• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Having trouble getting Repel line out of tree

MBH

Dec 26, 2018
Repel line out of tree I’m using para cord for the pull down line it keeps getting hung on limbs and Anything it can I end up climbing back up and getting the line out of the tree doesn’t make much sense to repel. Having no trouble repeling it feels really safe I’m just having a lot of problems with getting the mainline back out of the tree any help will be appreciated thank you !! Straight trees have been no problem

Reactions: bj139

Wyatt_burp

Jul 1, 2019
Hook into your loop, take three big steps away from tree before you pull, don't set it down in the crotch of a split.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MBH and bj139

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
I just attach it to the end loop and leave it there. Haven't had any problems since, including over tight forks.

Last edited:

MBH

Dec 26, 2018
I’m ready to try anything I thought maybe a heavier para cord might work also ?? hooking into the loop does make more sense everyone else said the hook behind the knot hooking right into the link may be the answer

Razorbak66

Oct 17, 2019
This is what I did yesterday I had a lightweight climbing ring which weighs less than the tri link and clip a metal carabiner to it and used 7/64” amsteel which does not tangle like paracord and packs easier and a lot stronger. Step back a few feet and give a yank and bam comes down lickity split. Now you don’t need the ring just clip to front of knot. I just did it cause I had it

Attachments

• DBBF67AE-4221-4C86-8FFE-66A1A6110C8D.jpeg
    DBBF67AE-4221-4C86-8FFE-66A1A6110C8D.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: MightyOwl

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
I’m ready to try anything I thought maybe a heavier para cord might work also ?? hooking into the loop does make more sense everyone else said the hook behind the knot hooking right into the link may be the answer
The problem with behind the loop is you can pull down the end WITHOUT the knot. Then you have to pull the knot through a crotch which often does not fit.

zurr4013

SH Member
Jul 28, 2020
Indiana
Yeah I tried behind the knot too and the link was still catching in forks and such so I moved it to the link and had better success.

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
I have had to pull pretty hard on the paracord putting most of my weight on it. I figure if it is 550 paracord I can not break it with my weight. I use gloves.

onestringer

SH Member
Aug 28, 2018
Here is what I use. It works much much much better than para cord.

Reactions: MBH

Wyatt_burp

Jul 1, 2019
Straight tree no branches i hook behind loop, if there are branches i hook the loop, once i get to bottom i untie my stopper knot at the bottom, three steps away from tree and pull straight towards myself.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JCLINE84

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
When I had a rope stuck, I have had to throw a throwbag over the crotch from knot end to non knot end then tie the throwline to the non knot end and pull that end over the crotch. Since tying into the loop no problem and my pull down line stays tied onto the loop for months with no removal. It is my pack pull up line as well. A little bit of untangling is sometimes necessary at the tree but I will accept that for having only one assembly to deal with.

heretic

SH Member
Aug 18, 2018
Missouri
I've always hooked my pull down line between the quick link and the tree: the furthest point on the tag end of the rope while still being within the circle of the girth hitch. On limbless trees one quick tug will bring the whole thing down to the ground.

On gnarly trees the tag end of the rope follows my rappel path through the tree, once the rope reaches me I continue to pull the tag end out of the quick link and then pull the quick link out through that same path.

One word of caution though if your scaffold/poachers knot to your link has a substantial tail I would recommend taping it down so it doesn't get hung up in crotches of the tree. I solved this problem by splicing a tight eye around my quick link instead. Much smoother and zero hangups.

Reactions: onestringer

kenn1320

Sep 15, 2015
red beard attaches back a little from the delta link. I messed around with placement of mine at ground level and found it worked best back a bit like he has his. Ill be bummed my first climb if it wont come down. lol

Reactions: Red Beard

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
red beard attaches back a little from the delta link. I messed around with placement of mine at ground level and found it worked best back a bit like he has his. Ill be bummed my first climb if it wont come down. lol
When I had my rope stuck it was getting dark and I had a long walk out. I thought about leaving it and coming back with another rope in the morning but I figured out about throwing the throwball over the fork the other way and got it out. I threw the throw ball in the dark with a headlamp and it seemed about as easy as in daylight.

zurr4013

SH Member
Jul 28, 2020
Indiana
I carry a spare tether for when im at height and for cases like that. I have climbed to the stuck rope, freed it, then used it to rappel from the new height down and try again.

bj139

Jun 13, 2019
SE PA
I carry a spare tether for when im at height and for cases like that. I have climbed to the stuck rope, freed it, then used it to rappel from the new height down and try again.
I was climbing SRT so I needed a rope to climb. I had a backup tether but no stick. Besides, I'm not trying a climbing method in the dark that I haven't done much. The throwball is safer and it worked great..

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
Here how I got it rigged up.....I haven't had any problems with it being difficult to get down yet... Unless I forget to move the stopper knot

I don't pull with my hands....I take the pull rope and pull it tight and wrap it around my butt, hold it tight, and sit down....butt and thighs do the pull and ur hand just holds the rope so no digging into ur hand

Screenshot_20201013-185252(1).png

Reactions: Red Beard and bj139

kenn1320

Sep 15, 2015
Here how I got it rigged up.....I haven't had any problems with it being difficult to get down yet... Unless I forget to move the stopper knot

I don't pull with my hands....I take the pull rope and pull it tight and wrap it around my butt, hold it tight, and sit down....butt and thighs do the pull and ur hand just holds the rope so no digging into ur hand

View attachment 36832
This is similar to red beard attachment point. I tried it tonight in a skinny oak and thankfully it was only about 10ft up. Had hell of a time getting it down multiple times.