• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Headlamp, Flashlight Or Nothing At All?

Headlamp, Flashlight or No Light At All How Do You Enter Or Leave Your Stand In The Dark

• I Always Use A Flashlight In The Dark

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Headlamp For Me With A White Light

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • Headlamp For Me With A Colored Light

Votes: 50 58.8%
  • What? I Don't Need No Stinking Light

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can navigate just fine in the dark but I always use a headlamp for safely . You never know when someone may shoot at a noise thinking its a deer.

It really depends on the situation.
There is nothing worse than wearing a white light headlamp if bugs are still an issue. Its a sure fire way to get bugs in the eye.
Cooler weather, I like a red head lamp but I dont always wear it on my head.
With any light, I try to keep it dim and close to the ground. I'm hiding from deer, but more importantly, I'm hiding from other hunters.

I learned without a light. Tried to use a light, found it very difficult so I went back to no light.

Headlamps for me. I’ll use both the white (closer to the truck) and colored settings depending on where I am.

I would never walk in to or from my stand in the low light or dark purely for safety reasons....I don't want to get shot by mistake....
Especially on public. It’s amazing just how brown blaze orange looks I’m really low light. I’m rarely heading in or out in low light but when I do I turn my headlamp on even if I can see fine to walk. I use my red light most of the time but if I’m walking across or on the edge of a field or clear cut it’s white light during low light hours. Red light doesn’t show up well at distance in low light unless they are looking at the bulb. When it’s dark I use the red light and feel that my ability to avoid sticks and climb quietly outweighs the chance I might spook a deer.

Green or red headlamp... My personal preference the light in those colors that clip to the baseball brim hat .. keeps the light a little further out ahead of the eyes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I voted for no light because I try my best to not use one and that option seemed to fit me best. I guess I kinda feel like its a little bit of a failure on my part if I have to use it... not totally sure why but that's how I feel. I always have one on me though but use it as little as possible.

I had cataracts removed in the last couple of years. One thing the Doc didn't tell me was, these replacement lenses were gonna kill my night vision! So I absolutely have to have a light of some kind now. That being said I usually used one before anyway. I use a Cabela's LED headlamp and keep it on the green setting while walking in and out. I do however have a handheld for "just in case" ie. crossing creeks and of course tracking. And I think it adds a level of safety when I'm on public.

I try to use as little light as possible. Some hunts depending on moon light and the woods I can make it in with no light. Other days just a red light works but on the days with no moon or cloudy skies I use a green light.

Back