• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Gumleaf boots

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
This is a comment on the customer service at https://www.gumleafusa.com
I'm in need of new knee high rubber boots and I wanted something higher quality and definitely not something made in China.
I recently saw a John Eberhart video where he speaks highly about Gumleaf boots so I decided to research them. Everything that I read made me believe these boots are top quality. But the size that I need is on backorder but I decided to try one size up, which did turn out to be slightly large for me.

I have to say that Jack at Gumleaf is incredible when it comes to attention and fast response to customer questions or concerns. He is so fast to answer emails and do whatever it takes to ensure customer satisfaction.
The only thing that I'm disappointed in is that the boots that I need to exchange are about a half size too large because I can't wait to try out Gumleaf boots.

If you are looking to buy from a small business that has lightning fast customer service, then look at Gumleaf. Looks like Infalt uses them too.

I second this. I bought a pair last year since my rubber boots were worn out. I saw them recommended by John Eberhart also. I called up Jack at Gumleaf and we talked for quite a while about sizing. He was very helpful. I bought a pair, and they are great. I got the Viking Tex and love them. These boots have about 80 to 85% rubber in them and are hand made in the UK. Most rubber boots today have about 20% rubber and the rest is filler. They are designed for upland bird hunting, so they are made to be walked in. Yeah, they are a bit pricey but if they last like they should it will be well worth it. Buy once, cry once. I also saw that Dan Infalt is now also using them as well.

I’m in need of a new pair. I never really wore knee highs because they felt sloppy but I believe these would be different so maybe I’ll put together some Christmas money and splurge.

What made you go with the model you both went with?

Are these boots legit? I don’t care what something costs if it’s good, I hate junk, exactly why I quit buying rubber boots years ago, the last pair of Lacrosse boots I had ripped in half taking them off one day, Lacrosse used to be my go to boots but I had enough of buying 2 pair a year and after hardly any use, years ago they would last for a couple seasons at least.

(429) boots part 2 - YouTube

Yes, in my opinion these are the real deal. They are made like boots used to be made before the bean counters decided to save money by dropping the rubber content and shipping manufacturing to countries with cheap labor.
I couldn’t agree with you more, that’s the whole problem with everything we buy today, people can’t grasp the concept of buying something of a better quality at a premium price that will last ten times longer, I do..

I’m in need of a new pair. I never really wore knee highs because they felt sloppy but I believe these would be different so maybe I’ll put together some Christmas money and splurge.

What made you go with the model you both went with?
I called up the owner and spoke at length with him about the different models and sizing. If I remember correctly, he said if I had normal size calves, I would not necessarily need the zippered gussets and recommended the Viking Tex model.

I heard good things about them. Then I have read some scary bad things about them like excessive dry rot and cracking. Apparently they won’t warranty them unless you buy their boot care dressing stuff at purchase? The stuff needs to be applied regularly.

@bigmike23 bought a pair. He was over the moon about them. I don’t see him recommending them anymore though.

I couldn’t agree with you more, that’s the whole problem with everything we buy today, people can’t grasp the concept of buying something of a better quality at a premium price that will last ten times longer, I do..
Don't forget @Topdog , not everyone can afford the high end stuff.

I heard good things about them. Then I have read some scary bad things about them like excessive dry rot and cracking. Apparently they won’t warranty them unless you buy their boot care dressing stuff at purchase? The stuff needs to be applied regularly.

@bigmike23 bought a pair. He was over the moon about them. I don’t see him recommending them anymore though.
They come with very clear instructions on how to care for them... Going on 3 years with my royal zips. I spray em down with the hose if they are excessively muddy, and spray them once or twice a year with grangers rubber boot care spray.

They come with very clear instructions on how to care for them... Going on 3 years with my royal zips. I spray em down with the hose if they are excessively muddy, and spray them once or twice a year with grangers rubber boot care spray.
Gives me hope and confidence. I know my Kenetreks wouldn’t have lasted as long as they have without the proper care and maintenance. I just want a rubber boot that is comfortable to walk it

Gives me hope and confidence. I know my Kenetreks wouldn’t have lasted as long as they have without the proper care and maintenance. I just want a rubber boot that is comfortable to walk it
They have much better soles and support than a regular pair of rubber boots. They use Vibram soles. Call and talk with the owner about sizing and fit. Also, since it had been brought up, ask about care and longevity.

