• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Harness with sit drag thoughts

Cody Walker

To get into saddle hunting this year, I had to do it on a tight budget. I decided to use my old muddy safety harness with the sit drag. My question is, could I cut the suspender type straps that go over my shoulders off and just use it as a belt with leg straps? I dont think that it will cause any disadvantages in the case of a fall but wondering your thoughts.

I cut mine off and thought it was a great decision. They really got in the way. I feel very comfortable having a good fitting belt w/ 2 cinching, rated leg loops. Shoulder straps were too much going on for me.

Sell the harness and buy a used gym style harness off eBay for ~25 lousy bucks.

I cut mine off and thought it was a great decision. They really got in the way. I feel very comfortable having a good fitting belt w/ 2 cinching, rated leg loops. Shoulder straps were too much going on for me.
I feel like they are useless and in the way. But want more practice in before i decide for sure. And to see what other guys did.

I am also using a muddy harness and want to cut the top and leave the bottom half. I can say if you slide the bottom half down below your waist where you're basically sitting in it (to do this the top cant be on your shoulders) its much more comfortable and removes the hip pinch. I also want to leave the leg straps for added safety and feel like this with a back band will be perfect for the time being.

Edit to note- YOU SHOULDN'T SLIDE OUT IN A FALL SITUATION WITH THE BELT STRAPPED AROUND YOUR WAIST.

Black Warrior M A requires a full body harness and I'm sure other wma do also, when you cut the top half you lose the full body style.

I would make sure you're not cutting through stitching of any kind, but I fail to see how cutting off shoulder straps would change a full body harness in to anything other than a RCH essentially. You'll still have a good waist strap and two strong leg loops. It's going to be safer than any commercial saddle w/ G hook leg loops. IMO

Last edited:
I’m leaning this way on the subject and was planning to cut well above the stitching and melt the ends so they wouldn’t Fray but realize anytime you alter something anything can happen. It’s still multiple Straps the size of a traditional tree strap you would hook your harness to.

Back