• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Hanging climbing sticks

Thobbs

I just ordered my lone wolf sticks on the 4th of July sale. For the guys that use sticks how are you carrying them up the tree to where you can grab the next one to hang it? Or is it better to leave them on the ground and climb back down to get the next one? Thinking about ordering an alps pack with the rifle holder to carry them in with just trying to figure the best method of hanging them with. Thanks for any advice.

To me, having a lot of straight trees available, sticks make little sense compared to a climber if I can't go up in one trip.

I have paracord loops on my saddle approx 2" diameter on the back of each hip. I hang a stick in each one simply putting the step through the loop. I could go more deluxe but the simplicity has worked well for me. One time in probably 100 climbs I got a little contorted and dropped a stick.

The "climbing-with-loose-sticks" part is one more reason I hate the things. It's the main reason why I prefer a 3 stick rig as opposed to a 4 stick rig. With 3 sticks I can set the 1st one when I unpack and then I only have 2 more to deal with. I have an Amsteel loop on each side of my saddle to hook the stand offs into as I climb. It works pretty well.

As far as climbing back down to get the other sticks, I don't think its a good system and here's why...
If you are hunting out of trees with branches like a lot of us prefer, then you need to manage double lineman belts repeatedly. Up, down...up, down...up, down and each time you need to do and undo lineman belts. More time, more movement, more potential noise, more sweat.
And as discussed in another thread, unlike most guys, I do place importance on getting up the tree as quickly as possible. Goofing around with gear before and during the climb will eventually cost you shot opportunities. I want to get up the tree as efficiently and safely as possible while doing so quietly.

There was another thread about camo vs drab colors. In that thread, a few of us said we like camo because we want to hide from competing hunters, more so than for hiding from deer. The more times you climb up and down the tree to retrieve and set sticks, the more chance that another hunter will see your tree and they get curious. I avoid curious hunters.

To me, having a lot of straight trees available, sticks make little sense compared to a climber if I can't go up in one trip.

I have paracord loops on my saddle approx 2" diameter on the back of each hip. I hang a stick in each one simply putting the step through the loop. I could go more deluxe but the simplicity has worked well for me. One time in probably 100 climbs I got a little contorted and dropped a stick.
I’m assuming when your climbing back down after your hunt when you undo the the top two sticks you just clip them back into the paracord loops till you get back on the ground.

Back