• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

HangN30 Contour Edge Step review

Exhumis

SH Member
Edit:
Added a link to the test kit.
So some questions have been asked about these steps with not much know about them. I decided to take the plunge and bought some as I recently have decided to try out a RoS style platform. The steps are made of Kydex and are 4.5” tall with the step top surface 3 inches in depth so it sticks out past the side of the tree 3”. Mark, the owner of HangN30 elected to make them 3" in depth because of how wide most soles of boots are. The step is 1” wide from outside edge to outside edge and the strap slot is a standard 1”. The steps are black in color. The recess is cut into the tree side of the step to allow the standoffs to bite into the tree better. The thickness of the step wall is 1/4". The website lists a 300lb weight limit. I asked about that and Mark said it's based on the strap limits and not the step limits. He said the material and strap placement were specifically placed and have in upwards of 1000psi tinsel strength-full disclosure he did say he hasn't had them tested which I can appreciate. You can squeeze the walls inward but it does require pressure to do so. Shipping was fast, the website says allow for a couple weeks but I ordered and had my steps in a few days. They don't come with a strap but to me that's not a big deal as I have a bunch of strap laying around.
I decided to test two of the steps alongside some other "platforms" that I have never used to see which one I would like the best. I normally rock a RR and knew if I threw that on the tree I would be tempted to return to it, so this was survival of the fittest.....er, most comfortable platform. Also in the testing were some treehopper steps and an angled scout solo platform. I tested them with a cam over buckle and an OCB buckle. They stack really nicely, I was able to fit all 6 inside a standard dump pouch with room for activities. Be advised I'm only using them as a platform and not climbing steps, YMMV and you might need a larger pouch.
I elected to test these in the morning as the fiddle factor tends to play a large part in hanging things like these. I was also interested to see how loud they would be when smacked together in the cold. I selected a basketball sized oak and started up. I climb either 2TC or 1 stick and today decided on 1 Stick as it's the climbing method I'm the weakest with. I intentionally wanted to make this difficult. I threw two treehopper steps on the strap along with the 2 HangN30s and once I was at hunting height got to work. Strapping them to the tree was no more difficult than any other step I felt, actually their orientation kinda helped as their shape kept them upright. Much easier than Bullmans. Cinching them down was easy as was placement around the tree. I left the generous space in the middle as I was also trying out the scout. Had I not had the scout I would have deployed more steps. While hanging them and placing them on the tree I banged them together and they did make a kinda of hollow CLONK sound as I figured they would, not too bad but noticeable. A person might want to stealth strip theirs as I will be mine soon. Once they were set I hung out until light and put them through the ringer.
First impression: very comfortable. Color me surprised. I thought for sure they wouldn't be but they were. I wear as size 13 boot and had no issues getting my boots on them. I suspect if you were to play a couple right in front of you you could stand on them toe to tree but I don't think that would be comfortable for very long just cause our boots tend to be long. But running them like a standard RoS and standing on either side was no issue. The step serrations grip the sole well and I had no issues with slippage. They stick out from the tree about the same amount as any other step but somehow it feels like more. Now of the big question everyone is asking, do they move? The answer is NO. I kicked them with a full on SWAT THIS IS THE GOVERNMENT AND WE'RE HERE TO HELP style kick and they wouldn't budge. The only way I got one to move was to literally swing out from the tree and full on Batman style swing into the step full force and even then it only moved a little, you can see the bark scuff in the pictures. And even when it did move it moved laterally, as in along the strap and did not rotate like most RoS style steps do. These things were super secure. I never really like RoS because the first ones I had were Bullmans(i'm not starting a war, this is one mans impression, if you love them good for you) and no matter how tight I got them they moved on the tree. These did not move for me. I found myself rotating around the tree like many folks do and which i've never done and found I liked it. The steps gripped and were much more comfortable than I thought they would be. I've used a few different styles of tree steps and these are my favorite so far. Some folks have mentioned they are expensive. Yeah, compared to other brands they are. But I also figure it's a one man band trying to start up a biz and i'm ok with that. They aren't ridiculously expensive but might make most folks think twice. Anyway, that's my impression of them, feel free to fire away with the questions.
here’s a link to a test kit:
IMG_5152.PNGIMG_5153.PNGIMG_5154.PNGIMG_5155.PNGIMG_5156.PNG

Last edited:
Thanks for the in-depth review. Good info.

My question - how well do they stack when they’re on a strap? For instance, 4 steps on a single ROS strap stacked for travel. Thanks.

Thanks for the in-depth review. Good info.

