• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Help building layered hunting setup

danielvalencia95

SH Member
Hello all I am new here just got my saddle back in February, but with the introduction of a lightweight way to get out there i am intending on upgrading my camo, I recently got merino wool baselayers from camofire, in all weights they had. I need help knowing where to go from here. Thanks for any help you can give!

So, where you live will help dictate direction. The usual guidance would be have an insulating layer and a wind/waterproof outer layer. Some people like to combine those, some people like separate layers. Some folks swear by camo patterns. I guess that might be important in sparse terrain but for where I hunt deer don't care so I wear what's comfortable. Where I hunt is usually windy and rain can come any time, so all my gear is water resistant(not waterproof, there's a difference) and wind resistant. I always pack a vest as they're great for layering without adding bulk. The downside to water resistant/wind proof is they sometimes aren't breathable so you'll sweat if you have to hike far. Which is another consideration. If you have to hike far you'll probably want lightweight clothes.
You didn't mention footwear but I'll address it. Merino socks are great as they breath but still help insulate, and the best clothing in the world won't matter if your footwear is subpar.

I am sorry i forgot to mention it, I live in northeast Alabama close to the Tennessee line. So it doesn't get too cold and I am going to be wearing insulated muck boots with wool socks as I won't have to walk far its gonna be a water access

Opposite end of the state here. Rubber boots base layers and a decent jacket and pants will do you for most of the season here. I bought a heavy jacket and pants set a few years ago (we’ll just call it in the 5 hundo range for the set). I wore the jacket once this past season and I’m not even sure where the pants are. I have some of the lighter weight scentlok stuff but also have alot of the Walmart synthetic thread stuff too. If you really want to spend some money there’s some systems out that are awful proud of their products. Most of which are useless here until we get that 100 year snow storm.

Last edited:
Pretty much what @Tr33_n1nj@ said. Where I live in VA is same kinda climate. I wear a scentlok tactix suit pretty much the entire season with maybe a vest over the top at the very end of the season. Occasionally I'll have to wear my thicker stuff but not often.

Last edited:
I like to run a wind proof soft shell outer, merino base and fleece mid layer when needed.

I run predator camo. Not for the camo itself although I do like an open pattern if I do wear camo at all, but mainly because it's well priced for what you get. Very high quality products and what I like about it is you can get away with wearing one system on its own most of the time. Last season I sat all day many times in 20 degree weather wearing under armor 4.0 base layer with the predator fleece suit and was comfortable all day. Wind proof is what you want.

I'm in the process of converting over to Sitka gear. We don't get a lot of cold weather but when we do, it's nice to be able to sit with 2-3 layers on versus 5-10 layers like I used to

Does anyone replace baselayer once you are at your tree or in your stand/saddle? I have a constant problem that my first layer is saturated with sweat, no matter how slow I go, or how light I am layered on my walk out. Early season, it is no big deal, but as the season goes on, that layer freezes and I don't get the insulation benefit.

I have a couple DIY solutions that I really love, but I don't hear many folks talking about a similar problem?

/Stags

Does anyone replace baselayer once you are at your tree or in your stand/saddle? I have a constant problem that my first layer is saturated with sweat, no matter how slow I go, or how light I am layered on my walk out. Early season, it is no big deal, but as the season goes on, that layer freezes and I don't get the insulation benefit.

I have a couple DIY solutions that I really love, but I don't hear many folks talking about a similar problem?

/Stags
I have a moisture wicking base layer I wear in when it's cold and leave the top layers rolled up and strapped on my backpack. Even on the coldest days up here a sweatshirt or long sleeve t-shirt is enough when moving. Once I get in the saddle/stand and make sure I'm cooled down and dry, I put the top layers on.

I have a moisture wicking base layer I wear in when it's cold and leave the top layers rolled up and strapped on my backpack. Even on the coldest days up here a sweatshirt or long sleeve t-shirt is enough when moving. Once I get in the saddle/stand and make sure I'm cooled down and dry, I put the top layers on.
Thanks @Jtaylor . Mind sharing what base layer you use? I have tried a bunch of different poly and poly-blends and still have the same issue. The moment I remove the layer, I get immediate satisfaction, and a much longer day of hunting. Hopefully the answer here isn't I am way out-of-shape.. ;)
/Stags

Thanks @Jtaylor . Mind sharing what base layer you use? I have tried a bunch of different poly and poly-blends and still have the same issue. The moment I remove the layer, I get immediate satisfaction, and a much longer day of hunting. Hopefully the answer here isn't I am way out-of-shape.. ;)
/Stags
Merino wool for me

/Stags
I sweat like a mofo. l've used merino wool base in the past and it does a pretty good job transporting sweat and cooling. I use scentlok baselayers now, they dry pretty quick. Poly blends will build heat quick but are good for sitting still. You could try merino base layers and/or carry an extra base layer in with the you and change at the tree. Because I sweat so much I only wear my baselayer top to the tree, my other top layers are lashed to my pack. I don't even put my top on for at least an hour. That's why I wear scentlok, to help(not eliminate) with odor control.

When its really hot an Under Armour heat gear t-shirt, cooler temps I bought some discounted Silvertec base layers years ago. And when it's really cold I have some military surplus polypro long johns. I still sweat a lot but I think the key is to allow yourself time to cool down before changing out/adding clothes. Oh and I forgot, I did buy some scentlok baseslayers last year too that work good in cool temps.

Thanks! Sounds like I can give Merino wool a try, but I don't think I am going to get away from swapping or removing layers in the field.
I actually started wearing an extra layer specifically to take off once I am at the tree. When it is really cold (15-30) no amount of wicking can beat *removing* the sweat I found.
/Stags

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The best things I've bought clothes wise are:

1. arctic shield boot blankets with chemical warmers....no need to walk in with 10 lbs of boot on your foot...with these I can hunt down to single digits with 400 gram thinsulate boots and medium weight socks
2. a packable puffy goose down jacket to put on at the tree....I don't think anything is warmer than quality down (mine is Sierra Design with a water repellent down)
3. wind shirts....these are the V necks that old guys wear golfing...carry to tree and put on once you are there....having an interior windproof layer adds major comfort
4. liner socks....a tighter liner sock under your main sock (or 2 liner socks, one looser, in warm weather) will save your feet from blisters as the liner acts like mole skin
5. XL polyester camo thick pajama bottoms....when bibs are not needed or practical to pack in.....you can get up in the tree and then put these on over your bottom layer (right over your cargo pants etc) and just leave bridge poking out, get one size too big because with stretch they go right over your boots and you can pull them up high and they overlap outside your top outer layer and form another wind blocking seal
6. Stormy Kromer Rancher cap
7. Fleece neck gaiters
8. hand muff tube
9. hot hands adhesive body warmers....stick one over each kidney and push down with arms.....feels like you just added 2 layers
10. alpaca socks....warmest socks I've owned....I bought from Warrior Alpaca (the toasty toes are their warmest ones, but I also have a lighter weight pair)

Best thing I quit using: rubber/neoprene slip on boots (Lacrosse etc).....just too uncomfortable and heavy for anything but a short walk.....I'll take the scent penalty.

Last edited:

This is key for me also. There is no gear so high tech that you can wear in everything you'll need to stay comfortable on stand at 20 F and not sweat like crazy on the way in. I have some dedicated bags for my outer layers. A sweet spot for me is that I should feel slightly cold at the beginning of my walk in and wondering if I should add another layer.

Back