Don't forget @Topdog , not everyone can afford the high end stuff.
It was painful for me to drop that sort of coin on a pair of rubber boots, but I was going through Lacrosse and Mucks like crazy. I do a lot of offseason scouting and I reasoned that if they last just 3 times longer than what I have been buying I will break even without the added aggravation of having a leaky boot and having to go to the store and buy another pair. A pair of green Lacross Burlys, for instance will be $120 easy (not a bad boot by the way and I have a pair.)

I guess my point is that if you scout a lot like I do then you will be parting with about the same money on rubber boots over time, it's just how and when you spend it.

I can't yet comment on their performance or durability but I can comment on the customer service. Jack really goes above and beyond.
I did purchase the Granger's boot care but I was a little skeptical that it would have a strong chemical odor but it doesn't have much of right out of the bottle (slight alcohol smell) but it dissipated quickly when I tested it on some old rubber boots. I'll be treating my Gumleaf as directed.

Are these boots legit? I don’t care what something costs if it’s good, I hate junk, exactly why I quit buying rubber boots years ago, the last pair of Lacrosse boots I had ripped in half taking them off one day, Lacrosse used to be my go to boots but I had enough of buying 2 pair a year and after hardly any use, years ago they would last for a couple seasons at least.
I've had two pair of LaCrosse. They last a year before coming apart. One pr leaked & they said the warranty was for a yr. WOW, thats only one season of about 3 months.

I don't wear them much anymore since I transitioned from swamp hunting to mountain hunting. I don't like them anyway lol. You're paying for the durability for sure but there's several things I personally don't like but others may like.
The sole in extremely thin, like flip flop thin. Climbing up sticks is painful and can easily feel the stick bite into your foot.
The rubber is too pliable for my taste as well. No rubber boot is gunna give your ankle much support but I found it much worse with these. I must have rolled my ankle 10 times with them. The gusset strap on top constantly comes loose on mine.
I can't wear them in anything but 50+ degree weather or my feet freeze.
I'd personally rather buy an alphaburly every couple of years I like it's design so much more.

I always get mixed emotions on gear and what, why, and who uses what.
I do a ton of research on anything im interested in purchasing.
I admit the past few years I’m a super skeptic about that stuff lol. Ive bitten the baited hook way to many times.
I heard of gumleaf a few years back when They actually contacted me through if I remember correctly email or pm message.
i forget how exactly we were connected but ,
They ended up offering me a pair a few years ago them to review.
a trail camera company called Dasoon is doing the same thing this past year.
Sadly when gumleaf contacted me I just bought a pair of another brand and i declined.
I know Dan , Johnny Carbon and a few other big youtube celebs get boots from them to wear every year. Im not sure if they sponsored or what.
Almost like John gets scentlok suits and mathews bows every few years.
Im sure they are great but, I very rarely use rubber boots.
If i do my 2 year old cabelas work just fine.
I guess if i was able to hunt and scout 7 days a week i would go through a few pairs of boots a year and the huge investment would be worth it.
Now comparing prices for things because i dont think gumleaf boots are cheap almost like sitka and first lite but again i just dont hunt and scout enough to make that kind of investment.
yet, lol i will invest a-lot on my equipment i stand sit or rely on to hold my big azz up in a tree.
just my few cents. I would probably invest more on what i wear if i could hunt more and would most likely go with a pair of gumleaf.

And I will counter with nobody can afford $100 rubber boots that self destruct in 6 months, regardless of economic status, I believe in buying better stuff that lasts and made here if at all possible.
I agree but only if you can afford to do that. Some people would have to save up to buy the cheap pair nowadays.

I don't wear them much anymore since I transitioned from swamp hunting to mountain hunting. I don't like them anyway lol. You're paying for the durability for sure but there's several things I personally don't like but others may like.
The sole in extremely thin, like flip flop thin. Climbing up sticks is painful and can easily feel the stick bite into your foot.
The rubber is too pliable for my taste as well. No rubber boot is gunna give your ankle much support but I found it much worse with these. I must have rolled my ankle 10 times with them. The gusset strap on top constantly comes loose on mine.
I can't wear them in anything but 50+ degree weather or my feet freeze.
I'd personally rather buy an alphaburly every couple of years I like it's design so much more.
Can't argue with a this since I have really changed up the way I use footwear in the last year or two. Rubber boots are great for scouting in the swamps, but I have found none of them are great for hill country. I also have a pair of hip waders for deep water. I have gone to a dedicated hiking waterproof boot for hunting the hills and use the rubber boots primarily for scouting. If I know I am going to be crossing significant water, I will wear the Gumleafs and carry a heavy pair of wool socks for warmth. I also sit about 95% in the saddle, so my feet don't take the brunt of the weight during my hunts even though I use a ring of steps.

Back