My question - how well do they stack when they’re on a strap? For instance, 4 steps on a single ROS strap stacked for travel. Thanks.
Hmm that I don’t know cuz I didn’t try it. Guess I should have. If you kept the strap loose they would probably nest pretty well and make a cube like shape. I guess it would depend on the pouch. Here’s two pics (strap not mounted) with a Dano ocb nested, and four steps nested together with nested Dano strap inside a Blackhawk Strike Gen 4 molle utility pouch. In this configuration they measure 9”L x 4”D x 3”W. If you flip the other two steps over and relocate the strap you can nest the other two inside the four. I got all 6 inside the below pouch plus strap no problem. For mounted strap tho I’m not sure3DD55733-A802-4AF8-BB98-760293EB191A.png7F3A2E68-505B-49F9-893B-660A4140CDBD.png

Nice job on the review. I have never even heard of these before. Glad to see no cattle at the base of the tree too. lol.

Hmm that I don’t know cuz I didn’t try it. Guess I should have. If you kept the strap loose they would probably nest pretty well and make a cube like shape. I guess it would depend on the pouch. Here’s two pics (strap not mounted) with a Dano ocb nested, and four steps nested together with nested Dano strap inside a Blackhawk Strike Gen 4 molle utility pouch. In this configuration they measure 9”L x 4”D x 3”W. If you flip the other two steps over and relocate the strap you can nest the other two inside the four. I got all 6 inside the below pouch plus strap no problem. For mounted strap tho I’m not sureView attachment 58125View attachment 58126
Well I promise I’m not a total knuckledragger, just mostly a knuckledragger. I should have taken pics before with strap on, so here you go. With the strap threaded they’re a bit difficult to stack, they don’t nest as well but it can be done. Strap removed they nest easier but also there is nothing to hold them together so they jostle a bit. If’n one was to play around a bit you could get them to work out. I’ll prolly run mine unthreaded as I can nest them in a pouch. They’d prolly fit in a DanO pouch or mystery ranch or CGM pouch pretty good. That’s a DanO OCB in the pics btw for reference. CEF2F7BA-E1D7-4648-B27F-E059F02B1B0A.png96F88725-E680-483A-B780-71DAF2941F62.png10A9AC26-CD83-451F-AF82-BDB28F2A746E.png41786643-38EA-481E-9C38-39247D61934E.png

Well I promise I’m not a total knuckledragger, just mostly a knuckledragger. I should have taken pics before with strap on, so here you go. With the strap threaded they’re a bit difficult to stack, they don’t nest as well but it can be done. Strap removed they nest easier but also there is nothing to hold them together so they jostle a bit. If’n one was to play around a bit you could get them to work out. I’ll prolly run mine unthreaded as I can nest them in a pouch. They’d prolly fit in a DanO pouch or mystery ranch or CGM pouch pretty good. That’s a DanO OCB in the pics btw for reference. View attachment 58134View attachment 58135View attachment 58136View attachment 58137

That doesn’t look too bad!

Can I get a 3 sentence summary on those steps :joycat: they look good, but I’m also curious on how they stack with a strap. I’d assume they dont?
Lol ok, it was a bit long winded. Let’s see if I can come up with a haiku.
For what they are they are a bit expensive but it’s also a small biz so there’s that. Their unique shape helps them grip and hold onto the tree really well, and they are surprisingly comfortable. I’m impressed by them! How’s that?

Lol ok, it was a bit long winded. Let’s see if I can come up with a haiku.
For what they are they are a bit expensive but it’s also a small biz so there’s that. Their unique shape helps them grip and hold onto the tree really well, and they are surprisingly comfortable. I’m impressed by them! How’s that?

Haha thanks man! They look good! Thanks for taking the plunge for the rest of us!

Bin eying these .love the desighn.cant stack anthing smaller than that.sept a 2 tether made of amsteel.dont care what they cost after you climb a 100 trees wit em .thanks for the time man. I can't text that much

Hey folks,
I just threw my set up for sale in the classifieds. Absolutely love them and if I was going to run a RoS these would be in my bag. I’m a platform guy tho no matter how hard I try I keep going back to them so that’s what I’m sticking with.

When the steps are strapped to the tree, does the top of step form a greater than 90 degree angle to the trunk? Or it just seems that way in the pictures?

I’d say 90 degrees. Perhaps if you were sitting on an angled tree maybe then but mine were @ a 90. Obviously not on a tree but this is almost exactly how I’ve had them deployed and the step was almost a perfect 90 degrees.
C1FD2901-5BC4-4DA3-B970-5E3D897AB16F.png

Not sure but they look to be pretty sweet
They look big though.
are they carbon? Or whats the make.
treehopper steps snd the small aluminum squirrel ros is imho for me the best.

Back