• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Helium’s

Dale

Has anyone tried eliminating the Versa button or bracket and the buckle and just using the slots of the I beam to hang the helium stick? Seems like it would work to me or is there a fear not enough metal?

See picture. I do not have the strap on the Versa button.

Attachments

• 6DB3113F-DE1A-412F-ABBC-06A39974B8CA.png
    6DB3113F-DE1A-412F-ABBC-06A39974B8CA.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I personally wouldn't want to try to thread the strap through the slot while trying to climb

Terrible idea in my opinion

Definitely rolling the dice with ur safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no engineer but that little 1/8" sliver of aluminum is not going to hold very much weight before it blows out. If you're set on this cross it over so the beam is supporting the connection point. Still seems to me that threading the webbing through that little slot is more hassle than benefit but I could be wrong.

I have tried removing the buckle and just wrapping the end of the strap around the Versa button according to the approved rope wrapping method and it worked fine. The strap was not long enough on a few trees I tried. The buckle adds another ~6 inches of length. I used the buckles today in the woods. What advantage does your method of using the slots have over the Versa button? The button would distribute the forces over a wider area.

Trying to pack tighter eliminating more ounces and simply cutting out excess if not needed. I was just staring at the stick and wondering if it could be simpler

If you are just trying to cut weight, I followed @denots and others and cut mine down to 15" and drilled the offsets to use the same bolts as the steps to eliminate 2 bolts and nuts and stack better. I also shortened the versa buttons so they do not touch and use 7/64 daisy chain. My 3 are now 5.4lbs total and can get over 20 ft using knaider/swaider.

John H., Hickory, NC

Keep your nose to the wind, and your eyes along the skyline.

If you are just trying to cut weight, I followed @denots and others and cut mine down to 15" and drilled the offsets to use the same bolts as the steps to eliminate 2 bolts and nuts and stack better. I also shortened the versa buttons so they do not touch and use 7/64 daisy chain. My 3 are now 5.4lbs total and can get over 20 ft using knaider/swaider.

John H., Hickory, NC

I’m doing these exact same mods but using 1/4” amsteel as rope mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put lonewolf versa buttons on mine with lonewolf straps. Works way better than original straps and packs way better.

i cut mine to 22 inches, made my own versa buttons (older model set of sticks), and i use the webbing to tie the buckleless knot. i would NOT tie mine in the slots. the versa button would be way faster than threading through those slots.

drilled the offsets to use the same bolts as the steps to eliminate 2 bolts and nuts and stack better..

Do you have any pics to show this? Trying to picture what you are referring to

Do you have any pics to show this? Trying to picture what you are referring to
It is not easy lining up and drilling the holes on the offsets. Highly recommend using a drill press for that part.
1545b2f42dd786b773e84df8da4c5b9b.jpg
b25b99840d3b7f726cf10232a9c41727.jpg

John H., Hickory, NC

Couldn't resist tweaking some more! Ran out for lunch and got 1" fender washers and new bolts and spacers to try instead of LW. They aren't least easier with the daisy chain, will test a bit and confirm.
753c940a8dca362a7ef06ca4ab759f24.jpg

John H., Hickory, NC

John H., Hickory, NC

John if I may ask how tall are you? I would like to get 3 sticks cut down to that and get that weight but was afraid that If i did I couldn’t get to 20’.

I'm 5' 10", but the real limiting factor for any climbing stick or step is how high you can attach it to the tree. Minus NBA height guys, most of us will limit out around +/- 7 ft. The aider(s) simply fill the gap from the ground to the stick or between the sticks at that max height and allow us to get to the top step of each one.

John H., Hickory, NC

Back