• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Have buying question

Nick Grider

i wanna start saddle hunting. I have an opportunity to buy a trophyline for 200 bucks off Craigslist. Should I buy the trophyline or spend the extra 150 on the new aero hunter. I've never been in a saddle in my life so any info is helpful. Thanks.

Buy the kestrel saddle only and build your own tether/lineman.

Buy the kestrel saddle only and build your own tether/lineman.

Yeah? I'm not familiar with climbing at all, is there some good threads you could point me to that shows the proper knots? I've got the linemans belt. And the 'tether' is the bridge correct?

Yeah? I'm not familiar with climbing at all, is there some good threads you could point me to that shows the proper knots? I've got the linemans belt. And the 'tether' is the bridge correct?
No, the bridge is not the tether. The tether is basically like a linemans belt that strps around the tree to connect the bridge to. If you buy the kestrel, the bridge comes with it.

I wish the kestrel was available when I was in your situation. I have bought 5 different Trophylines since Feb lol. I know have only 1 leather TL and I do love it. But I also have the kestrel coming in 2 days! If I could have bought a brand new product like the kestrel from the start, I would have. I did not like the complexity of the aero hunter, the kestrel is the way to go. And being a newbie, I dont think buying the full kit is a bad idea, but you will probably end up building your own tether and LB in the long run.
Sorry @huck72412 !

I wish the kestrel was available when I was in your situation. I have bought 5 different Trophylines since Feb lol. I know have only 1 leather TL and I do love it. But I also have the kestrel coming in 2 days! If I could have bought a brand new product like the kestrel from the start, I would have. I did not like the complexity of the aero hunter, the kestrel is the way to go. And being a newbie, I dont think buying the full kit is a bad idea, but you will probably end up building your own tether and LB in the long run.
Sorry @huck72412 !

So could I use one of my lifeline ropes as a tether?

I'm sorry, I misread your post and thought you said you've "been" in a saddle your whole life (we gets lots of guys who have been climbing recreationally!)

In that case I'd recommend that you just purchase the kit from new tribe. Tying the knots for the tether and lineman's belt are not hard at all, but for a first time user I always think it is good to have hands on that stuff professionally first before you move into doing it yourself.

I am saying buy the full kit and down the road you will end up building your own.

But to answer your question, or what I think is your question .... you 100% need a separate linemans belt and tether. You are attached by LB while installing the tether, then once you are connected via tether, then take off LB. But always stay attached to the tree, all the time.

I asked the same questions before I ordered my Kestrel. I was told that yes you could use an HSS or other brand of lifeline as your tether. I originally ordered just the Kestrel saddle and I was going to use an HSS lifeline as my tether and an HSS linemans belt as my climbing belt. I ended up upgrading my order to the full kit, I don't really know why other than I just said "screw it" and decided to spend the extra money.

If the full kit is out of your price range and you already have a lifeline and linesman belt you can use them.

I say all this as someone who has never even sat in a saddle, its just from the resarch I did prior to ordering mine. My Kestrel is scheduled to be delivered today.

I agree with @justsomedude. You can use some of that stuff.... BUT the stuff new tribe sells or that you can make on your own for less money will be much safer and of higher quality. Since we have gotten so in depth into some of this equipment and techniques, I look at stuff on the hunting market and I can't believe some of the junk they are selling!!

I agree here, full kestrel kit and you will be all setup. Its price makes it totally worth it.

The HSS stuff that I had was junk. Bad rope, boat anchor carabiner, and not cheap.

It probably is junk and that's why I went ahead and ordered the full kit but, for someone that already has an HSS lifeline laying around the cost is exactly $0.00.

What I did was order just the saddle for $225. Then I called a few days later and upgraded to the full kit. For some reason it was easier to convince myself that $225 for a saddle wasn't bad and then later convince myself that $108 wasn't bad to upgrade the kit, than it was to convince myself to spend $333 on something I wasn't sure I would like. :confused2:

I have been saddle hunting a long time and I bought the Kestrel full kit it's the best saddle I have ever used and it is very well made. I would highly recommend the Kestrel.

I asked the same questions before I ordered my Kestrel. I was told that yes you could use an HSS or other brand of lifeline as your tether. I originally ordered just the Kestrel saddle and I was going to use an HSS lifeline as my tether and an HSS linemans belt as my climbing belt. I ended up upgrading my order to the full kit, I don't really know why other than I just said "screw it" and decided to spend the extra money.

If the full kit is out of your price range and you already have a lifeline and linesman belt you can use them.

I say all this as someone who has never even sat in a saddle, its just from the resarch I did prior to ordering mine. My Kestrel is scheduled to be delivered today.

You can definitely use HSS stuff as a tether and lineman belt. I use those ropes and have been for years. Sure, it's not as heavy duty as some other options like Assault line or Samson Predator, but it will no doubt do what it's designed to do.

Back