• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Halo rangefinders

Kmarks

Anyone use Halo rangefinders? If you do, how are they?

I am looking for a good rangefinder that won't break the bank. It will be used just for whitetail hunting.

I went with the Vortex 850, while 200 is a tad "expensive" vortex has a no questions asked warranty program. I sent them some Binos that were left in a wet pack too long causing the eye pads to come off, and they fixed them for free (only had to pay to ship them). If you look at it that way 200 and I have a range finder for life.

I have the same story as @SouthernTierHunter I have the 850 and bought it because of the warranty. I have sent in two different pairs of binos with the no questions asked warranty. You can't beat no questions asked and they send it back fixed. The only thing I don't like about the range finder is sometimes the red display is a little hard to see in bright areas.

I have the Sig Kilo 2000. I just looked up how much I paid for it and almost puked. It is very nice though. The ability to hold and scan is awesome for both real long ranging and ranging through brush. The auto dimming red display works great as well.

I looked at the Halo rangefinders when I was shopping around for them (2 or 3 years ago?). I wasn't impressed but I don't remember why now. I have a Bushnell Truth edition with clearshot. I forget what I paid for it. I like it. I think it is important to get a rangefinder with the angle compensation if you bowhunt, especially if you hunt in hilly areas. I don't really use the clearshot feature much. All that does is show a line at the maximum height of the trajectory of your arrow. Supposed to keep you from hitting branches at the top of the arrow arc. Two things that I don't like but can live with: 1. black LCD is hard to see in low light. 2. In heavy cover it is hard to know exactly which tree you're ranging. This range finder may not be better than others, but it fine for me. I think Vortex is probably the best. I had another Bushnell before this one and it served me well for many years. I thought I'd give them another try. Hope that helps.

I was on the edge of buying a Halo from Ebay and dithering because the price seemed ridiculously low vs all other well-reviewed range finders.

About that time Rogers Sporting Goods ( https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/optics/rangefinders.html ) ran a really good sale on a Bushnell G-Force ARC that brought it close enough down to the Halo price range that it was worth paying a bit more for a name I trusted better. If you watch, there's decent sales from time to time.

What was important to me was the led lit range number, not just black superimposed on the view. The Bushnell has red text which was way more readable in low-light.

I was on the edge of buying a Halo from Ebay and dithering because the price seemed ridiculously low vs all other well-reviewed range finders.

About that time Rogers Sporting Goods ( https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/optics/rangefinders.html ) ran a really good sale on a Bushnell G-Force ARC that brought it close enough down to the Halo price range that it was worth paying a bit more for a name I trusted better. If you watch, there's decent sales from time to time.

What was important to me was the led lit range number, not just black superimposed on the view. The Bushnell has red text which was way more readable in low-light.

That's a good price on that Simmons in the link you posted. I have had my Simmons for years and have had no problems with it.

Back