• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Helmets

Jay_Disarray

SH Member
So i watch a bit of arborist, tree climbing and rock climbing videos and often times safety videos come up. One thing they always mention is that they wear helmets or some sort of head protection, which got me thinking, in all of the videos and discussions specifically for saddle hunting, i dont know that i have ever seen one person wearing a safety helmet. Why is that?
Falls happen, its inevitable at some point. In the woods in particular i purposely avoid climbing a part of a tree where there is a stump or branches on the ground where if i do fall could impale me. But protecting my head and brain is something i have given so little thought to.

Do any of you hunters ever wear a helmet while climbing?

We're not falling trees or climbing up loose rock that could fall on our heads. Before climbing up, I usually check for dead limbs but other than that I don't forsee myself wearing a helmet in the whitetail woods. Not saying you couldn't smack your head in a slip, but I'll take my chances.

Helmets in Rock climbing are generally built for above impact, i.e. falling debris or rock.

I can see it now - introducing the new Tethrd Telmet for $100!
a07d082604d82994725538b676cb3905.jpg

Helmets in Rock climbing are generally built for above impact, i.e. falling debris or rock.

right, they are primarily used for overhead objects, but even the people who are just into tree climbing often wear helmets. they do offer something between your head banging off a rock or something. or a person swinging down in a fall banging against the tree itself

If you wear a helmet you should add a flack jacket. Stay safe on public land.
being shot at is not fun man

right, they are primarily used for overhead objects, but even the people who are just into tree climbing often wear helmets. they do offer something between your head banging off a rock or something. or a person swinging down in a fall banging against the tree itself

being shot at is not fun man
Agreed. If I never get shot at or stabbed again ill be happy.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Do any of you hunters ever wear a helmet while climbing?

There are a few hunters that do. I wear an older version of this helmet. Mine was originally yellow so it's painted camo. So many years of wearing a helmet doing tree work it doesn't seem out of place to climb with one now.

There are a few hunters that do. I wear an older version of this helmet. Mine was originally yellow so it's painted camo. So many years of wearing a helmet doing tree work it doesn't seem out of place to climb with one now.

I bought a used Vertex helmet on Ebay a while ago figuring I would mount a camera to it but I haven't used it since.

It’s deer hunting, not an extreme sport, or cutting limbs off of trees. Just climb to 15, 20, 25 feet and hunt. I used to hunt out of a wooden stand I built from scrap wood I found in a dumpster. Saddle hunting should be simple, don’t overthink it.

86bc68073c49790eb58d3d42f24665a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s deer hunting, not an extreme sport, or cutting limbs off of trees. Just climb to 15, 20, 25 feet and hunt. I used to hunt out of a wooden stand I built from scrap wood I found in a dumpster. Saddle hunting should be simple, don’t overthink it.

86bc68073c49790eb58d3d42f24665a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree 100% and not to talk crap about anyone here because i know we are all tinkerers and diy guys and gear heads but this forum overthinks everything in a bad way.

a few years ago i had a bullet hit somewhere within 15yds of me, the noise it made was crazy.

This is why I hunt elevated during gun season. I’ve seen bullet trails as they rip through tree branches.

Last year a local got shot on permission private in the head and neck by a guy flintlock hunting for turkey. How the heck that happens says alot about some folks hunting practices.

On the other hand, there’s guys on here carrying extra medical gear to potentially help out other hunters who get hurt.

I don’t see myself wearing a helmet, but a couple years ago I had a huge tree collapse in front of me. It was surreal how it folded on top of itself like an accordion. I‘ve experienced a couple earthquakes and the tremor of the ground as it fell was on par. Had it fell my way I’d have been in trouble, and might have been thankful for a helmet.

Back