence without breaking a sweat. Saw 7 doe but not one buck. Arghhhhh!!!!!

Had a better day on Saturday. Still struggling to move around the tree quietly and getting the saddle to pivot. Just not sure what I am doing wrong. Had a shot opportunity and blew by hitting the bottom of my bow on the bridge. But the good things is I saw deer, just wish they had antlers.

Anyone else have lots of pictures of bucks, go out and hunt and not see any. I mean I saved the spot I hunted on Saturday for weeks because I knew the bucks were traveling thru that area. Everything was perfect, wind, temp, and I climbed the tree in complete silence without breaking a sweat. Saw 7 doe but not one buck. Arghhhhh!!!!!

Sometimes you save an area and the food sources changes or the reason they are in the area changes and all of a sudden you are getting multiple 0 sighting sits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the stock bridge also, but like the idea of a rope tether. Teh stock one was noise IMO, & cumbersome. Mike

Back